EVO 4G LTE Android Jelly Bean Update 3.15.651.16

wjrandon

So I've noticed a pretty significant drop in battery life since doing the update. My phone has been unplugged for 4 hours and its been sitting on my desk since I got to work this morning and I haven't used it much but its down to 74% battery life where normally I used to be around 85% at this time. The "Connections Optimizer" that they added has exponentially improved the EVO's ability to connect to LTE on its own, but I'm thinking that same connections optimizer is destroying my battery life. Has anyone else noticed a difference in battery life since the update?

On the stock keyboard, hold down the "." (period) button ... is that what you are looking for?

Yes! I didn't see it the first time, also, the google voice input option showed up for me. When I looked last night after the update it wasn't available to be selected yet. Kind of a hassle though, you would have to open a text box up, then drag down the top bar to change the input method, but, it does default back to the swype keyboard then.

Yes! I didn't see it the first time, also, the google voice input option showed up for me. When I looked last night after the upgrade it wasn't available to be selected yet. Kind of a hassle though, you would have to open a text box up, then drag down the top bar to change the input method, but, it does default back to the swype keyboard then.

I know what ya mean. I've been typing so many errors on the stock keyboard and keep forgetting numbers are now in the left hand corner. Will take a bit to get used to.

I know what ya mean. I've been typing so many errors on the stock keyboard and keep forgetting numbers are now in the left hand corner. Will take a bit to get used to.

Gotta love our first world problems ;)

• Like 1

I have the "thumb keyboard".. it works super!!!!! And i can be configured to display it like this:

tygetu6a.jpg

posted using J.A.R.V.I.S.

So I've noticed a pretty significant drop in battery life since doing the update. My phone has been unplugged for 4 hours and its been sitting on my desk since I got to work this morning and I haven't used it much but its down to 74% battery life where normally I used to be around 85% at this time. The "Connections Optimizer" that they added has exponentially improved the EVO's ability to connect to LTE on its own, but I'm thinking that same connections optimizer is destroying my battery life. Has anyone else noticed a difference in battery life since the update?

It's always best when major changes have been made to give the device at least a couple of charge/discharge cycles before making any determination about battery life effects. There may have been battery intensive things going on behind the scenes following the update that won't be a factor from now on.

I do like the new Power screen now.

ymFUD.png?1

It's always best when major changes have been made to give the device at least a couple of charge/discharge cycles before making any determination about battery life effects. There may have been battery intensive things going on behind the scenes following the update that won't be a factor from now on.

I do like the new Power screen now.

ymFUD.png?1

Wow, that is cool.

So I finally managed to fix the TWRP, I had slept on it and i remembered that I had the stock recovery img.

So far, so good I think the minor UI changes look amazing. They really did tidy up all the loose ends on this JB update. As far as connecting to LTE I really won't know until I go out later today. I'll let you all know how it goes.

-Luis

I have not figured it out yet, but the one thing that has changed is the *#*#4636#*#* testing. I tried to go lte only last night and it never connected. went back to the normal cdma+ lte/evdo and it connected to 4g fine, but it still drops that very quickly for 3g.

The connection optimizer is for wifi. It watches all the access points your phone sees during the day. It makes note of the gps locations and sid and base station ids of where you connected to them. Keeps track of the amount of data used on the WiFi etc. It uses all this to figure out where you use wifi. And from what I read it will attach to open wifi by itself as well. Haven't seen it do that but that's just bad from a security stand point as your data is not encrypted.

Once it figures out where you use wifi it will occasionally check to make sure you didn't accidentally turn off wifi and you are using the network while at a place you used wifi before. It will automatically kick you over to wifi.

Smart little way of offloading dumb people but I prefer to do my own managing of network connections. Definitely something I remove and/or freeze on my phone as it is still open even if you turn it off.

And not even getting into the other smart device manager service running too.

Sent from a little old Note 2

nice to see flash still works with the stock browser after the jelly bean update. I was ready to side load flash and firefox to keep flash working like I did on my Nexus 7. I thought flash wasn't supported in jelly bean nice to see it stil works.

nice to see flash still works with the stock browser after the jelly bean update. I was ready to side load flash and firefox to keep flash working like I did on my Nexus 7. I thought flash wasn't supported in jelly bean nice to see it stil works.

You're right. I had already installed Firefox before I discovered that the stock browser still supported flash.

Just got Jelly Bean this morning. It broke my WIFI network. Settings say I'm connected, but all I get is voice mail - NO DATA! Anyone else having problems? Ideas or suggestions?

Ive had that issue ever since the last update. Its seems somewhat better after the jb update but still not as good as the original ics.

Day 2 with Jellybean:

I had to drive from Overland Park to Crown Center in Kansas City for lunch, which is about 25 miles. I watched my phone the whole way and had 4G for almost all of the trip. It went to 3G for about a mile and then switched back to 4G. On the way back, it started out as 3G from the parking garage, but switched to 4G after a short drive. I took a different route home and stayed connected to 4G for a majority of the time and when it was 3G, it automatically switched back to 4G. I would say I was connect 4G about 93% of the trip. I never had to toggle to airplane mode to get 4G back. Yes maybe it would have occurred faster, who knows.

I also used sensorly to map a previously unmapped 4G area. :tu:

So far I am happy with the updates.

• Like 1

I decided to check it out and I did not like it. It seems like HTC took a step backward with this update in terms of bloatware. When I first seen Sense 4 when I first got this phone I was impressed at how little bloat, at least for sense, there was. It felt leaner but now with Sense 4+ it just reminds me of the Evo 3D again with how much garbage they decided to put back on it. Needless to say I won't be using it as my daily ROM.

Sent from my rooted LTEVO running CM10.

There is no bloatware. They actually took off a lot of stuff, like HTC Hub.

Things like power saver and connection optimizer are bloatware that assumes we're all morons and can't manage our own phones.

Things like power saver and connection optimizer are bloatware that assumes we're all morons and can't manage our own phones.

Exactly. Clean down to the bone is the way I do my roms.

Sent from a little old Note 2

• Like 1

I just read this whole thread to see if anybody went from CM10 back to Sense. I got my answer, but I should have started at the last post and worked backward. :pinch:

I think I'll stick with CM10.

• Like 1

I think the connection optimizer would help me out since I'm always in places with little to no signal but decent WiFi speeds. I think I may like this thing more than I expected.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2