Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

So I just thought I'd mention that while at a bar in Ocean City MD, Signal Check told me that I was connected to B41 Sprint LTE 2500, and the data was completely. unable. I'm not talking about slow speeds, I'm talking about completely unusable data. Tapatalk wouldn't work, an email I sent wouldn't go through, and a text I sent wouldn't go through.

I actually had to manually switch my Nexus 6 to 3G only. I can see why some people get pissed off at Sprint. If I didn't know how to manually switch my phone to 3G,I'd be pissed off that my data wouldn't work.

UPDATE...I took a shot at put ting my phone back to LTE mode. It reconnected to B41 Sprint LTE 2500, and for now, it seems to be working. The only difference is that there seem to be a few less people in the bar now, so that may be the difference.

So I just thought I'd mention that while at a bar in Ocean City MD, Signal Check told me that I was connected to B41 Sprint LTE 2500, and the data was completely unable. I'm not talking about slow speeds, I'm talking about completely unusable data. Tapatalk wouldn't work, an email I sent wouldn't go through, and a text I sent wouldn't go through.

I actually had to manually switch my Nexus 6 to 3G only. I can see why some people get pissed off at Sprint. If I didn't know how to manually switch my phone to 3G,I'd be pissed off that my data wouldn't work.

UPDATE...I took a shot at putting my phone back to LTE mode. It reconnected to B41 Sprint LTE 2500, and for now, it seems to be working. The only difference is that there seem to be a few less people in the bar now, so that may be the difference.

what street were you on was there last weekend no band 41 up.

The place I am staying at is between 31st Street and 32nd Street.

Just as an update, I have currently switched my Nexus 6 to 3G only, because, for some reason, all day long, I have had various strong LTE signals (B41, B25, B26) 1900, 2500, 800, and the data always seems to crap out on me.

The speeds on 3G, however, seem pretty good.

I may try the LTE signal again later or tomorrow.

I can now see the reasons that least the 3G signal is so strong, according to Signal Check, I am only about 2 blocks away from the tower.

df89dc414bcb60e50fb836b9d9288f4b.jpg

98efd0d2231f740906d0e1fc09528456.jpg

So personally, my guess is that there is either a problem with my Nexus 6 being able to use the Sprint LTE from that tower, or there is some problem with the tower broadcasting LTE signal.

• Like 1

http://wamu.org/news/15/07/27/metro_working_on_deal_with_wireless_carriers_to_end_tunnel_dead_spots

I'll believe it when I see it, but hopefully something comes of it.

I'm with you!

Right now the signal in the tunnels sux!

And Metro bring a major transit in DC/VA/MD, that sux that phone service doesn't work.

If you go near 3rd street major siganl there cant tell it was,a cow or small cell. Only good speeds were at 142 near fenwick getting 8 down.

Just thought that I would mention that the whole time I was in Ocean City MD, I basically had problems with the LTE.

As I mentioned, there were multiple times when both Signal Check and the stock Android signal indicator both showed that I had strong LTE signal, but web pages wouldn't load and apps, such as Tapatalk, would time-out.

While I was there in Ocean City MD, as I mentioned, I toggled my phone to 3G only, and I noticed that I got blazing fast speeds. So for the reminder of the vacation, I simply left my phone in 3G mode.

I actually only stitched my phone back to LTE mode as I crossed Chesapeake Bay Bridge, heading back to Virginia. And when I did, I noticed that the LTE worked fine.

Since I have been back in Northern Virginia, I haven't had any problems with the LTE signal. So in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with my phone, it seems that the problem is the LTE on the Sprint towers in Ocean City MD. The 3G works fine, but the LTE seems to have problems transmitting data.

Since I have been back in Northern Virginia, I haven't had any problems with the LTE signal. So in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with my phone, it seems that the problem is the LTE on the Sprint towers in Ocean City MD. The 3G works fine, but the LTE seems to have problems transmitting data.

Maybe overloaded (considering its Ocean City), but Ericsson has also royally screwed up some sites around DE and the Eastern Shore of MD. They work great after ALU sets them up, however some point later a paste eater from Ericsson comes around screws something up and you have the same experience you described....

• Like 1

Did you report the OC issues via Sprint Zone?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I have a Nexus 6, so I don't have access to the Sprint Zone app.

I like your idea though, I will, however, take what I wrote here in this thread, and send it to Sprint via email.

same thing happen to me, lte was worst then 3g, all 3 live sites in ocean city ,only near border near fenwick i got usable lte. im going back end month see whats up.

• Like 1

I have a Nexus 6, so I don't have access to the Sprint Zone app.

I like your idea though, I will, however, take what I wrote here in this thread, and send it to Sprint via email.

Sprint ought to make a downloadable Sprint Zone app for Nexus devices (and presumably the upcoming Motorola X, which presumably won't come with it since it's not a Sprint-issued device)... at least for network issue reporting and account management purposes.

Apparently, the App requires system-level integration on Android, which is why it's preinstalled on other devices. However, there's no such requirement on iOS.

What functionality in the Android version of the Sprint Zone App requires system level integration? Diagnostics?

• Like 2

Two things:

1)  For anyone who hasn't seen, there is now a Premiere Subscriber thread with spreadsheet and maps for the Washington, DC and Southern Virginia markets!  If you have SCP data that you would like to contribute or other tips and info, let me know.  Look forward to seeing you there!

2)  Today I took my handheld spectrum analyzer with me to work.  On the way, I had it looking at 700 MHz.  I observed LTE from both Verizon and AT&T at L'enfant, and I know from experimentation with a MetroPCS phone that T-Mobile has LTE on AWS in L'enfant Plaza Metro as well.  Only Sprint, it seems, does not have LTE there.  I wonder if it's due to Sprint's use of B25 and B26 instead of B2 or B5.  Anyone know?

- Trip

• Like 2

I finally figured out where my mystery B25 signal is coming from at work.  Apparently, the building's DAS is the source.

I happened to be standing in the hallway and looked at my phone and noticed I was at -66 or so.  I found a spot on the ceiling labeled "ANTENNA 6-3" (I work on the 6th floor) and held my phone up to it, and, well...

BDH80o8l.png

That answers that.

- Trip

• Like 3

Turns out it's almost right outside my office door anyway.  I generally see -75 to -80, except that I can also see an 8T8R from an unknown location at about -110 and my phone prefers it.

- Trip

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This info was tucked into the Preparing for Pope Francis Blog Post (By Scott Santi, Regional Vice President, Network).

We’re pleased to report that our network performance across all markets, including Philadelphia, New York and Washington D.C., has been steadily improving.

In Philadelphia, New York and D.C., we’ve added hundreds of new 2.5GHz cell sites, and expanded our 1.9GHz and 800MHz LTE coverage. Each cell site has then been systematically optimized to maximize throughput and provide the best customer experience. In addition, our local engineers have improved service and upgraded the wireless systems in many of the high-traffic public venues slated to be on the Pope’s agenda. 

Travelers in D.C. will also notice better service at Reagan International Airport resulting from a recent upgrade.

Yay!

• Like 3