Airave Dropped Calls with GNex

spotmeterf64

I have no Sprint service in my apartment. I have an Airave and a Galaxy Nexus. My Airave is dropping the call 5-15 minutes in almost without fail. Voice not broken at all (very clear and loud in fact) until the call is about to drop, then the other party gets very broken and difficult to understand until finally the call drops.

I have called Sprint and they haven't been much help. I have 20Mbps service through TWC so I hesitate to lay blame on my ISP. They can't provide 20Mbps reliably, but I do get 10-15Mbps down and 1-1.5 Mbps up reliably even during peak times.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I can try to solve this problem? Calls drop every time I use my Airave, MMSs often show "Downloading" until I get down the road onto Sprint towers, and sometimes (though not always) callers are given a busy signal or go straight to voicemail when calling me. Also, texts can be delayed.

Should I demand Sprint replace my Airave? Galaxy Nexus? Should I give TWC the blame? I am really at a loss, but if it continues I will pay the ETF to switch to another provider, very reluctantly. I want unlimited data with LTE, and Sprint is lighting up LTE and much improved 3G here in the Raleigh area.

Does anyone else have these issues with an Airave? What can I try? Thanks for any insight!

• Like 1

I have no Sprint service in my apartment. I have an Airave and a Galaxy Nexus. My Airave is dropping the call 5-15 minutes in almost without fail. Voice not broken at all (very clear and loud in fact) until the call is about to drop' date=' then the other party gets very broken and difficult to understand until finally the call drops.

I have called Sprint and they haven't been much help. I have 20Mbps service through TWC so I hesitate to lay blame on my ISP. They can't provide 20Mbps reliably, but I do get 10-15Mbps down and 1-1.5 Mbps up reliably even during peak times.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I can try to solve this problem? Calls drop every time I use my Airave, MMSs often show "Downloading" until I get down the road onto Sprint towers, and sometimes (though not always) callers are given a busy signal or go straight to voicemail when calling me. Also, texts can be delayed.

Should I demand Sprint replace my Airave? Galaxy Nexus? Should I give TWC the blame? I am really at a loss, but if it continues I will pay the ETF to switch to another provider, very reluctantly. I want unlimited data with LTE, and Sprint is lighting up LTE and much improved 3G here in the Raleigh area.

Does anyone else have these issues with an Airave? What can I try? Thanks for any insight![/quote']

My first impression of that problem is that it sounds like your internet is dropping out every so often.

• Like 2

I had a similar issue with my old Airrave. I fixed it by upgrading my router. I had an older one which didn't have fast enough ports. And would cut out. Same thing would happen when I had my TV hooked up and was trying to stream video

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I am surprised you are blaming sprint so quickly.

airave needs a solid signal, not a fast one.

If you had 100mbit internet but other problems, it would be for nothing.

Did you run jitter and packet loss monitoring? Is your airave plugged directly into your cable modem?

Why are you blaming sprint if you don't know where the problem is?

• Like 4

irev210: I am not necessarily blaming Sprint, I am prepared to blame TWC. I am also fully prepared to blame my Dlink router.

My jitter generally runs around 2.5-3.6 ms, and packet loss is always 0.0 every time I run the 8x8 VoIP test. The very thorough Sprint rep I spoke to on the phone about a week ago recommended I run this test. MOS is generally 4.0 - 4.1 and QoS is 65-72%.

I do blame Sprint (to an extent) because an Airave is necessary while it would not be had I chosen another carrier. But, I knew this coming into my contract. I can't complain too much. Sprint works perfectly everywhere else in town, except the neighborhood I live in. At work in downtown Raleigh, 3G speeds top 1Mbps during the middle of the day. Can't beat that! Praying for more towers after (or while) NV upgrades are completed for the Raleigh/Durham airport area.

I just replaced my TWC modem with a new one. I am going to replace my DLink router with a new one relatively soon, and I'll report back.

Thanks for the help so far!

Edited by spotmeterf64

I am surprised you are blaming sprint so quickly.

airave needs a solid signal, not a fast one.

If you had 100mbit internet but other problems, it would be for nothing.

Did you run jitter and packet loss monitoring? Is your airave plugged directly into your cable modem?

Why are you blaming sprint if you don't know where the problem is?

