Network Vision/LTE - Tucson/Yuma Market

jasper7821

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I just found this site and saw 4gLTE in Tucson scheduled for the 2nd round.

Just curious is there's any more detailed info on that.

I've dealt with Sprint for 2yrs on my EVO and at work I only get one bar and the same at home.

If I am doing something with my hands and hold the phone on my shoulder it will drop the call.

My contract is over in December and I'm all ready to take my 2 lines over to Verizon (everyone here at work on it get awesome 4g speeds and they have 4g at my house.

Customer service told me that sometime in 2013 Tucson and the whole country will be on 4g.

If that's not 100% true there's no reason to stay with Sprint.

I'm getting a nice discount on my bill from work and if I go to Verizon the price will only go up $10 a month (so $5 split between my friend and I)

BUT, I do like the unlimited data Sprint has, I looked at all my data usage and I'd never go over the Verizon plan. But if I use 4g on Verizon I'm afraid I might be playing on the internet more but it's only $10 for 4 more GB.

So basically, is there any kind of firm target date for Sprint 4gLTE in Tucson and if not I'm headed to Verizon.

• Like 1

Sorry, meant 3rd round in Tucson.

Looking at the 2nd round data and completion in Oct 2013 and 3rd round just being TBD does that mean it may be Oct 2014 before Tucson could have 4gLTE.

I could never wait that long for 4gLTE

Work is supposed to start in the Tucson market this winter. Roughly at the same time as Phoenix.

Robert

Thank you for the reply.

So if its supposed to start work this winter' date=' would that mean maybe next winter I'd have 4g.

Just wondering if start work means planning or actually installing equipment.[/quote']

About 4-6 weeks after they start, the first LTE sites will be completing. So there will likely be some limited LTE service available near completed sites. It will then grow more and more over the whole market. It will take awhile to have total coverage though.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

Well eHRPD doesn't change the backhaul going to each tower, it just changes the route the data takes from the tower back to the Internet. Instead of going through the 3G switch it goes through the 4G core.

tLMN1.png

BCXyy.png

Speed is so horrible due to it being a mini antenna in the back of a store with who knows how many things hooked up to it sharing the bandwidth.

• 2 weeks later...

<Please move to the appropriate area if needed> As stated in a previous post, eHRPD has gone live in Tucson Arizona, and I've also seen some workers tinkering with some towers. There's been some confusion, so I'm wondering if Tucson/Yuma was in fact moved up to round 2? and if anyone else in Tucson has seen an LTE signal yet?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little north of Tucson (Casa Grande to be exact) and we have also seen eHRPD be deployed. Talking to our Sprint Rep he told me not to be surprised if I see usable albeit unofficial LTE perhaps by the end of the year or first quarter 2013.

I'm a little north of Tucson (Casa Grande to be exact) and we have also seen eHRPD be deployed. Talking to our Sprint Rep he told me not to be surprised if I see usable albeit unofficial LTE perhaps by the end of the year or first quarter 2013.

Given you're in an AlcatelLucent market, even if they started work tomorrow, it would be 60-90 days before you see any LTE signals. But work should probably start soon. And you will likely see the first signals in Q1-2013.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Do i need a LTE 4G device to see or use eHRPD? I have a Samsung Epic 4G on WiMax that i cant get and i cant even find any thing that says mobile network type. It just says Sprint.

EDIT - just did a test in my area, got 211 kbps down and 434 kbps up with a ping at 156 ms. Says the network is EvdoA

Edited by newgroundsguru

Given you're in an AlcatelLucent market, even if they started work tomorrow, it would be 60-90 days before you see any LTE signals. But work should probably start soon. And you will likely see the first signals in Q1-2013.

Robert, I'm curious. Does that 60-90 day rule also apply with other markets?

TS

Robert, I'm curious. Does that 60-90 day rule also apply with other markets?

TS

It's just a general observation on my part that AlcaLu deploys almost only 3G for a good long while when they start in a market before 4G LTE starts to come live. Charlotte has been the only exception thus far.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

So I wanted to write this that way people who live in Tucson could try and piece together NV upgrades in Tucson. Currently I have a Photon 4g (WiMax) phone and my wife has a iPhone 5. Where I live at their is 4g Wimax but a very weak signal. If you goto Clear's website their is a coverage map for Tucson, but its spotty at best. As I'm sure many of you know if you've been in Tucson that the 3g data speeds are extremely slow. I have followed network.sprint and drove around to towers that received "updates". The only tower I have experienced data speeds of 980 kbps was in the north part of town (kinda by Winterhaven); but that was the only place in Tucson I've seen that kinda speed.

My usual data speed driving down Broadway is .15 mbps which means i can't stream Pandora without it cutting and stopping. If anyone has information on cell cites that are being updated or already have been please let me know. I live/work near the U of A and Reid Park area.

Hello,

So I wanted to write this that way people who live in Tucson could try and piece together NV upgrades in Tucson. Currently I have a Photon 4g (WiMax) phone and my wife has a iPhone 5. Where I live at their is 4g Wimax but a very weak signal. If you goto Clear's website their is a coverage map for Tucson, but its spotty at best. As I'm sure many of you know if you've been in Tucson that the 3g data speeds are extremely slow. I have followed network.sprint and drove around to towers that received "updates". The only tower I have experienced data speeds of 980 kbps was in the north part of town (kinda by Winterhaven); but that was the only place in Tucson I've seen that kinda speed.

