HTC upgrades it's devices faster than any other mfg

kckid

http://bgr.com/2012/12/21/android-updates-manufacturers-carriers-262823/#more-262823

HTC fared the best when it came to updating its devices, with an average time of 4.8 months, although Samsung’s updating schedule dramatically improved with its Galaxy S III smartphone, which was updated in an average of four and a half months.

On the carrier side of things, T-Mobile was found to be the most reliable with an average time of 5.8 months for updating devices. Sprint is the second best with an average of 6.5 months and unsurprisingly AT&T and Verizon are found at the bottom of the pack with average times of 7.8 months and 8 months, respectively.

lol. Not sure how they got their data but I'm never buying an HTC device again because of their update schedule. They drag their feet for months releasing source code and waiting for ICS on my 3D was ridiculous. The thunderbolt is supposed to receive ICS and it still hasn't got it. That phone is what, over two years old?

So Samsung gets it right with one new device.... Let them keep that up before you praise them as HTC on average has been ahead of the pack.... Numbers don't lie my friends...

Gotta love the carrier numbers too! I have a coworker that has the SGS3 on ATT and STILL has NO JB update!! Haha

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I would have to chime in on nova46's comments. They really stalled out on the EVO 4G. It is one of the reasons I went to the S3 vs the EVO LTE

Say what? When the evo 4g was released it came with eclair, the evo 4g was the very first android phone to get updated to froyo after the nexus and it was also one of the first devices to get gingerbread so how did they stalled on the evo 4g?

• Like 2

So Samsung gets it right with one new device.... Let them keep that up before you praise them as HTC on average has been ahead of the pack.... Numbers don't lie my friends...

Gotta love the carrier numbers too! I have a coworker that has the SGS3 on ATT and STILL has NO JB update!! Haha

Exactly, my ears are still ringing from all the countless complaints because of samsung stalling when it comes software support for the gs1/epic 4g, gs2/epic touch.

lol. Not sure how they got their data but I'm never buying an HTC device again because of their update schedule. They drag their feet for months releasing source code and waiting for ICS on my 3D was ridiculous. The thunderbolt is supposed to receive ICS and it still hasn't got it. That phone is what, over two years old?

The 3d was one of those anomalies. I really loved my evo 3d but the 3d feature itself was its downfall in so many ways but most importantly it made things a little bit more difficult for developers. As far as other htc devices around that time like the sensation, it didn't take that long for that to receive an ics update.

That is because AT&T did not push it out as an OTA Software Update. You have to get it via Kies. The GS3 has JB on every major carrier in the U.S.

If you have to go and get it, its not officially out for it...

I'm not going to consider HTC again until they consolidate their devices. They keep spitting out phones every two months or so. You have the One X, then a few months later the One X+, then a month or two later the Droid DNA, and in January/Feb they'll have something else. And then there's all the lower end One variants that I can't even keep track of. With so many phones its no wonder they suck at updating software. I think Samsung has the best strategy here. Bring all you've got to the table with one flagship, advertise the hell out of it, and focus on keeping the software up to date without having to worry about ten different variants of it. Then a year later, bring out a new one.

I have the Optimus G now and I'm curious to see how LG handles updates. I'm skeptical which is why I bought it off contract so if they decide to abandon it then I can jump to another phone without paying out the ass.

I'm not going to consider HTC again until they consolidate their devices. They keep spitting out phones every two months or so. You have the One X, then a few months later the One X+, then a month or two later the Droid DNA, and in January/Feb they'll have something else. And then there's all the lower end One variants that I can't even keep track of. With so many phones its no wonder they suck at updating software. I think Samsung has the best strategy here. Bring all you've got to the table with one flagship, advertise the hell out of it, and focus on keeping the software up to date without having to worry about ten different variants of it. Then a year later, bring out a new one.

I have the Optimus G now and I'm curious to see how LG handles updates. I'm skeptical which is why I bought it off contract so if they decide to abandon it then I can jump to another phone without paying out the ass.

LMAO!!!!!!!!

This post got me cracking up. So you won't consider htc again but you go and buy an lg? They are by far the worse when it comes to software support for their phones. I do agree that htc releases to many flagship devices though and that their lack of effective marketing is whats really doing them in. As far as lower end devices, samsung has just as many as htc does so that point is invalid.

• Like 1

LMAO!!!!!!!!

This post got me cracking up. So you won't consider htc again but you go and buy an lg? They are by far the worse when it comes to software support for their phones. I do agree that htc releases to many flagship devices though and that their lack of effective marketing is whats really doing them in. As far as lower end devices, samsung has just as many as htc does so that point is invalid.

Which is why I bought the phone off contract... This is LG's first real flagship competitor and I wanted to try it out. Maybe this is where LG turns around. If not, I'll get rid of it and try something else. I'll agree with you about low end phone nes for Samsung and HTC. But it's the flagships that carry your brand image and that's where HTC is failing miserably. The One X is actually a really great phone but they didn't go about it as they should have.

