Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

Check out this app on LTE only mode I was able to make calls (don't remember about receiving calls). Basically uses your Google voice number to make calls and such. It even was running fine on fringe LTE and EVDO.

So they finally turned up 1x800 at the site right outside my office...but I'm confused...do tri-band devices communicate on both 800Mhz and 1900Mhz at the same time? I was under the impression that it was single path, but here's my dilemma:

uploadfromtaptalk1401737215711.jpg

mu8yry4y.jpg

py3a2epa.jpg

y8ysy2e8.jpg

I am connected to 1x800 and evdo at the same time. I thought 1x800 wasn't including evdo. Also the signal looks crappier than evdo and I'm standing this far away from the site:

uploadfromtaptalk1401737215711.jpg

Sprint is top rack...

Also I have to force the test prl in the Premier section to attach to 800. Does anyone with production 1x800 know what SID and prl they are on and are getting working 1x800? Or sid it's 22433...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1401737414842.jpg

So they finally turned up 1x800 at the site right outside my office...but I'm confused...do tri-band devices communicate on both 800Mhz and 1900Mhz at the same time? I was under the impression that it was single path, but here's my dilemma:

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1401737215711.jpg

I am connected to 1x800 and evdo at the same time. I thought 1x800 wasn't including evdo. Also the signal looks crappier than evdo and I'm standing this far away from the site:

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1401737414842.jpg

Sprint is top rack...

Also I have to force the test prl in the Premier section to attach to 800. Does anyone with production 1x800 know what SID and prl they are on and are getting working 1x800? Or sid it's 22433...

Yea you can be connected to evdo and 1x800 at the same time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You are not actually connected to both at the same time. For single path devices like the G2, N5, HTC One M8, etc, when not on LTE, the radio bounces between 1x and EVDO. If you watch signal check, you'll notice that only one of the technologies updates at a time. Unlike say the HTC One M7, where both 1x and EVDO update at the same time. 

• Like 1

You are not actually connected to both at the same time. For single path devices like the G2, N5, HTC One M8, etc, when not on LTE, the radio bounces between 1x and EVDO. If you watch signal check, you'll notice that only one of the technologies updates at a time. Unlike say the HTC One M7, where both 1x and EVDO update at the same time.

Thanks for the clarification David! I was wondering how that happened...

You can also be recieving a 1xrtt signal(either 800 or 1900) from one tower and ev-do from a different tower which is what appears to be happening at your office. If the 1xrtt 800MHz signal you are receiving were coming from the same tower as your ev-do it would be around -45dbm.

• Like 1

You can also be recieving a 1xrtt signal(either 800 or 1900) from one tower and ev-do from a different tower which is what appears to be happening at your office. If the 1xrtt 800MHz signal you are receiving were coming from the same tower as your ev-do it would be around -45dbm.

I have the issue of my 800mhz voice service being weaker than evdo and 1900mhz voice being the same or in some case better. I know that these signals are coming from the same site. Why is this? 800mhz is the stronger signal right?
  • Like 1

I have the issue of my 800mhz voice service being weaker than evdo and 1900mhz voice being the same or in some case better. I know that these signals are coming from the same site. Why is this? 800mhz is the stronger signal right?

During the testing phase power output may be much lower than after acceptance. I know that one of the sites that I use regularly was like that. When it first started broadcasting 800MHz it was only usable for ~1 mile from the tower and signal levels when right by the tower were in the -70db range. Now it is at full power and covers a much greater area.

All else being equal (including the frequency), CDMA 1x will have superior propagation to Ev-DO, thanks mostly to having a lower order of modulation. Sprint chose to not deploy Ev-DO on SMR, so Ev-DO will always have a weaker signal and drop out before 1x (on either frequency) does.

Assuming that all sites in your area are upgraded, 1xA 800 should be the absolute last type of Sprint signal to drop before you begin to roam or have no service. As ImmerStark said, it is likely they are still testing things at that site, because tests are usually conducted at minimal power output and full downtilt. If 1x800 coverage remains subpar for more than a week or two, I would let Sprint know that the site has been left improperly configured.

All else being equal (including the frequency), CDMA 1x will have superior propagation to Ev-DO, thanks mostly to having a lower order of modulation. Sprint chose to not deploy Ev-DO on SMR, so Ev-DO will always have a weaker signal and drop out before 1x (on either frequency) does.

Assuming that all sites in your area are upgraded, 1xA 800 should be the absolute last type of Sprint signal to drop before you begin to roam or have no service. As ImmerStark said, it is likely they are still testing things at that site, because tests are usually conducted at minimal power output and full downtilt. If 1x800 coverage remains subpar for more than a week or two, I would let Sprint know that the site has been left improperly configured.

I have two sites near me. The closest site has LTE and cdma 800, it has been deployed for 5 months or so. The other site I bounce off of from time to time has LTE but no 800 deployed yet. Could this be why tilt might be off and has minimal power?