My usual data speed driving down Broadway is .15 mbps which means i can't stream Pandora without it cutting and stopping. If anyone has information on cell cites that are being updated or already have been please let me know. I live/work near the U of A and Reid Park area.

I have moved your post here, as this is the most appropriate place for it. The WiMax in Tucson is not a normal deployment, but they are Protection SItes. For more info about what a WiMax Protection Site is, you can read here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6-what-are-protection-sites/

Also note that at the network.sprint.com site, it does not differentiate between the different data speed upgrades. For instance, some of the data speed upgrades shown are Network Vision backhaul for NV 3G and LTE. If the data speed upgrade shown on the map is for Network Vision upgrades, then you would not see the benefits of these on the legacy network.

Network Vision is just about to begin in the Tucson/Yuma market. Probably in the next 30-60 days. So these mysterious Data Speed Upgrades are good news and these will likely be the first sites to start going live when NV begins.

In the short term, Sprint 3G may even get worse, at it is often darkest before the dawn. But the Tucson area is about to start Network Vision.

Robert

• Like 1

I have moved your post here, as this is the most appropriate place for it. The WiMax in Tucson is not a normal deployment, but they are Protection SItes. For more info about what a WiMax Protection Site is, you can read here: http://s4gru.com/ind...otection-sites/

Also note that at the network.sprint.com site, it does not differentiate between the different data speed upgrades. For instance, some of the data speed upgrades shown are Network Vision backhaul for NV 3G and LTE. If the data speed upgrade shown on the map is for Network Vision upgrades, then you would not see the benefits of these on the legacy network.

Network Vision is just about to begin in the Tucson/Yuma market. Probably in the next 30-60 days. So these mysterious Data Speed Upgrades are good news and these will likely be the first sites to start going live when NV begins.

In the short term, Sprint 3G may even get worse, at it is often darkest before the dawn. But the Tucson area is about to start Network Vision.

Robert

Sweet! The 3g is not too bad where i live in the north west part of town. Pandora is usually ok but as of late i have seen a drop in consistency of the speed. There is one tower that said it had a data upgrade and the other 2 just say voice upgrades.. My GF that works downtown by williams and broadway gets crap signal to the point where she has to step outside the building to use the phone, now that is unacceptable..

Sweet! The 3g is not too bad where i live in the north west part of town. Pandora is usually ok but as of late i have seen a drop in consistency of the speed. There is one tower that said it had a data upgrade and the other 2 just say voice upgrades.. My GF that works downtown by williams and broadway gets crap signal to the point where she has to step outside the building to use the phone, now that is unacceptable..

Some buildings just don't get good service from one cell provider. That is a fact of life. At my work, there is 1 cell provider that actually provides service in the building, the rest have to walk outside or hover next to a window to use their phone. Unless they add another cell site, it might not get any better. NV may tip the needle from unusable inside to barely usable inside, 800mhz voice might help also, but there will always be indoor dead spots on every carrier.

Some buildings just don't get good service from one cell provider. That is a fact of life. At my work, there is 1 cell provider that actually provides service in the building, the rest have to walk outside or hover next to a window to use their phone. Unless they add another cell site, it might not get any better. NV may tip the needle from unusable inside to barely usable inside, 800mhz voice might help also, but there will always be indoor dead spots on every carrier.

Ah, see i though it would be better because she is so close to the downtown area. She has to make a 40 minute drive to get down there and she cant even get the damn wimax. I don't really care all that much because we are past the town limits, guess i shouldn't assume that just because its in a more central location that it would be better O_o

Ah, see i though it would be better because she is so close to the downtown area. She has to make a 40 minute drive to get down there and she cant even get the damn wimax. I don't really care all that much because we are past the town limits, guess i shouldn't assume that just because its in a more central location that it would be better O_o

Some buildings are great at shielding RF...

Good god was the 3g painful today.. We went downtown to eat and shop around speedway and half the time Pandora just stopped working. Got a little bit of CrapMax but it disconnected after driving 1 block. Is there anything i can do on the phone to make the not so now network any faster?

Blazing fast speeds!

321648418.png321648810.png

Good god was the 3g painful today.. We went downtown to eat and shop around speedway and half the time Pandora just stopped working. Got a little bit of CrapMax but it disconnected after driving 1 block. Is there anything i can do on the phone to make the not so now network any faster?

Blazing fast speeds!

321648418.png321648810.png

You will likely not see relief until Network Vision gets under way in your area.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

You will likely not see relief until Network Vision gets under way in your area.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ah, well i come here every day looking for any bit of info on the new network. I just dont get why the 3g is getting so messed up! Are they disconnecting the 3g antennas or something?

Edited by newgroundsguru

Ah, well i come here every day looking for any bit of info on the new network. I just dont get why the 3g is getting so messed up! Are they disconnecting the 3g antennas or something?

It's overloaded because subs are streaming video and audio 24/7