But I'm just sick of HTC, I've been with them too long. I had the Evo 4G and the 3D. Sense used to be a huge plus, now it's a con. It's old and stale. And they still can't seem to figure out that on a 4.3" screen and above, the top of the phone is not the right place to put the power button. It's a pain in the ass. LG and Samsung have some sense to them and put it on the side. Also I wanted to stay with Sprint and the Evo LTE is the tackiest looking phone I've ever seen so that was out of the question. LG has really impressed me with the Optimus G and HTC just doesn't do that for me anymore.

Edited by nova46

We waited a long, long time for an ICS update to the Gingerbread LG Viper. And ICS was promised soon when it started to sell.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Which is why I bought the phone off contract... This is LG's first real flagship competitor and I wanted to try it out. Maybe this is where LG turns around. If not, I'll get rid of it and try something else. I'll agree with you about low end phone nes for Samsung and HTC. But it's the flagships that carry your brand image and that's where HTC is failing miserably. The One X is actually a really great phone but they didn't go about it as they should have.

But I'm just sick of HTC, I've been with them too long. I had the Evo 4G and the 3D. Sense used to be a huge plus, now it's a con. It's old and stale. And they still can't seem to figure out that on a 4.3" screen and above, the top of the phone is not the right place to put the power button. It's a pain in the ass. LG and Samsung have some sense to them and put it on the side. Also I wanted to stay with Sprint and the Evo LTE is the tackiest looking phone I've ever seen so that was out of the question. LG has really impressed me with the Optimus G and HTC just doesn't do that for me anymore.

LG put the power button for the Viper and the Optimus Elite on the top. The Optimus G is the 1st they put on the side for the phones they have released this year on Sprint.

We waited a long, long time for an ICS update to the Gingerbread LG Viper. And ICS was promised soon when it started to sell.

April to November was way too long. The only thing LG has going for them now is the fact that the Nexus 4 is built by them. It may be the turn around that they need to survive this industry.

• Like 1

April to November was way too long. The only thing LG has going for them now is the fact that the Nexus 4 is built by them. It may be the turn around that they need to survive this industry.

Samsung was able to get the GS3 to Jelly Bean by the time LG could even get the Viper to ICS.

Which is why I bought the phone off contract... This is LG's first real flagship competitor and I wanted to try it out. Maybe this is where LG turns around. If not, I'll get rid of it and try something else.

Lg's issue isn't hardware, its software support. They have always had flagship devices but they never supported them. If I am not mistaken, Lg came out with the first dual core phone(optimus 2x, I think) and never really supported it once it was released, they were also one of the first to come out with a 720p phone (lg nitro, I think) and where was the support for that? Now here we go again with lg releasing one of the first quad core phones and no more than a few days after release they already rumored to have a 1080p phone to be released in the spring. I don't see the optimus g getting jeallybean until this new phone is released but hopefully I am proven wrong. As far as the placement of the power button, that is subjective being that I still prefer it to be on top than on the side, I find myself constantly hitting the power button on my nexus during regular use.

• Like 2

Lg's issue isn't hardware, its software support. They have always had flagship devices but they never supported them. If I am not mistaken, Lg came out with the first dual core phone(optimus 2x, I think) and never really supported it once it was released, they were also one of the first to come out with a 720p phone (lg nitro, I think) and where was the support for that? Now here we go again with lg releasing one of the first quad core phones and no more than a few days after release they already rumored to have a 1080p phone to be released in the spring. I don't see the optimus g getting jeallybean until this new phone is released but hopefully I am proven wrong. As far as the placement of the power button, that is subjective being that I still prefer it to be on top than on the side, I find myself constantly hitting the power button on my nexus during regular use.

You know your attempts to rationalize are pointless. His posts are what one could call rants :lol:

• Like 2

If you have to go and get it, its not officially out for it...

No offense, but your comment sounds dumb... Sorry, but think about it; the update is there. If your phone doesn't automatically notify you, that doesn't mean that it's not officially out. I see as any other product, you go out and get. Now if it comes to my front door, then that's just an added benefit.

If a company says "The update is out....", that pretty much says it's 'officially' out there.

-Luis

P.S. this is an afterthought, but when HTC released JB for the EVOLTE, Sprint supposedly was going to start pushing it out on January... I had to go out and get it, does that means it wasn't officially out?

No offense, but your comment sounds dumb... Sorry, but think about it; the update is there. If your phone doesn't automatically notify you, that doesn't mean that it's not officially out. I see as any other product, you go out and get. Now if it comes to my front door, then that's just an added benefit.

If a company says "The update is out....", that pretty much says it's 'officially' out there.

-Luis

P.S. this is an afterthought, but when HTC released JB for the EVOLTE, Sprint supposedly was going to start pushing it out on January... I had to go out and get it, does that means it wasn't officially out?

People should realize when you say "no offense...." You likely should just stop there as your about to offend someone...

I'm not talking about it being pushed. I'm strictly saying if the phone can PULL it which at this point in time it can't. The only way to get the update is to go download the update and force it. ...

If you wanna put that more on ATT then fine, but the fact ATT isn't allowing it to be pushed or even manually pulled via OTA says something in itself...

• Like 3