Network Vision/LTE - Washington DC Market

dstrait

So i made my road trip from md/delaware line all way down i 95 to dc. I drop to 3 g like 4 times and some weak areas on i 95.I was on band 41 75% of the time ,did lot speed tests during my trip mostly had band 41 with 2 carriers. Speed test vary . Upper md i was getting 30 to 60 mbps ,but when i got close baltimore city mostly tank under 13mbps. The clear towers are not great anymore but 8t8r had better speeds. I did confirm new site of band 25 off power lines tower in whitemarsh md .There is clear site band 41 still live 100 feet apart . So as i was going away from city i 95 south toward dc my speeds increase 50 plus mbps. When i got into dc going down 185 my speeds on clearwire towers mostly were 80 mbps. In national zoo clear site was pulling 40 mbps mostly at-105 rsrp. So i say dc is better band 41 market then Baltimore .The next rootmetrics for baltimore i predit not going be good in my judgement. I think in baltimore to many people on band 41 . I just had better experince in dc. I was testing on my note 5 in the car with no case.

• Like 1

Zoo suck no animals were out hidding mostly.

Did you go into the Panda center? That is where we found them chewing on Bamboo, but yeah I am sure the weather didn't help. Hope you make it down again soon!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed LTE service in most Metro stations now.

What lines? I didn't have a lick of LTE from Metro Center to L'Enfant except when I started to leave L'Enfant station for tennis on Monday. Good news if they flipped a magical switch!

It's been running in L'enfant for a while now, and on Yellow in Virginia.  No LTE in Smithsonian.  I don't frequent other stations enough to know what's happening elsewhere.

- Trip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hate how every time I go out now, it's Verizon that has new sites up. (They're co-locating on the AT&T tower at US-50 and I-495 near Merrifield; the antennas looked like Verizon antennas and there was a construction crew on the ground outside the compound.) Meanwhile, nothing from Sprint lately, not even permits.

- Trip

• Like 1

It's been running in L'enfant for a while now, and on Yellow in Virginia. No LTE in Smithsonian. I don't frequent other stations enough to know what's happening elsewhere.

- Trip

Although it probably doesn't matter...but I do notice that I am getting Strong LTE all along the Silver Line...both Tysons and Reston.

Although it probably doesn't matter...but I do notice that I am getting Strong LTE all along the Silver Line...both Tysons and Reston.

Aren't the new Silver Line stations above ground?  Which would imply nothing special needs to be done for LTE service there since they would just depend on the local macro sites?

- Trip

For those in DC having problems. Check out @sprintcare's Tweet: https://twitter.com/sprintcare/status/765579298971451392?s=09

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

More on the Sprint outage around D.C.   Keep in mind the reporters rarely get these reports totally correct.   I would suspect a fiber optic cable was near the transformer that exploded.    (scroll down)

http://wtop.com/dc/2016/08/blaze-underground-flames-leap-street-level-dc/slide/1/

• Like 1

I hate how every time I go out now, it's Verizon that has new sites up. (They're co-locating on the AT&T tower at US-50 and I-495 near Merrifield; the antennas looked like Verizon antennas and there was a construction crew on the ground outside the compound.) Meanwhile, nothing from Sprint lately, not even permits.

- Trip

This was true in South Dakota too. But no so much in Washington. Verizon doesn't seem to be densifying as much here. At least not in the areas I'm frequenting.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Aren't the new Silver Line stations above ground?  Which would imply nothing special needs to be done for LTE service there since they would just depend on the local macro sites?

- Trip

VZW is throwing sites up left and right around here. What site did you spot they were colocating on, I'm familiar with 495 and 50 but not sure of the site.

edit: nvm that must be the VA side, and wrong quote anyway lol

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds just like Metro too; run it for 45 days, then turn it off while evaluating feedback.  All of which will either be positive, complaining it works poorly (it IS Metro), or requests for it to be in more stations.

- Trip

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else having service problems today?  I was in WV today and had no service (in places I always received service).  I had service again around Frederick, but no voice calls.  On and off now in DC.

Edited by fubka

Anyone else having service problems today?  I was in WV today and had no service (in places I always received service).  I had service again around Frederick, but no voice calls.  On and off now in DC.

I spent the morning in Leesburg at the Outlets and had perfect service - B25 or B41 throughout (even indoors). Back in WV now without problems but I haven't made any calls today.

I have noted a lot of B41 coming online in the eastern panhandle's cities - Charles Town, Ranson, and Martinsburg.