HELP!!! Early upgrade program

kckid

My wife's contract is not up until May she has a Moto Photon, but wants and iphone 5. I thought Spring offered an early upgrade program where I could buy out the remaining months of the contract and upgrade. I called customer service and the supervisor said it is no longer available. Is that true? Other than paying full price for the iPhone 5, is there another cost effective option?

Go into a store and they can do it for you. Just know that you have to give them the Photon

Only Corporate Stores can do this, btw. Preferred Retailers (like "Sprint Store by Wireless Revolution") can't. For some odd reason. It's rather annoying.
  • Like 1

Go into a store and they can do it for you. Just know that you have to give them the Photon

if you are buying out the ETF, then you should keep any existing phone.

I ported to Google Voice for $20, then got a new line of service, then ported the number back over the top of the new line. Only had to pay $20 above the ETF. There is a little bit of time getting that done, but to save $300, it was worth it. I actually did it twice, so if you have any questions, let me know!

WHen I did it for my mother's phone in August, I had to turn in her POS Transform.

Well that's jack'ed up, I would have refused, even if it was a pos flip phone.

But maybe they are trying to do that instead of requiring you to port out/back like hankbear.

It says temporarily in all the internal stuff. I believe they are going to revamp the program and bring it back after a month or two like they did when they switched the mail in rebate program last year.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Is it possible they are waiting until new phones that have 800 LTE and or Clearwire's LTE built in before reinstating the program?

Should/would have zero to do with the program btw... The program is all about them being able to offer the customers something where they don't have to bend over and take a loss overall on the deal... Most likely they have seen something they wanna tweak after running extensive numbers on it...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Should/would have zero to do with the program btw... The program is all about them being able to offer the customers something where they don't have to bend over and take a loss overall on the deal... Most likely they have seen something they wanna tweak after running extensive numbers on it...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

THIS ;)

The reason it is suspended until further notice I believe is because of the Galaxy S3 buy one get one sale. Many people have been running to the store to buy out their contracts to upgrade to a new Galaxy S3. We were in a Manhattan store to get my wife's phone fixed and there were a whole bunch of people trying to do this. They said that if you buy out your contract, you are not eligible for the promotion, but this did not stop some people. I think you will see the program reinstated after the holiday sales. Guess it pays to have your contract end around the holidays ;) .

The reason it is suspended until further notice I believe is because of the Galaxy S3 buy one get one sale. Many people have been running to the store to buy out their contracts to upgrade to a new Galaxy S3. We were in a Manhattan store to get my wife's phone fixed and there were a whole bunch of people trying to do this. They said that if you buy out your contract, you are not eligible for the promotion, but this did not stop some people. I think you will see the program reinstated after the holiday sales. Guess it pays to have your contract end around the holidays ;) .

You are on to something. We have people coming daily saying customer care told them they could do upgrade now and the bogo. My store is smart enough yo know the rules but others and customer care are not.There is nothing stopping you from ringing it up so id imagine there has been widespread combining of the offers nationwide even though its been brought up repeatedly that you cant do it through internal communications.

A buddy of mine almost got screwed by this change. He had been in contact with CS for a few days, got everything in order, but do to work couldn't go to the Sprint store until yesterday. He gets in there and the program was discontinued. Thankfully, CS stood by their word and got him taken care of today.

You are on to something. We have people coming daily saying customer care told them they could do upgrade now and the bogo. My store is smart enough yo know the rules but others and customer care are not.There is nothing stopping you from ringing it up so id imagine there has been widespread combining of the offers nationwide even though its been brought up repeatedly that you cant do it through internal communications.

Unfortunately I think the main reason these programs go away is because there is no systematic enforcement (due to system limitations, which over the years have decreased substantially, but do still exist). Reps are willing to break the rules for the sale and as such when it gets to be a large enough problem, the programs disappear. If the rules can't be enforced by the system and lower management isn't holding their employees accountable, bye bye. The programs aren't there to make Sprint money directly, but rather indirectly. Stacking multiple loss programs together just compounds the loss to the company, potentially beyond the point of profit. Buy One Get One Free, buying out the contract for a set price obviously less than the cost Sprint would make up with monthly service costs, add to this other programs like $100 off offers for adding Home phone service (Sprint Phone Connect) and a tablet ($100 off if purchased and activated with a smartphone on the account). They all add up, and every one of them loses Sprint more money.

• 2 weeks later...