What do you want the EVO 3 to have?

xcharles718

Great question, I remember someone asking this about the "evo 2" in a thread a year ago, not sure which website though(either ppcgeeks, androidcentral, androidforums or xda) and my wish list actually turned out to be the galaxy nexus. Before much was known about the gnex or ics I wanted the "evo 2" have a larger screen than 4.3", I wanted a phone with no physical buttons like honeycomb, I also wanted a 720p screen with a dual core processor. I wish I could find where I posted that.

Anyway as far as the "evo 3" goes, I am hoping for pretty much the same. It better have a 720p screen, at least 4.7" screen, super amoled plus(year right), good camera with zero shutter lag, 32gb of storage, razr maxx type battery. As far as processors go, I was very excited with the thought of having a dual core processor in a phone but I honestly believe that quad cores are overkill so the evo 3 having a dual core or a quad core isn't that significant to me.

As long as there are no gimmicks on this new one I'll be interested. Quad-core will be nice, but if HTC/Sprint keep the annual launch date, then it will come too early. I think quad-cores will be coming out this fall at the earliest, but when they do, Wow!

Great question, I remember someone asking this about the "evo 2" in a thread a year ago, not sure which website though(either ppcgeeks, androidcentral, androidforums or xda) and my wish list actually turned out to be the galaxy nexus. Before much was known about the gnex or ics I wanted the "evo 2" have a larger screen than 4.3", I wanted a phone with no physical buttons like honeycomb, I also wanted a 720p screen with a dual core processor. I wish I could find where I posted that.

Anyway as far as the "evo 3" goes, I am hoping for pretty much the same. It better have a 720p screen, at least 4.7" screen, super amoled plus(year right), good camera with zero shutter lag, 32gb of storage, razr maxx type battery. As far as processors go, I was very excited with the thought of having a dual core processor in a phone but I honestly believe that quad cores are overkill so the evo 3 having a dual core or a quad core isn't that significant to me.

I also would like to see some camera performance increase. I have no interest in the 3D outside of the power increase from my 4G. That being said, I really would like to see more of a tablet/phone hybrid similar to the Note. Performance I would be satisfied with dual core. You can really tweak a HTC phone to work at amazing speeds with "subpar" hardware. Be nice to have full 1080p as well like the Bionic. I'm not a Motorola fan but my best friend has a Bionic and that phone is amazing. Last hut not least, battery, they absolutely need to improve this or face losing the swing consumers as HTC fanboys/girls will buy no matter what. Motorola has figured it out with the Razr and others will be right there too.

The Android Strikes Back 4G

http://pocketnow.com...rint-lte-phones

uh oh let the rumors begin.

Very interesting, I hope they really swing for the fences and come out with a very nice looking phone with beast specs. I may end up putting my galaxy nexus purchase on hold if this things kicks serious ass.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really frustrated with the trend of focusing on increasing screen sizes and quad cores.

I currently have an original Evo 4G, and what I would would like to see in a successor is:

• Dual core with at least ~1.2 GHz max clock frequency. 1.5+ GHz is OK as long as it scales down to lower clock frequencies when possible to save battery
  • Improved manufacturing process on the CPU (i.e., 28nm) to reduce power consumption. The dual core Snapdragon S4 seems like the preferred CPU to me.
  • Switch from a 4.3" screen + separate capacitive buttons to a single screen that's in the range of 4.3 to 4.7 inches without separate buttons. This would be roughly similar to a screen that's between 4" and 4.4" when considering the elimination of the discrete buttons.
  • Overall dimensions should not exceed the current Evo 4G's within reason. The Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound, RAZR, and HTC One X are all too tall in my opinion. The HTC One S at least is very thin and has a nice width, but is still just a little taller than I'd like. Look at this size comparison of the Galaxy Nexus vs. Evo 4G - http://phone-size.com/?s=3%2C36 - The Galaxy Nexus screen itself is actually a good size considering it replaces the capacitive buttons, but there is a ton of vertical bevel space on this device compared to the Evo. The HTC One X is also too tall and too wide (69.9mm vs the Evo at 66mm). Remember that when the Evo 4G was released, it was considered a huge device and many people didn't like the size of it. These newer high-end devices make the Evo look small.
  • (Obviously) Android ICS 4.x support
  • Increase stock battery size (Evo 4G was 1500mAh - its successor should be at least 1800mAh)
  • Increase internal memory size. 16GB is acceptable as long as MicroSD card support exists, otherwise 32GB minimum required
  • (Obviously) Increase RAM from 512MB to 1GB+
  • NFC support
  • LTE radio support for 1900 and 800 MHz bands

Unfortunately, there do not appear to be any upcoming or existing phones that meet these requirements.

