One week with the RAZR MAXX

4ringsnbr

Pretty much all 850-- specifically, channel 242 is most often what I hit for 1x. 37, 78, 119, 160, & 201 are all EV carriers here. They also run Ev carriers in PCS-- more toward midcity areas of town that are more densely-populated. NOLA is still mostly PCS for Ev also.

Since you idle most often on 242, you most likely hash to F2, since 283 (which used to be about as close a center frequency as a CDMA carrier could get to the AMPS control channels) is almost always designated F1 on the Cellular A-side.

And VZW uses 41 channel CDMA carrier spacing in your market. VZW does the same in my market, though I have seen others use 42 channel spacing.

AJ

Since you idle most often on 242, you most likely hash to F2, since 283 (which used to be about as close a center frequency as a CDMA carrier could get to the AMPS control channels) is almost always designated F1 on the Cellular A-side.

And VZW uses 41 channel CDMA carrier spacing in your market. VZW does the same in my market, though I have seen others use 42 channel spacing.

AJ

I haven't taken the time to calculate my hash function with my new IMEI (too much going on at work lately), but that sounds plausible. Also, I thought I'd seen Ev on 1019 (also 41 channels below 37), but not here at my house. I spend most of my time on LTE anyway, so I probably just haven't seen it YET. I've never seen 42 channel spacing for CDMA in 850, but wouldn't they only be able to get in 7 carriers per band that way?

I guess the battery life really does improve after 3-4 charges. I have been on battery now for just over 41 hours. I'm at 33% on the battery! I've had 4G on with GPS/BT/WiFi all the time. Now I'm in a quandry-- I haven't charged the phone since Sunday evening. Should I charge tonight or go for 3 whole days on one charge? I bet I could force it to 3G only and shutoff BT/WiFi/GPS if I have to-- could probably also dim the screen (it stays on auto brightness) and logout of facebook msgr and talk to save juice and make it 3 full days. I don't know if I'll risk it. This is one thing I do NOT miss about my old EVO!

Funny, because the wife told me tonight that she WILL NOT put up with the RAZR MAXX for a minute longer, and wants a nexus now!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Maybe she got a lemon? I do notice a few minor bugs-- but usability is not an issue. BTW, I hit 45 hours last night before bed-- the battery was still at 25%. I chickened-out and charged it last night. It was on par for a 60 hour runtime even on 4G!

The good thing is that when she wants to change to a GNex, all you have to do is put her SIM card in it and go-- no need to call Verizon or dial anything on the new phone! That is one nice thing about LTE on VZW-- the SIM has your authorization and NAM programming set for both LTE and CDMA/EVDO/HRPD. You might even want to swap phones with her and swap your SIMs to see if she has a corrupted SIM-- doubtful, but if she has connectivity problems, they would continue on your GNex using her SIM.

Edited by 4ringsnbr

Maybe she got a lemon? I do notice a few minor bugs-- but usability is not an issue. BTW' date=' I hit 45 hours last night before bed-- the battery was still at 25%. I chickened-out and charged it last night. It was on par for a 60 hour runtime even on 4G!

The good thing is that when she wants to change to a GNex, all you have to do is put her SIM card in it and go-- no need to call Verizon or dial anything on the new phone! That is one nice thing about LTE on VZW-- the SIM has your authorization and NAM programming set for both LTE and CDMA/EVDO/HRPD. You might even want to swap phones with her and swap your SIMs to see if she has a corrupted SIM-- doubtful, but if she has connectivity problems, they would continue on your GNex using her SIM.[/quote']

That answers a question for me. I wondered if the SIM would control the CDMA the same way. I hope Sprints LTE devices are the same way.

Posted via Forum Runner

That answers a question for me. I wondered if the SIM would control the CDMA the same way. I hope Sprints LTE devices are the same way.

Posted via Forum Runner

The dual authorization system has been a headache for Verizon-- it is the cause of most of the LTE outages. They should get it ironed out by the time Sprint does it-- just hope they can learn from Verizon's mistakes-- the first time doing something is always the hardest.

The solution isn't foolproof, though-- my MAXX, the RAZR, and the GNex use micro-SIMs. All newer VZW phones will likely use these; however, the older LTE phones used mini-SIMs. If you want to move from one of those to a newer phone, you have to get a clipper for your SIM to trim it down, or get some scissors and have a VERY STEADY hand! The chip is the same, just the amount of plastic around it is different.

