Network Vision/LTE - Orange County Market (Anaheim/Santa Ana/Irvine/Huntington Beach)

mbaseball3

Totally agree the cell spacing for 1.9 is horrendous in So Cal. HPUE and B26 would barely make up for it. Sprint needs to add a ton of macro amd small cells in So Cal to improve coverage.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm tempted to switch my 5 lines to T-Mobile in September for iPhone 8 but I'll wait and see. They're talking to Tmo again about a merger so if they do come to a deal then I won't need to switch carriers. Fingers crossed ????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm tempted to switch my 5 lines to T-Mobile in September for iPhone 8 but I'll wait and see. They're talking to Tmo again about a merger so if they do come to a deal then I won't need to switch carriers. Fingers crossed

Lets just hope the merger does not happen between Sprint and Tmobile.  i don't want to see the consolidation of 4 national carriers into 3.  I like the competitive environment as it is now.  Mergers will only lead to higher prices and not to mention that Sprint/Tmo would need to disperse a ton of spectrum to satisfy regulators.

Lets just hope the merger does not happen between Sprint and Tmobile. i don't want to see the consolidation of 4 national carriers into 3. I like the competitive environment as it is now. Mergers will only lead to higher prices and not to mention that Sprint/Tmo would need to disperse a ton of spectrum to satisfy regulators.

We'll see what happens. I think exact opposite. A stronger 3 is better then a strong 3 and weak 4th. Sprint doesn't have the funds to improve its network in a timely fashion nor are they going to expand its LTE reach anytime soon. The issues in SoCal and tower spacing are glaring. The network grid just isn't dense in SoCal when it should be given it's the largest market. I've been with them since 1999, but I'll wait and see. Personally I'm for the merger and doubt it'll increase prices THAT much but we'll see

We'll see what happens. I think exact opposite. A stronger 3 is better then a strong 3 and weak 4th. Sprint doesn't have the funds to improve its network in a timely fashion nor are they going to expand its LTE reach anytime soon. The issues in SoCal and tower spacing are glaring. The network grid just isn't dense in SoCal when it should be given it's the largest market. I've been with them since 1999, but I'll wait and see. Personally I'm for the merger and doubt it'll increase prices THAT much but we'll see

The problem I see is that merging the two together will not improve the debt obligations and its flexibility to do more.  In fact it will just amplify and exacerbate the issue.  Then the whole idea of the CDMA shutdown will come up again.  Tmobile did a great job in shutting down the MetroPCS CDMA network but to do it in a much larger scale with Sprint is going to take more time and cannot afford to invest in CDMA/EVDO/UTMS/HSPA/LTE technologies to keep capex down.  Tmobile is doing their part in drawing customers away from Verizon and ATT already in Q1.  Sprint took a minor blip away from Verizon and ATT in Q1 with net postpaid adds. I don't think even if Softbank is a minority share that they can just pump billions into the combined network because that will result in an increased stake in the joint company which is why Softbank has been careful into just going ALL IN into Sprint with additional funding since that would put them above the 85% stake which would immediately tender an offer to buy the entire company.

With the Magic Box and HPUE improvements, Sprint can just continue to deploy their small cell strategy to expand its network and can also try to expand the B41 network via the Magic Boxes once they start becoming more available.  Throughout 2017 and 2018, Sprint should try to find a way to pump more money into network capex.  What sorta breakup fee would be required to get this merger done?  If I were Tmobile, i would command 2.5 GHz spectrum as part of the penalty since there is a B41 LTE ecosystem already especially with HPUE availability and can really use more spectrum in their portfolio since they still have the least out of the 4 major carriers.

• 1 month later...

Is there really LTE 800 in Irvine? I see a TOY site by John Wayne airport on the map & another site by Zion Market.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Is there really LTE 800 in Irvine? I see a TOY site by John Wayne airport on the map & another site by Zion Market.

I don't know. No one has verified them yet. Check them out if you're in the area and report back. I'd love to hear confirmation.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

I don't know. No one has verified them yet. Check them out if you're in the area and report back. I'd love to hear confirmation.

