RootMetrics

bollar

Do any of these iphone apps crowdsource the coverage to GPS data like the Android Sensorly app does? Really it's just a coverage viewer for iphone users.. or am I wrong?

RootMetrics does upload coverage data collected by iPhones. It's the only one that I know of that does. It takes 5-10 minutes for your test to show on their map.

And like Sensorly you can see the updates online http://www.rootmetrics.com/

A couple of tips for those using it based on my observations of the app:

• To get data speed numbers, first Switch the Coverage Report to Data Speed.
  • Tap and hold on a hexagonal color to drop a pin. You can then look to see how many samples were taken.
  • Tap on the icon that comes up that looks like a graph to get average up/down speeds. You can also compare that location with other carriers.

When looking at Coverage Reports, the RootScore is a combo of the Signal Strength and Data Speed reports. I like to look at all three reports on a location.

The app cannot be run in the background unlike other GPS apps. If you exit the screen while collecting data, it pauses collection until you return and then tap the Play button.

The hexagons aren't very big, so if you are driving and collecting, you may see gaps between hexagons if you're a speedy Texas driver like myself. :) You just have to collect data a few more times to get it all.

Also since the hexagons are small, you may have to zoom in a bit to see them.

RootMetrics does upload coverage data collected by iPhones. It's the only one that I know of that does. It takes 5-10 minutes for your test to show on their map.

Here's another one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carriercompare-find-best-service/id516075262?mt=8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone having issues with RootMetrics today? I was getting zero/fail download but uploads were working great.

I was having the same issue on the 31st, seems to have resolved itself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

BTW there was an update to RootMetrics yesterday. The Test Network screen changed a bit, and you can set a timer for how long to capture. Still can't capture in the background though. Navigating the coverage map seems to be a bit quicker.

• 8 months later...

FYI the new iOS update 7.0.3 broke the Signal monitor portion of RM (speed tests still work).  When I reported it this morning, I got an email from RM that there will be an updated version of the software that fixes it.  The update supposedly comes out today, so if you use RootMetrics hold off on mapping anything until the update.

Sorry to be off topic, but I wish Sensorly would get it going with iOS devices and work like Rootmetrics does, so all of the Android and iOS data was in one spot...

I'll have to try Root Metrics next time im in a 4g area and see how it does.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with that.  Sensorly has said that Apple doesn't provide public API access to the signal strength, yet RM is somehow able to do it.  I'd love to use Sensorly, but until that's worked out, RM it is.

• 8 months later...

Rootmetrics released a pretty big update.  It now uses fasted speed instead of average when displaying its color hexes.  You can still see the average speed if you drop a pin and look at the details. 

It also has a new setting for "Best Technology found." This differentiates between 2G/3G, 3G+ and 4G.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...