Network Vision/LTE - East Iowa Market (Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Dubuque, Waterloo/Cedar Falls)

S4GRU

Yeah. It is brutal and don't see a light at the end of the tunnel since they don't much if any band 41 here. Which is sad since we have 500,000 people around here

What do you want them to do? They've already added a 2nd band 25 carrier on multiple sites, something many markets aren't capable of having. Other than a potential 15 Mhz band 41 carrier (which is questionable if it makes financial sense, and likely not possible until Wimax is shutdown) they can't do anything more. And we've been over that last sentence multiple times now...

Would I need to get a better phone? My iPhone 5s is only pulling down between 50k-800k on average here.

Since there is no B41 coverage right now, a newer phone likely won't make a difference, since the iPhone 5s can access both B25 carriers and B26. 

However, if you travel frequently to areas that do have B41 coverage, you might look into it.

Would I need to get a better phone? My iPhone 5s is only pulling down between 50k-800k on average here.

Keep in mind that WiMAX shuts down on Feb 4 and with your city's size, I would expect B41 deployment to follow sometime soon after...

Keep in mind that WiMAX shuts down on Feb 4 and with your city's size, I would expect B41 deployment to follow sometime soon after...

You're not current in this thread I take it. Clear/Sprint did/does not own much B41 spectrum in this market. Not enough to deploy a standard B41 carrier, so the WiMax shutdown will make very little different here.

You're not current in this thread I take it. Clear/Sprint did/does not own much B41 spectrum in this market. Not enough to deploy a standard B41 carrier, so the WiMax shutdown will make very little different here.

How much 2.5 does sprint have?

• Like 1

How much 2.5 does sprint have?

See the post 8 posts up from Tim.

Tim only did a BRS search. There is a 15 Mhz contiguous channel of leased EBS spectrum when Wimax shuts down in the Quad Cities as well. This is one of a few  markets where a local WISP got to BRS/EBS instead of Clearwire.  Still substandard spectrum for a standard Band 41 carrier though.

• Like 1

Tim only did a BRS search. There is a 15 Mhz contiguous channel of leased EBS spectrum when Wimax shuts down in the Quad Cities as well. This is one of a few markets where a local WISP got to BRS/EBS instead of Clearwire. Still substandard spectrum for a standard Band 41 carrier though.

I guess cross your fingers for a 15mhz B41 carrier. Something is better than nothing, right?

No. EARFCNs don't lie. 

The 2 Clear sites were protection sites deployed to meet FCC buildout requirements. They were deployed to "protect" the 6 MHz (2618-2624 MHz) of total  spectrum clearwire is licensed there from being taken back by the FCC.

Speedconnect is licensed all the rest and uses it. No agreement whatsoever with Sprint have been discovered. 

Tim only did a BRS search. There is a 15 Mhz contiguous channel of leased EBS spectrum when Wimax shuts down in the Quad Cities as well. This is one of a few  markets where a local WISP got to BRS/EBS instead of Clearwire.  Still substandard spectrum for a standard Band 41 carrier though.

Someone put together a comprehensive list of the SpeedConnect BRS/EBS holdings in the Quad Cities.  For BRS, Sprint holds the BRS 2 6 MHz TDD block.  Is it contiguous with SpeedConnect BRS spectrum?  If so, Sprint probably could flip the license to SpeedConnect in exchange for Sprint to get more contiguous EBS spectrum that would allow Sprint to deploy 20 MHz TDD, rather than 15 MHz TDD after the WiMAX sunset.

AJ

• Like 1

Someone put together a comprehensive list of the SpeedConnect BRS/EBS holdings in the Quad Cities.  For BRS, Sprint holds the BRS 2 6 MHz TDD block.  Is it contiguous with SpeedConnect BRS spectrum?  If so, Sprint probably could flip the license to SpeedConnect in exchange for Sprint to get more contiguous EBS spectrum that would allow Sprint to deploy 20 MHz TDD, rather than 15 MHz TDD after the WiMAX sunset.

AJ

That was me. SpeedConnect literally has everything but the BRS 2 and EBS G blocks. Hypothetically something could be worked out i.e. BRS 2 for BRS H3 or the EBS for BRS spectrum next to BRS 2.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much as far as I know...

What about Iowa City? I know Speedconnect owns the B41 there too, but does Sprint have enough spectrum to add a second B25 carrier? Or even just filling out the current coverage there- it is abysmal.

What about Iowa City? I know Speedconnect owns the B41 there too, but does Sprint have enough spectrum to add a second B25 carrier? Or even just filling out the current coverage there- it is abysmal.

I'm pretty sure we've seen the second carrier in Iowa city.

Someone put together a comprehensive list of the SpeedConnect BRS/EBS holdings in the Quad Cities. For BRS, Sprint holds the BRS 2 6 MHz TDD block. Is it contiguous with SpeedConnect BRS spectrum? If so, Sprint probably could flip the license to SpeedConnect in exchange for Sprint to get more contiguous EBS spectrum that would allow Sprint to deploy 20 MHz TDD, rather than 15 MHz TDD after the WiMAX sunset.

AJ

If this were to happen. Hypothetically, how long of a process would that be given both parties where willing to do it?

I'm pretty sure we've seen the second carrier in Iowa city.

Really? I've stood near to several towers at 6 or 7 am (Non peak times) and haven't gotten more than 10ish. Also, is there any word about densification? The coverage map shows "best" for most of IC and Coralville and Sensorly shows good coverage, but that is NOT my experience or that of anyone I know.

Really? I've stood near to several towers at 6 or 7 am (Non peak times) and haven't gotten more than 10ish. Also, is there any word about densification? The coverage map shows "best" for most of IC and Coralville and Sensorly shows good coverage, but that is NOT my experience or that of anyone I know.

Your profile says 5s, no B41.

Your profile says 5s, no B41.

I also have a iPhone 6S w/ B41 (Thanks for reminding me to add it to my device profile :) ), but if you saw the previous conversations, IC and Coralville doesn't have B41

Edited by SkyGuy98

but does Sprint have enough spectrum to add a second B25 carrier? Or even just filling out the current coverage there- it is abysmal.

The PCS B block is split with Verizon there so they shouldn't. That said bretton88 has posted a 2nd carrier shot he said was from Iowa City. There was also a similar sighting in Western Iowa of what appeared to be a second carrier from somewhere that theoretically shouldn't have it. It is hard to say if it is a signal check error or if some spectrum was refarmed without seeing engineering screens.

Also lets not go overboard with things like "abysmal." Site spacing in Iowa City is fairly standard.

Also, is there any word about densification?

No and other than being a college town Iowa City would be pretty low on the list.

If this were to happen. Hypothetically, how long of a process would that be given both parties where willing to do it?

It would still take a while. First, as it stands right now it has been about 3 months since any progress has been observed in Iowa or Nebraska. Second,  you'd  have to go through the entire process that comes with any site work i.e. permitting, scheduling crews, potentially upgrading backhaul, budgeting, etc.