I don't think he's blaming Sprint so quickly. He said "Should I demand Sprint replace my Airave? Galaxy Nexus? Should I give TWC the blame?" Sounds like he's trying to find out what the problem is. People here are over protective of Sprint and I don't know why, Sprint is far from perfect.

spotmeterf64, don't wait until you replace your router. Plug the Airave directly into the new modem and make a test call. If all is good then the router is to blame, if it still drops calls then try to reset the Airave.

irev210: I am not necessarily blaming Sprint, I am prepared to blame TWC. I am also fully prepared to blame my Dlink router.

My jitter generally runs around 2.5-3.6 ms, and packet loss is always 0.0 every time I run the 8x8 VoIP test. The very thorough Sprint rep I spoke to on the phone about a week ago recommended I run this test. MOS is generally 4.0 - 4.1 and QoS is 65-72%.

I do blame Sprint (to an extent) because an Airave is necessary while it would not be had I chosen another carrier. But, I knew this coming into my contract. I can't complain too much. Sprint works perfectly everywhere else in town, except the neighborhood I live in. At work in downtown Raleigh, 3G speeds top 1Mbps during the middle of the day. Can't beat that! Praying for more towers after (or while) NV upgrades are completed for the Raleigh/Durham airport area.

I just replaced my TWC modem with a new one. I am going to replace my DLink router with a new one relatively soon, and I'll report back.

Thanks for the help so far!

ok, this makes a lot more sense.

There are line monitor apps out there that will monitor you connection over hours to see if you have any abnormalities.

if you just upgraded to a docsis 3.0 modem that will help if twc supports it in your area.

report back and let us know how it goes!

I don't think he's blaming Sprint so quickly. He said "Should I demand Sprint replace my Airave? Galaxy Nexus? Should I give TWC the blame?" Sounds like he's trying to find out what the problem is. People here are over protective of Sprint and I don't know why, Sprint is far from perfect.

spotmeterf64, don't wait until you replace your router. Plug the Airave directly into the new modem and make a test call. If all is good then the router is to blame, if it still drops calls then try to reset the Airave.

We are not protective of Sprint. However, you cannot bash Sprint here. There is a distinct difference. And negative comments need to be substantiated and productive.

What makes us different than other Sprint forums is that we require people to back up their negative comments. We call people to be accountable for their comments. And some people don't like that standard. They just want to rant without regard to fact.

We also confront complainers. We don't host Sprint complaints. It clogs up our forums and prevents people from finding useful content. We are not equipped to help people with their Sprint complaints, they need to direct them to appropriate Sprint customer service channels, where people are appropriately trained and have the ability to help them. We are also not trained psychologists to help provide people a relief valve because of the personal stresses Sprint may have on them.

Negative comments about Sprint are contrary to the S4GRU Mission Statement. And they breed more negative comments. If we allowed them, we would be overrun in 60 days and no one would come to S4GRU anymore. No one Google searches "Forums that I can bitch about Sprint." But people do search daily for the type of inormation that S4GRU does provide.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 9

New modem didn't help, but I didn't really expect it to. The modem was a TWC lease and to avoid the $4/month modem lease fee we've bought out own unit. It's a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. I haven't tried connecting the Airave directly to the modem yet, that's a good idea that I will try.

Our D-Link router has very flaky WiFi due to there being at least a dozen routers within range. I never attributed that to issues with the Airave since the Airave is plugged in using Ethernet.

Update: Called Sprint Airave tech support today (phone number at sprint.com/airave; before I was calling *2 as I assumed Airave line was for new customers wanting to get a free Airave) after no improvement. They suggested I connect my Airave directly to my Modem (instead of behind my router). I initally forgot that the Airave had LAN Ports.

Inital fear of diminished network performance for the rest of my network (Rokus, laptops, wii, etc.) is unfounded. It appears the Airave generates no appreciable speed decrease, even when in front of the router on the network.

I will continue to test performance and report back. I pray this is the solution.

Edited by spotmeterf64

Airave isn't that reliable where I live either, I was trying to use it today at home, the call became garbled and crackly, then it disconnected. I had no ISP problems at the time.

Skype over wifi on the GNexus is great for phone calls, audio quality is many times better when calling other domestic/international land line phones.

May Sprint's Airave IP network is overloaded?

• 1 month later...

I have no Sprint service in my apartment. I have an Airave and a Galaxy Nexus. My Airave is dropping the call 5-15 minutes in almost without fail. Voice not broken at all (very clear and loud in fact) until the call is about to drop, then the other party gets very broken and difficult to understand until finally the call drops.

