Signal issues with the galaxy nexus

rwhittaker13

Well, as i have gotten a galaxy nexus at long last, ive noticed that other sprint phones have been constantly getting better signal than my phone has. For example, when i went to the sprint store, my phone varies from 1-2 bars in the store. When i would go over to any other sprint phones, they would have at least 3-5 bars. And this was more than just one different sprint phone that did it, it was every phone in the store that had a better signal than mine, except for the galaxy nexus at the store. It had the same signal strength as mine did.. Radio issue possibly??

Well, as i have gotten a galaxy nexus at long last, ive noticed that other sprint phones have been constantly getting better signal than my phone has. For example, when i went to the sprint store, my phone varies from 1-2 bars in the store. When i would go over to any other sprint phones, they would have at least 3-5 bars. And this was more than just one different sprint phone that did it, it was every phone in the store that had a better signal than mine, except for the galaxy nexus at the store. It had the same signal strength as mine did.. Radio issue possibly??

Did you look at the actual signal numbers? Or just the bars? There is nothing scientific about the bars.

• Like 1

Did you look at the actual signal numbers? Or just the bars? There is nothing scientific about the bars.

Yes, i have looked at the dBm values. At times, the difference between my value and other sprint phones values ranged from a 4 to 10 dBm difference. When one sprint phone would have a -93dBm signal strength, mine would be around -105 to -109dBm signal strength.. I can not figure out why this happens Edited by rwhittaker13

Yes, i have looked at the dBm values. At times, the difference between my value and other sprint phones values ranged from a 4 to 10 dBm difference. When one sprint phone would have a -93dBm signal strength, mine would be around -105 to -109dBm signal strength.. I can not figure out why this happens

It is possible that the nexus has a slightly weaker radio... I have noticed slightly improved signal strength numbers and bars since going from the gnex to the gs3, but I have not noticed additional coverage area due to the "better" signal strength. There are a couple places that I occasionally visit that I would drop calls and/or have no signal with the gnex, and the GS3 behaves the same in those areas.

Part of the problem seems to be that the Galaxy Nexus uses an off brand VIA Telecom baseband for its CDMA2000 chipset. Honestly, this late in the game, I do not know why you would want to pick up a Galaxy Nexus.

AJ

Part of the problem seems to be that the Galaxy Nexus uses an off brand VIA Telecom baseband for its CDMA2000 chipset. Honestly, this late in the game, I do not know why you would want to pick up a Galaxy Nexus.

AJ

Because of my broken LG Viper, sprint said they would replace my phone with a different model and the galaxy nexus was the other model i could choose to replace the viper with, so i did. Not a bad phone really, it still lives up to its name.

The Galaxy Nexus has the weakest 1x/EVDO radio performance of all Sprint LTE devices I've tested. On par with one of the weakest devices of all time...the Samsung Epic 4G.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 2

The Galaxy Nexus has the weakest 1x/EVDO radio performance of all Sprint LTE devices I've tested. On par with one of the weakest devices of all time...the Samsung Epic 4G.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Full agreement there..

• Like 2

finally got something helpful....

Sometimes it helps to be a HAM radio licensee..:) I worked my way up to a level 3 escalation on the airave where i had sprint and airvana directly involved. It turns out there is a known issue with the airvana 2.5 and andriod LTE devices. the phones try to query the airvana for LTE which fails...the phone then de-registers from the airave and then recycles on 3g and connects. Things are fine until the phone tries to find 4G at the airave again..rinse repeat. This only affects the 2.5 AFAIK. The solution is to disable 4g and lock the phone into 3g when on the airave. I've also noticed the signal the 2.5 is throwing out is very hot. I live in a 2200 sqft house but i had to have them turn it down to 1500sqft to keep the rest of the phones from getting blasted off the air as well.(google receiver rf detuning). Airvana now has an active ticket on this inssue internally on their end as well...here's to hoping this will get fixed now. I've now got the reduced power and the 4G disabled on my GNEX. I'll report back with the results.

• 1 month later...

well the issue has accelerated. my gnex now drops the airvana completely on a regular basis. it appears either sprint or the device itself keeps jacking the rf output up to high and that's blasting phones off the airvana again. What a piece of junk.

according to sprint on the airave when the system polls for 4g the airave can and does often drop the device that did the 4g poll while connected to the airave. it having a via chipset explains quite a bit on my signal issues.

I don't believe that at all unless maybe it picks up a fringe LTE signal that is unusable.

Just not the way it works. Kinda like saying your phone will drop the 1x connection to scan for EVDO.

Sent from my little Note2

that's what i been told by more than one level 3 airave technician. My symptoms and further research bear that out. Various sprint forums have multiple threads on multiple Android phones and the 2.5. i even have an offer from Sprint airave tech support that if i can find a 2.0 on ebay up to a certain amount all i have to do is grab it, send them proof of purchase and they'll credit my account for the purchase. i just called back this morning and that offer is legit...so it's a major issue that's just being kept under wraps right now. Here's to hoping sprint gets this fixed right quick. You can't get more definitive than that.

I don't believe that at all unless maybe it picks up a fringe LTE signal that is unusable.

Just not the way it works. Kinda like saying your phone will drop the 1x connection to scan for EVDO.

Sent from my little Note2

I will rephrase..when the phone polls for 4g while connected to the airave the airave can and usually does drop the device doing the polling especially if the device is andriod based...it's due to a bug in the firmware of the airave.

• 1 month later...

This thread explains my signal frustration. Anyone else's Gnex get exceptionally hot on the top half of the phone? Pretty much any activity is causing my phone to get really hot.

This thread explains my signal frustration. Anyone else's Gnex get exceptionally hot on the top half of the phone? Pretty much any activity is causing my phone to get really hot.

Yep. All the time. I'm taking mine in tomorrow, and as soon as I get the replacement, I'm selling it on ebay to subsidize the cost of my new iPhone 5. Good thing I kept my EVO Shift around for something, lol.