Network Vision/LTE - Upstate New York Markets - Central & East (including Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, Ithaca, Utica)

bstrignano

Will it be 1x roaming or 3G roaming?

Not really sure going by past experience and sensorly and the coverage map. in the past i would of said 1x verizon but 3g verizon roaming has been more common recently but now ATT LTE roaming has started to pop up. Would be great if you let us know your experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you know if the carrier size is 3 or 5 MHz?  Its 3 MHz in the Cleveland market IBEZ zones.  B26 went live here back in the spring. Many sites within 20 miles or so of the Lake have the 0F northerly sector shut off.  In some cases only one sector is live at a particular site.  The strange thing is that many sites along the lakeshore have 0F active.  Maybe it's to test interference to Canada without a potential network interruption if sectors need to be shut off?

5 hours ago, Joski1624 said:

Do you know if the carrier size is 3 or 5 MHz?  Its 3 MHz in the Cleveland market IBEZ zones.  B26 went live here back in the spring. Many sites within 20 miles or so of the Lake have the 0F northerly sector shut off.  In some cases only one sector is live at a particular site.  The strange thing is that many sites along the lakeshore have 0F active.  Maybe it's to test interference to Canada without a potential network interruption if sectors need to be shut off?

It’s 3 MHz. In Syracuse, we are secondary and Canada is primary. That’s what’s with the abnormal EARFCN (8775). B26 will remain 3x3 for the forseeable future in markets where Canada is primary and we are secondary.  

• Like 1

The strange thing here is that Cleveland on what I believe is the "typical" B26 EARFCN which is 8763, and I've also been told that 3x3 is here to stay until further notice.  Our CDMA Channel is different being at 526.  In our secondary IBEZ zone, 1x800 was initially 476 and was changed to 526 when B26 launched. :sunny:

3 hours ago, Joski1624 said:

The strange thing here is that Cleveland on what I believe is the "typical" B26 EARFCN which is 8763, and I've also been told that 3x3 is here to stay until further notice.  Our CDMA Channel is different being at 526.  In our secondary IBEZ zone, 1x800 was initially 476 and was changed to 526 when B26 launched. :sunny:

We are primary in Cleveland and Canada is secondary, hence the usual channel. 5x5 will eventually come to all areas where we’re primary, if I remember correctly. 

It seems like a lot if not most of the 3G only sites that have been sitting are being converted to LTE around Syracuse and the surrounding area. It's still kind of like swiss cheese coverage which I have a feeling won't be fixed without more sites but it's good to see progress on that along with b26 being fired up. I have to admit I was contemplating looking at another provider after seeing no progress for so long in this area but I'm not so sure I want to look elsewhere now. I just hope with the proposed merger progress isn't completely halted.

11 hours ago, travismheim said:

It seems like a lot if not most of the 3G only sites that have been sitting are being converted to LTE around Syracuse and the surrounding area. It's still kind of like swiss cheese coverage which I have a feeling won't be fixed without more sites but it's good to see progress on that along with b26 being fired up. I have to admit I was contemplating looking at another provider after seeing no progress for so long in this area but I'm not so sure I want to look elsewhere now. I just hope with the proposed merger progress isn't completely halted.

That's nice to know, I've noticed that when Sprint "updates" their map it never seems to reflect any real changes at least here in upstate NY. Also speaking about coverage I really wish Sprint would use their old Nextel sits along route 12/12D between Utica and Lowville, the ONLY tower that you come across is in Boonville, NY (to me its like whats the point?) Also as of last week I noticed that Boonville is still 3G only, I wish out of all the sites they would give 800 to that tower since its the only one serving that area! Sprint also give me another mind boggling coverage when you go from the NY/PA border to Williamsport, a pretty decently used road. In BOTH cases Sprint could of used their old Nextel sites to fill in the gaps! Just some thoughts on what I wish Sprint would do/ change.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this was stated a long time ago, but is there a reason Albany isn't getting Band 41? Is there another party interfering with its deployment, like the IBEZ issue with 800Mhz? I never followed Albany enough to search for a reason why this was happening, but a friend moved there recently and is predictably experiencing horrid speeds in populated areas. 

