Network Vision/LTE - East Iowa Market (Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Dubuque, Waterloo/Cedar Falls)

S4GRU

I-380 is one of the heaviest traveled interstates in the United States.  It's a spur off I80 which is the heaviest traveled interstate highway in the entire USA.  The corridor between the quad cities and I35 in Des Moines is the heaviest traveled stretch of the heaviest traveled interstate in the US

Traffic volumes vary from 47,000 to 83,500 vehicles per day

Yeah I think you've got your facts wrong. I-80 in general is "heaviest traveled" because it is the longest interstate. The section in Iowa is certainly not the heaviest traveled stretch in the county. 

Traffic volume data from 2011, the most recent year available, show that the I-5 in California was the nation’s busiest interstate, with 21.4 billion miles traveled that year. California’s neighboring I-10 and I-110 followed as the second and third busiest, respectively. Los Angeles’ section of I-405 serves an estimated 379,000 vehicles per day, making it the busiest interstate in any American city.

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/new-fhwa-report-reveals-states-busiest-highways#sthash.23EI9qIX.dpuf

The busiest stretch of I-80, known as the Eastshore Freeway in the San Francisco/Oakland area, carries almost 300,000 vehicles a day.

I-45 in Houston carries more than 310,000 vehicles a day, making it the eighth-busiest interstate segment

• Like 1

I-380 is one of the heaviest traveled interstates in the United States.

No a spur from Iowa City to Cedar Rapids is probably not one of the heaviest traveled interstates in the country.

http://mobility.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ccr-all-table-rankings.pdf#page=3

Edit: David's link has I-380 statistics and indeed it isn't the most traveled section of interstate in Iowa.

IDOT would disagree with you considering they're the ones that said it you can take it up with them.

The busiest spot on Iowa's roadways is on I-235 in Des Moines between 56th Street and 42nd Street where the average daily traffic in 2014 was 127,100 vehicles per day.

http://www.iowadot.gov/about/traffic.html

• 1 month later...

Speaking of multiple carriers- I heard rumor that Des Moines is turning on 3xCA. Sounds great, yet us in eastern IA are stuck w/o B41 and contiguous B25 carriers. Such is life, oh well ;) . *Shrugs*

They are supposed to be expanding to a single 10x10 or possibly a 15x15 b25 carrier in the Quad City area in the coming months... So at least we have something to look forward to

10x10 B25 when the PCS swap deal is completed. FCC is still holding all the spectrum swap deals up but it's expected to be done by this fall. 

Can anyone make sense of this? I picked this up earlier today...

You did not pick up anything.  Those are engineering screen null values.

AJ

Figured that... Does anyone of the big four actual use/plan to use band 44? Just curious

Band 44 is not possible in the US.

AJ

So this just appeared in Cedar Rapids. I'll try to get engineering screens (I don't remember the code for Samsung phones) if I see it again. It's not supposed to be possible here, so further investigation will be needed.

a21c21557ab7b8ea67b7d62293cfd738.jpg

• Like 1

So this just appeared in Cedar Rapids. I'll try to get engineering screens (I don't remember the code for Samsung phones) if I see it again. It's not supposed to be possible here, so further investigation will be needed.

It's good to see 10Mhz B25 in CR, but I wonder if it really is CA or just semi-adjacent bandwidths because as far as I know, CR & IC barely have 5Mhz to give, let along 10.

eff8eeb34529d69649bbd8c12eb6836f.jpg57907e976ed31853ffe9baea5dcd00c6.jpg

Two more from the center point and 32nd St tower (different tower than the first screens). Is the second carrier actually going live? How can Sprint free up enough spectrum for this to happen here? The more I look at it unless I'm missing something, I think it might be a glitch report.

It's good to see 10Mhz B25 in CR, but I wonder if it really is CA or just semi-adjacent bandwidths because as far as I know, CR & IC barely have 5Mhz to give, let along 10.

I wish that staff did not have to keep repeating this, but there is no 2x CA in band 25, only in band 41.

AJ

• Like 1

Two more from the center point and 32nd St tower (different tower than the first screens). Is the second carrier actually going live? How can Sprint free up enough spectrum for this to happen here? The more I look at it unless I'm missing something, I think it might be a glitch report.

Sprint has been heavily trimming CDMA carriers in favor of LTE, even in markets with limited spectrum. Omaha and Minneapolis have the same situation going on. 

I wish that staff did not have to keep repeating this, but there is no 2x CA in band 25, only in band 41.

AJ

Sorry, my bad. [emoji15] I know I heard of a few select 2xB25 tests, but I don't know why I thought it was even being deployed. Either way, a second carrier (even not aggregated) relieves things immensely in a non-B41 market. Edited by SkyGuy98

Sorry, my bad. [emoji15] I know I heard of a few select 2xB25 tests, but I don't know why I thought it was even being deployed. Either way, a second carrier (even not aggregated) relieves things immensely in a non-B41 market.

Yeah, what's happening is in select markets Sprint is able to either broadcast a single 10x10 B25 carrier for LTE, or 2 separate 5x5 B25 carriers, both which help for capacity, and the 10x10 for speeds.