Network Vision/LTE Market - West Iowa/Nebraska Market (Omaha/Council Bluffs/Lincoln)

TrentAllen

When I started S4GRU, I lived in a Sprint market.  But we have flourished despite my new South Dakota location far from the Sprint network.  Where I live, it is harder to get farther away from Sprint without getting closer.   :)

So you're saying your coverage is improving?!

So you're saying your coverage is improving?!

Yeah, Lloyd, you nailed it.

AJ

• Like 1

Hey bmoses, hows the coverage in Central IA?

in the des moines metro and ames its good :) outside of those areas sprint doesn't have a big presence so you are mostly roaming and no LTE. in the metro areas there are very few spots i lose LTE anymore and speeds are good, not amazing and the top, but good enough to do whatever i need to do. on average i get 3-6 meg down on either B25 or B26. sometimes i'll hit 10, 15, or 20 meg down but in the places i frequent its usually around the 4 to 5 meg mark. sprint only has 3 towers with B41 here (unlike lincoln that has a lot ;) ) and when i hit one of those then its 30 to 50 meg down. calls and texting are never issues around here.

if this stuff is becoming interesting to you, you should consider donating to the site. thats how it stays running is from donations from people, plus it gets you access to the maps so you can see where the towers are and what technology is installed in them. in IA and NE we have a pretty active community that keeps track of the upgrades on the towers. you do have to get to premier level to see B41 and B26 info, but your initial donation will get you access to maps on where the towers are and which ones at least have LTE.

• Like 2

in the des moines metro and ames its good :) outside of those areas sprint doesn't have a big presence so you are mostly roaming and no LTE. in the metro areas there are very few spots i lose LTE anymore and speeds are good, not amazing and the top, but good enough to do whatever i need to do. on average i get 3-6 meg down on either B25 or B26. sometimes i'll hit 10, 15, or 20 meg down but in the places i frequent its usually around the 4 to 5 meg mark. sprint only has 3 towers with B41 here (unlike lincoln that has a lot ;) ) and when i hit one of those then its 30 to 50 meg down. calls and texting are never issues around here.

if this stuff is becoming interesting to you, you should consider donating to the site. thats how it stays running is from donations from people, plus it gets you access to the maps so you can see where the towers are and what technology is installed in them. in IA and NE we have a pretty active community that keeps track of the upgrades on the towers. you do have to get to premier level to see B41 and B26 info, but your initial donation will get you access to maps on where the towers are and which ones at least have LTE.

Yep, us in Lincoln are blessed! Sprint 3G is notoriously slow, so I did a speed test yesterday, 1.80 (2.1 max) down , 1.48 up. Totally blew my expectations.

• 4 weeks later...

Both cities have multiple 8T8R sites broadcasting. Lincoln on a percentage basis is doing better than Omaha.

I agree the coverage in Lincoln was incredible. I wasnt impressed with the LTE coverage between Omaha and Des Moines though I basically had it on one tower which is ridiculous since its shown on coverage map to have.it

• 4 weeks later...

My home is SW of 25th and Capehart Road in the unincorporated portion of Bellevue, Nebraska.  Since I took an interest in this, everything I observed was band 25 on three different devices.  This morning, in my driveway, I observed my new HTC One M9 reflect Bands 25,26, and 41 ... not all at the same time, but within seconds of each change.  All observations were while sitting in my car in my driveway.  I am not sure if all the bands observed came from the same tower or not.

Given this is a new to me device, i had not yet learned screenshots with it, so I used one cell phone to shoot photos of the various changes.  I was debating with myself to post the photos or not given the request not post well known information photos.

I was using the basic screen of  LTE Discovery in the Signal tab. 

•  

Gs4 doesn't like power+ volume down

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• You can capture screenshots by pressing the Home android_Home_1.png key and the Power/Lock key simultaneously until a white border flashes around the edges of the screen. The screenshot will be copied to the clipboard and saved to the Screenshots folder in the Gallery.