I work in Costa Mesa, so I will check the toy cell by Fountain Valley, I take Euclid  daily to go to work. Havent seen anything 

• Like 1

I work in Costa Mesa, so I will check the toy cell by Fountain Valley, I take Euclid  daily to go to work. Havent seen anything 

The Toy Cell is the least likely to get out on the street.  Those are typically only indoors.  However, I have connected to the Toy Cell in Cheyenne, Wyoming before.  But only once of the three times I've driven by it.  So it's possible.

The Toy Cell is the least likely to get out on the street.  Those are typically only indoors.  However, I have connected to the Toy Cell in Cheyenne, Wyoming before.  But only once of the three times I've driven by it.  So it's possible.

This is what I connected to when I was in the building.Screenshot_20170713-172059.pngScreenshot_20170713-171821.png

Screenshot_20170713-171802.png

• Like 4

This is what I connected to when I was in the building.

Yeah, with really strong B41 and B25, it would be hard to get it to jump to B26 if it was there. It would likely require a device with band locking to find.

I drove to Zion market in Irvine but I didn't connect to Band 26 LTE nor 800 MHz voice, despite setting band priority to Band 26.

At least in LA, I connect to 800 MHz voice.

• Like 2

I drove to Zion market in Irvine but I didn't connect to Band 26 LTE nor 800 MHz voice, despite setting band priority to Band 26.

At least in LA, I connect to 800 MHz voice.

Bummer. Thanks for checking it out. Hopefully soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Today I was at the Zara clothing store inside South Coast Plaza - a known Sprint deadzone for both voice & data - and to my surprise, I got an alert from SignalCheck Pro that I was connected to Sprint 1x800 voice.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0BzXeLw4AsxZHQXBCb0lQQVhlRWM

Screenshot_20170813-164011.png

And going deeper inside the store, I didn't lose voice nor data this time.  SignalCheck Pro reported that I was still on B41.  

I guess Sprint is making improvements to this area.  I've sent several reports to Sprint about this dead zone through their app.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anything new to report about band 26 for SoCal or is this all a pipe dream hoping it gets cleared for rollout before 2027 ?

Still a pipedream thx to Mexico.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Small cells are there and more are planned.

Sent from my LG G6

I hope so. The tower spacing in SoCal s laughable at best. Everytime I’m at Disneyland I debate if I should even bring my phone in with me as it’s virtually unusable while every carrier has strong and usable signal.

I"ve noticed people struggling on all the networks at Disneyland, Just too many people in too small a space, and now they've made it where you kinda need their app for fastpasses etc (you can still use your ticket but it's way easier on the app). On our last trip there we basically didn't have any problems and it's way better than it was a couple years ago. It only really sucks when you are in an attraction, outside was basically slowish but working. You also can use the app for park entrance, just give yourself a few extra seconds for it to load (LOL!).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope so. The tower spacing in SoCal s laughable at best. Everytime I’m at Disneyland I debate if I should even bring my phone in with me as it’s virtually unusable while every carrier has strong and usable signal.

Its funny i just left Disneyland and the Sprint network in that area is horrible. During any event like world of color or fireworks it is completely unusable. Verizon was no better though. Couldn't even start a speed test on Verizon. My stay here in Orange county has made me appreciate how well Sprint performs in my home network of Portland. A few strategically placed mini macros would greatly improve the Sprint user experience at Disney.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

From what I can tell anyway, Disney doesn't allow towers on property so all the towers have to be on the other side of all the surface streets. In addition the DIsney hotels line (I thnk it's Disneyland Drive) on the side of the park where World of color is so that puts another block of distance (for Sprint that whole street and the hotels is pretty bad). As near as I can tell, and I'm no expert, the closest Sprint tower to the Paradise Pier area is the one on the roof of the parking garage for the Marriott hotel at the back of the cconvention center, Long story short the coverage in that part of the park is nearly unusuable during these type of events. Disney is slowly adding wifi around the parks though as thier app is slowly beocming the way to do everything (fast passes, dining reservations, tickets, etc.)

ATT is the official wireless sponsor in the parks but from what I can tell, they also haven't been able to do anything to improve coverage. 

Outside the park down Harbor I was connecting to a lot of MM (B41 Mobilelite?). In my hotel room. In restaurants. A couple weeks ago. Sometimes two MM at the same time. Great speeds.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

• Like 1