Here are some things that I don't want or care about in the Evo successor:

• Bigger screen (other than increasing it to compensate for removal of capacitive buttons). The Evo 4G's screen is big enough, and is about as large as I'd ever want to be able to comfortably swipe across the entire width and height of the device while holding it with one hand. Slightly smaller would be fine with me even. The Nexus S was a good size.
  • Unibody / non-removable battery (HTC One, sigh). This is a silly trend.
  • Removal of MicroSD card support (I could tolerate this, but I'd rather not have to)
  • Quad core 1.5 GHz+ processors. I'd rather have longer battery life with a slower processor. I've never felt CPU-limited by the Evo 4G even, although I acknowledge that it'd be nice to have a second core purely for the parallel processing aspect of it. Yes, you could have software intelligently power down or clock down unused cores, but overall I just don't care about having this additional CPU speed.
  • Unnecessarily large screen resolutions. Honestly the 800x480 display on the Evo 4G is fine for me. 1280x720 is nice I guess, and I wouldn't mind it as long as they keep power consumption down. Increasing resolution can significantly increase the processing power required without much noticeable benefit beyond a certain point.

Edited by NateC

in regards to the size of the device....youll get used to it...I remember when the evo4G came out people thought it was too big as it was a big jump from previous phone sizes....now its the norm...yes there is a point where it gets too big and I believe anything bigger than the Note would be that level...The size of the Nexus and Razor are fine imho, same with the OneX.

As far as resolution goes, after having the EVO3D, I hate having to pick up my EVO4G for testing as the resolution is so much worse on it...icons look like giants on the thing and not near as sharp as the 3D.

Besides the screen size thing and 800MHz LTE support, everything you list is in the HTC One Series...

in regards to the size of the device....youll get used to it...I remember when the evo4G came out people thought it was too big as it was a big jump from previous phone sizes....now its the norm...yes there is a point where it gets too big and I believe anything bigger than the Note would be that level...The size of the Nexus and Razor are fine imho, same with the OneX.

As far as resolution goes, after having the EVO3D, I hate having to pick up my EVO4G for testing as the resolution is so much worse on it...icons look like giants on the thing and not near as sharp as the 3D.

Besides the screen size thing and 800MHz LTE support, everything you list is in the HTC One Series...

You may be right about getting used to the overall size, and I hope it turns out that way because it doesn't look like manufacturers are focusing much on OG EVO-sized devices or smaller. Assuming I could get used to the overall size, I still have these gripes about the HTC One series:

• (One X) Screen height. The HTC One X has a screen larger than even the Galaxy Nexus and it has separate capacitive buttons. It's about 1cm more than the Evo 4G. It should be fine for me, but I could see it being awkward using it one-handed sometimes when I have to stretch my thumb further (think about holding it in one hand and pulling down the notification bar with your thumb).
  • (One X/S) Embedded non-replaceable battery. I'm assuming they will have a way to hard reset to alleviate the need to pull the battery, but I don't like not being able to replace it. What if I want to install a larger battery? What if I want to keep a spare charged battery with me for emergencies to swap out? If the battery goes bad, I don't want to have to send my phone in to the manufacturer to get it fixed. It's a step backwards.
  • (One S) Lack of NFC support
  • (One S) Lack of Micro-SD card support, but only 16 GB of internal memory. The X has 32 GB at least.

I like the size of the One S, but dislike the lack of NFC and SD card support. I don't think the size itself is too small to support NFC since much smaller phones support it, so I get the feeling that they left it out to distinguish their S and X line more, which is unfortunate.

You may be right about getting used to the overall size, and I hope it turns out that way because it doesn't look like manufacturers are focusing much on OG EVO-sized devices or smaller. Assuming I could get used to the overall size, I still have these gripes about the HTC One series:

• (One X) Screen height. The HTC One X has a screen larger than even the Galaxy Nexus and it has separate capacitive buttons. It's about 1cm more than the Evo 4G. It should be fine for me, but I could see it being awkward using it one-handed sometimes when I have to stretch my thumb further (think about holding it in one hand and pulling down the notification bar with your thumb).
  • (One X/S) Embedded non-replaceable battery. I'm assuming they will have a way to hard reset to alleviate the need to pull the battery, but I don't like not being able to replace it. What if I want to install a larger battery? What if I want to keep a spare charged battery with me for emergencies to swap out? If the battery goes bad, I don't want to have to send my phone in to the manufacturer to get it fixed. It's a step backwards.
  • (One S) Lack of NFC support
  • (One S) Lack of Micro-SD card support, but only 16 GB of internal memory. The X has 32 GB at least.

I like the size of the One S, but dislike the lack of NFC and SD card support. I don't think the size itself is too small to support NFC since much smaller phones support it, so I get the feeling that they left it out to distinguish their S and X line more, which is unfortunate.

To reset/reboot the device itll just be a matter of a combination between the power volume buttons to trigger it. Thats how its done on other devices that have non-removable batteries...

Though I agree with you as my gripe is the lack of expandable storage(micro-sd)...16GB on the OneS is laughable to me...esp if you are a ROM flasher...

I think OneS lacks NFC b/c of the shell and its material it has interfering with it...though I could be wrong on that one....

I expect it to have quad core processing, newer version of the HTC sense software and I expect it to get a part time job and bring in a income.

A phone that works and brings in income would be so cool, lol.

Sprint has said that all LTE phones, except possibly low end models, will have NFC, so don't worry about that aspect.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Agreed, Scott. And, based on the upcoming release of the LG Optimus Elite, I believe Sprint has now made that evident. The Optimus Elite is an entry level Android phone... equipped with NFC.

http://phandroid.com/2012/03/30/lg-optimus-elite-pictured-for-both-sprint-and-virgin-mobile-will-offer-nfc-at-an-affordable-price/