1. To view a screenshot immediately after you capture it, open the Notification Panel by swiping your finger from the top of the screen to the bottom, and touchScreenshot captured. To view your screenshots at any time, from the Home screen, touch Apps icon_Apps_19.png > Gallery Icon_Gallery_3.png > Screenshots.

Stolen from

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00033404/243717/

• 1 month later...

Device: HTC One m9

Location: Boston Market inside and out - North of 114th and Dodge St in Omaha, NE  68154

SCP and LTE Discovery reports 8T8R TD-LTE Band 41

Device reports one bar

Sensory Speedtest - all faii

DNS RESOLVE TOO LONG

Image:

http://i.imgur.com/eSlrJCa.png?1

• 1 month later...

I ran a speed test in the south Sams Club in Lincoln parking lot on Sunday morning and was pleasantly surprised.

55 down and 14 up.

I'm trying to attach a screenshot.

14dd544.png

Edited by taylormoon
  • Like 2

I ran a speed test in the south Sams Club in Lincoln parking lot on Sunday morning and was pleasantly surprised.

55 down and 14 up.

Welcome! There is a Sprint site with 8T8R/Band 41 equipment installed close to there.

• 4 weeks later...

I got bored and decided to test out the speed of an iPhone 5s on Sprint's LTE. I've done this before at my house and have gotten about 3 down, 1.5 up but on my mom's LG G3 have gotten 30 down, 18 up in the exact same spot. Just tested near 56th and Old Cheney where I got this incredible speed! Honestly can't see a reason to not have Sprint in Lincoln unless you live in an area with lots of foliage (40th Street, Randolph, A, etc.). Wi-Fi Calling is also really great!1510986_470419709785742_3517005594245923

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
In Celebration of the following events in Omaha, Cox Communications will be opening up their city wide Wi-Fi to everyone for free during the whole month of June 2017.
Reportedly being a Cox customer will NOT be required.
Omaha will be hosting the College World Series
http://www.box-officetickets.com/NE/Omaha/TD-Ameritrade-Park-Omaha-Tickets/College-World-Series/v-8819/p-189?&gclid=CNnwxMruhtQCFQyHaQodC_EPNg 
http://www.ncaa.com/championships/baseball/d1/schedule 

and have a separate big event locally The Taste of Omaha.
https://www.facebook.com/Taste-of-Omaha-105007849543673/ 
http://showofficeonline.com/TasteHome/ 

====================================================

https://www.cox.com/residential/internet/wifi-hotspots.html 
Best information that I can get for now is select
  2. CoxWiFi or CoxWiFi_premium.
  3. Launch your Internet browser.
  4. You should get a request for your phone number.  Cox should text you a code to use.  The Wi-Fi is a secured system.  not an open system

As June gets closer, I will edit this when better information becomes available.

Source for above:  Cox Internet Support team.

My apologies in advance.  I forgot if and where to find a Nebraska/Iowa public forum.

• Like 1

Omaha will be hosting the College World Series?  And in June?  Newsflash.  Wow.

AJ

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Let's give this thread some life. Pulled from Reddit: Massive MIMO deployed on a handful of sites in Omaha, NE. https://imgur.com/gallery/LwiNW1J#JEYfPKK

I say this as one of two staff members on this site that lives in Omaha, but this market has a fairly active thread on the premier sponsor level  that tracks B26/B41 deployments locally, and has been tracking MIMO permits. It still isn't clear to us where those photos are actually from. Thanks for the link though.

• Like 5

On 4/24/2019 at 8:14 PM, Brad The Beast said:

Let's give this thread some life. Pulled from Reddit: Massive MIMO deployed on a handful of sites in Omaha, NE. https://imgur.com/gallery/LwiNW1J#JEYfPKK

First rule of real estate:  Location  Location Location 

info not supplied, so it is GIGO.  At least in the S4GRU posts the location is often posted too.  Mr Nuke cites the more detailed links.