• Like 2

Well, I brought the wife's razr maxx back to the store and the booger eating morons were flabbergasted that a razr was malfunctioning. The maxx is back ordered 2 weeks and the salesman expected her to go without a phone that whole time. After I nearly went into "hulk angry" mode and about an hour of him calling the manager, they gave her a loaner iPhone. We'll see how the replacement behaves. Maybe I'm just negative on Motorola after my moto renegade was a complete worthless pile...

I thought the Razr was supposed to be on the top of the list for ICS. Also, I would have thought (hoped) that with the Goog-MMI merger, it would only improve updates.. based on the link below, so much for that.

http://phandroid.com...s-and-droid-4s/

Hmm? Looks like Moto is taking care of Asia and the older phones and tablets first. Makes sense in a weird way. I wonder why the U.S. or North America is getting to be the last one to get updates on new phones or new debut devices? Have we sunk in prestige that much? Or is it the worlds way of giving us the finger?

I thought the Razr was supposed to be on the top of the list for ICS. Also, I would have thought (hoped) that with the Goog-MMI merger, it would only improve updates.. based on the link below, so much for that.

http://phandroid.com...s-and-droid-4s/

I had heard that it would be late 3rd quarter or 4th quarter for the RAZR and MAXX. That is really weak for a flagship. When I was shopping for phones when I switched, the salesman pushed the RAZR line as though it was the end all be all of smartphones. Then I started spitting stats and facts comparing the Nexus and RAZR like the screen, bootloader lock, update frequency, replaceable battery, processor and current software he changed his tune. Don't get me wrong, the RAZR line has good phones, but there is a heaping portion of hype along with it. If Motorola didn't make, or have a reputation for making superior radios, they would be ostracized for their locked bootloaders and lack of timely updates.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw the RAZR MAXX will be getting ICS OTAs starting on April 4th. Much sooner than was expected. I had seen some estimates putting it 3Q.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/google/android/verizon-droid-razr-razr-maxx-ics-update-april-4-htc-rezound-april-6/

• Like 1

Update on the Wife's phone. It must have been a lemon, because she has had the replacement for a couple weeks now, and I have not heard a single complaint. She gets 3+ days on the battery when she doesn't use it much.

The wierd thing though, is that sometimes her LTE signal will be showing -85 dbm, my GNex will show -115 dbm and I will pull the same or higher speeds on a speed test. At -115 dbm I wouldn't think I would even still be connected to the tower. I went to the verizon store and checked all the LTE phones, saw the same thing. The best LTE signal strength was on the Bionic, Rezound and Charge. Both my GNex and the display were showing 20 dbm worse than average (there was another one in the same ballpark, Spectrum maybe...) but when I ran speed tests, they were all very similar. The Bionic was pulling the best speeds. I don't know what the deal is. If the GNex was really getting worse signal, it would show on the speed test. Maybe I will get some answers when the MAXX gets ICS.

Update on the Wife's phone. It must have been a lemon, because she has had the replacement for a couple weeks now, and I have not heard a single complaint. She gets 3+ days on the battery when she doesn't use it much.

The wierd thing though, is that sometimes her LTE signal will be showing -85 dbm, my GNex will show -115 dbm and I will pull the same or higher speeds on a speed test. At -115 dbm I wouldn't think I would even still be connected to the tower. I went to the verizon store and checked all the LTE phones, saw the same thing. The best LTE signal strength was on the Bionic, Rezound and Charge. Both my GNex and the display were showing 20 dbm worse than average (there was another one in the same ballpark, Spectrum maybe...) but when I ran speed tests, they were all very similar. The Bionic was pulling the best speeds. I don't know what the deal is. If the GNex was really getting worse signal, it would show on the speed test. Maybe I will get some answers when the MAXX gets ICS.

This is because all non-ICS phones report EHRPD signal strength in the about menu, not LTE strength. Your GNex is reporting the actual LTE strength, -115 dBm. The other signal strength observed on the other phones is actually the EHRPD signal. In order to see the LTE strength in non-ICS phones, you have to do a logcat or use a special app. Anandtech writes all about it in their article on the Galaxy Nexus signal issues. The GNex DOES have some signal issues on the CDMA/EVDO/EHRPD side compared to other phones, but it shares these issues with the Droid Charge, which uses the same non-Qualcomm CDMA baseband. I doubt seriously Sprint will tolerate the use of that baseband in their version of the GNex-- their signal strength is too low.

See what signal strength your wife's phone reports after its ICS upgrade on Wednesday. It should be very similar to yours.