Does anyone else have these issues with an Airave? What can I try? Thanks for any insight!

Which airave do you have is it the 2.5? if so there is a known bug in the airave firmware that makes it partially incompatible with 4G Andriod devices. Search the forums for me as i don't want to repost the same thing once again. The partial fix for the 2.5 is when you are approaching the 2.5 turn LTE off on your device. That may eliminate the dropping..if not it should reduce it. there is not currently an announced ETA for airvana to fix this firmware bug.

I have actually had this same exact issue at an office building. I am an IT consultant and found that the issue is the time and date are not correct in the router. This is very common since most people don't login to the router and configure it anymore. I am pretty sure that if you log in to the router you will find the time and date are off from your local time. After a few hours log back into the router and make sure the time and date are still correct. If not there is an internal battery that is bad. Some routers it can be replaced easly, but not all are easy. If you have any questions or help feel free to ask.

I have actually had this same exact issue at an office building. I am an IT consultant and found that the issue is the time and date are not correct in the router. This is very common since most people don't login to the router and configure it anymore. I am pretty sure that if you log in to the router you will find the time and date are off from your local time. After a few hours log back into the router and make sure the time and date are still correct. If not there is an internal battery that is bad. Some routers it can be replaced easly, but not all are easy. If you have any questions or help feel free to ask.

I am also an IT consultant as well as a HAM radio operator..the issue is in the airave..:)

I am also an IT consultant as well as a HAM radio operator..the issue is in the airave.. :)

Ok thanks, If you find out the exact cause of the issue can you let me know. If possible I would like to prevent any issues with this one. They are a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Thanks

Ok thanks, If you find out the exact cause of the issue can you let me know. If possible I would like to prevent any issues with this one. They are a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Thanks

the cause is a firmware bug inside the 2.5 airaves in regards to LTE..it's most persistent with Android devices. When an android LTE devices encounters an airave things are ok until the device polls the airave for 4g...the airave's response instead of simply ignoring the poll can(and most times does) drop the device. The device then has to repoll for 3g and most likely finds the airave. Things are great until the device polls for 4G again. The somewhat working workaround is before you get into airave range you have to turn off 4g and force the device back into cdma only mode. This is not a 100% workaround but it does reduce the incidences of the device getting booted. iphones do not get dropped as often but there are sporadic reports of even iphones occasionally(but not often) getting dropped as well.

I do not see how changing the time on your router makes any difference; our devices do not ask the router for the date and time, they poll a time server such as NIST's (this is assumming the device even cares about the date and time, which I am not positive the Airave is, and if it is then it surely would be polling Sprint to determine the date and time). Are you suggesting that the router acts as a time server?

The only benefit I can see is this restarts your router, which may help clear out the low free memory and other hiccups that often plague consumer-level networking devices, which may prevent packet loss (and subsequent call drops).

I believe my issue with my Airave was handshaking. My neighbor in the apartment complex somewhere also has an Airave, and in the middle of the call my phone would attempt to transfer to the other airave, which would cause the call to drop. The LTE suggestion is an interesting one, however; one that I have not heard of before.

I'm considering dumping the GNex for something else anyway; the reception is poor as has been reported ad nauseum, but also the camera and battery life is poor. Other than the "vanilla Android" out of the box and faster updates, there's nothing else good about the Sprint GNex in my opinion.

Edited by spotmeterf64

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue with dropped calls.

Originally I had comcast 5/15 with three devices connected to my router

modem-->router-->arivana/sip phone/wireless router

My SIP phone never drops a call but Airvana does.

Then I switched to fios 5/25

FIOS modem router combo-->arivana/sip phone/wireless router

The wifi on my fios router is off. Again my SIP phone (callcentric) never drops a call

so I doubt it's the ISP.

I upgraded my FIOS to 25/50 in hopes that would solve it, but no luck.

If I power cycle the airvana it's better for a day then back to only making short (<15mim) calls.

I noticed when on Airvana, the signal bars on my phone sometimes go from 5 to zero, thats with me in a fixed location.

I called Sprint and they increased the airvana power to MAX. So when it works is works way out in my yard which is great. But still dropped calls.

I have 4 phones in house and they all drop calls (htc one, iphone 5, iphone 4s, iphone 4).

• 3 weeks later...