I have the same issue.  Granted, I have a Note II that I have loaded a custom PRL on so I get 1x800 at all (Since some Note IIs really have problems on 1x800)  So maybe it is just my phone.  I get about a bar stronger signal at my condo on 1x800, yet the 1900 quality is better.

I may even just accept the non-800MHz PRL is forcing on the Note IIs because of this.

If the 800 signal is strong, then there's no issue and quality is very good.

Im noticing 800 mhz LTE in the SW Florida area. Does that mean spark is coming to that area? Or is it just plain 800 mhz deployment. Plus I'm noticing a slight change in coverage but not a big difference.

Im noticing 800 mhz LTE in the SW Florida area. Does that mean spark is coming to that area? Or is it just plain 800 mhz deployment. Plus I'm noticing a slight change in coverage but not a big difference.

Full acceptance of all five 800/1900 Network Vision upgrades on a cell site is a prerequisite to Nokia's rollout of 8T8R band 41 upgrades on the same site. That doesn't mean that 800 LTE is indicative of a band 41 upgrade coming soon, just that it won't be possible otherwise.

1x800 deployment has been funny here. My Moto X has been latching onto it quite frequently, but the coverage seems identical to 1x1900... Calls drop in the same locations while driving as they did on 1900.

Signalcheck never shows my 1x800 signal going below -104db. If it's bouncing around from -100 to -104 when i'm on the fringe, it's working fine... but if it sits at -104 too long it seems as if it doesn't have a usable data link, and just hasn't figured that out yet. Eventually it will drop back to 1900 until it scans for 800 again.

Also, Signalcheck is showing 800mhz service from two different towers in my area, both with different addresses than the towers I knew about with LTE. I haven't zeroed in on them yet to see if they actually turned up new towers for 800mhz, or if Signalcheck just has the addresses wrong...

1x800 deployment has been funny here. My Moto X has been latching onto it quite frequently, but the coverage seems identical to 1x1900... Calls drop in the same locations while driving as they did on 1900.

Signalcheck never shows my 1x800 signal going below -104db. If it's bouncing around from -100 to -104 when i'm on the fringe, it's working fine... but if it sits at -104 too long it seems as if it doesn't have a usable data link, and just hasn't figured that out yet. Eventually it will drop back to 1900 until it scans for 800 again.

Also, Signalcheck is showing 800mhz service from two different towers in my area, both with different addresses than the towers I knew about with LTE. I haven't zeroed in on them yet to see if they actually turned up new towers for 800mhz, or if Signalcheck just has the addresses wrong...

The 1x location is often offset from the actual cell site into the serving cell. And if you're not seeing a performance improvement on 1x800, it probably isn't fully optimized yet.

• Like 2

The 1x location is often offset from the actual cell site into the serving cell. And if you're not seeing a performance improvement on 1x800, it probably isn't fully optimized yet.

That makes sense. The address range shown is about 1-2 miles from where the actual sites are. Thanks!

I new to this thread. I have a question about 800MHz LTE and Sprints 2.5GHz band 41. I live in Southern Michigan and about a week ago I talked to some Sprint tower climbers that were installing 2.5 equipment on a water tower in my rural area. The first thing I was wondering is why they would be installing 2.5GHz equipment before 800MHz LTE antennas? Seems like that would be installed in bigger cities this early in the upgrade process. 

I new to this thread. I have a question about 800MHz LTE and Sprints 2.5GHz band 41. I live in Southern Michigan and about a week ago I talked to some Sprint tower climbers that were installing 2.5 equipment on a water tower in my rural area. The first thing I was wondering is why they would be installing 2.5GHz equipment before 800MHz LTE antennas? Seems like that would be installed in bigger cities this early in the upgrade process. 

Are you saying that they were adding 2.5 GHz equipment to a legacy site, or that they were creating a new site with 2.5 GHz equipment only? Because you may see the latter frequently since 2.5 GHz requires denser site spacing.

Are you saying that they were adding 2.5 GHz equipment to a legacy site, or that they were creating a new site with 2.5 GHz equipment only? Because you may see the latter frequently since 2.5 GHz requires denser site spacing.

They were adding 2.5 GHz equipment to an existing site that has been 3G upgraded and has added 1900 MHz equipment to it.

They were adding 2.5 GHz equipment to an existing site that has been 3G upgraded and has added 1900 MHz equipment to it.

The equipment that is added to make a site 3G upgraded contains the 800 equipment in it.

-Anthony

Except in this case; depending on where he's located in Southern Michigan he may be in the IBEZ, and Samsung has installed antennas and RRUs that are capable of only 1900 MHz.

West of I-69 is the rough cutoff for the IBEZ.

Except in this case; depending on where he's located in Southern Michigan he may be in the IBEZ, and Samsung has installed antennas and RRUs that are capable of only 1900 MHz.

West of I-69 is the rough cutoff for the IBEZ.

The panels that are installed are still capable of 800, but they only install RRU's that are capable of 1900.

-Anthony

It seems weird that they don't install the 800MHz RRUs in the IBEZ even though eventually 800 will be available in that area for Sprint to use. Seems like it's unnecessary extra work for the installer techs, no?