13 hours ago, burnout8488 said:

I don't know if this was stated a long time ago, but is there a reason Albany isn't getting Band 41? Is there another party interfering with its deployment, like the IBEZ issue with 800Mhz? I never followed Albany enough to search for a reason why this was happening, but a friend moved there recently and is predictably experiencing horrid speeds in populated areas. 

I don't think there's a reason why, Albany likely just hasn't been a high priority for Sprint regarding a B41 rollout.

Having said that, there is some B41 now in downtown Albany via mini-macros (I posted some speed test results in this thread a few weeks ago, if you want to look for them). Hopefully that's a sign that broader B41 coverage is on the way in the Albany area sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Was in Albany today and found carrier aggregation in use. It was 2 5mhz Band 25 channels, 8321 & 8665. Gave me a solid download of 33mb and upload was 5 mb so definitely an improvement from the 5 down and 3 up I usually see in Glens Falls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 2:06 AM, Joseph Monsour said:

Was in Albany today and found carrier aggregation in use. It was 2 5mhz Band 25 channels, 8321 & 8665. Gave me a solid download of 33mb and upload was 5 mb so definitely an improvement from the 5 down and 3 up I usually see in Glens Falls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Albany right now and B25 does seem healthy in most spots. 20-30Mbps downtown. Populated areas do suffer, though.

I also mapped all of I-88 on sensorly, it's nearly 100% LTE now with only a few drops to 3G due to geography/non-optimization. (I'm pretty sure all of the sites have been converted to LTE, though)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, burnout8488 said:

In Albany right now and B25 does seem healthy in most spots. 20-30Mbps downtown. Populated areas do suffer, though.

These speeds are really good for only 10 x 10 mhz of CA spectrum. I honestly think there aren't many sprint customers left in the city. I struggle to hit 20mbps at 1am in my market with the same conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

Got 125Mbps in downtown Binghamton last night on NYE. It seems like they finally provisioned more backhaul to this site. It has always been weak, I assume, due to a dense population of MVNO customers in this area.

Most sites around here have 3xCA enabled but can’t crack more than 60-80Mbps. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, burnout8488 said:

All of the highway sites surrounding Binghamton are LTE complete now as well, including the GMOs. (Despite what Sprint's coverage map implies) Apalachin, Owego, Vestal - all done. (Source: I drove to them)

That's funny.  I'm working on these for the next update.  Upstate NY East market too.

Robert

EDIT:  Here is the last site I had just logged:

GrippenHill.png

• Like 1

Is there any indication as to how these highway builds were done after going 3G-->LTE?

Are they still ground mount RRUs running B25-only with B26 planned shortly in the future? This would explain some of the LTE drops I've seen on I-81 and I-88 that were recently converted to LTE.

39 minutes ago, burnout8488 said:

Is there any indication as to how these highway builds were done after going 3G-->LTE?

Are they still ground mount RRUs running B25-only with B26 planned shortly in the future? This would explain some of the LTE drops I've seen on I-81 and I-88 that were recently converted to LTE.

They are practically all GMO.  For the most part, if it doesn't have 800, it's likely is a GMO.

1 minute ago, S4GRU said:

They are practically all GMO.  For the most part, if it doesn't have 800, it's likely is a GMO.

Thanks, so single-band LTE until they are eventually converted to full-build? No chance of a B26 carrier card on GMOs? (I feel like I knew all of this back in 2013 but forgot!)

• Like 1

Just now, burnout8488 said:

Thanks, so single-band LTE until they are eventually converted to full-build? No chance of a B26 carrier card on GMOs? (I feel like I knew all of this back in 2013 but forgot!)

Yeah, unfortunately GMOs will not run 800MHz.  However, Sprint is now planning to fast track GMO to full build conversions since the Tmo breakup.  So the end is nigh for the GMO.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, S4GRU said:

Yeah, unfortunately GMOs will not run 800MHz.  However, Sprint is now planning to fast track GMO to full build conversions since the Tmo breakup.  So the end is nigh for the GMO.

This is certainly promising.  Other markets like the seemingly forgotten West PA market now have 800MHz sites that have been found by S4GRU members.