EVO still a good phone?

darnell89

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is the EVO 4G LTE still one of the best phones on the Market?

• YES
    • NO

You guys just proved my point for me. I know what root is as I've done it to a million phones. And I know what S-OFF to unlock the bootloader. Currently there is no way to root the phone without S-OFF ing it or notifying HTC. Exactly what I said in my first post. And I'm not paying $11 per month for protection that I have to pay $150 if my phone breaks. So, no, I have no protection other than the HTC warranty. The EVO LTE blows. There is such a small dev community compared to the OG EVO and rooting is impossible without S-OFF. I don't want to S-OFF as I simply want to root until the JellyBean update comes and then I want to accept that without any issues or worries. S-OFF means you can't update your radios or accept updates without annoyances.

Guess this has changed, I had root a long time before I unlocked. It's no big deal as I brought my phone to Sprint, I just re locked and put back to stick before I did that. Just so they couldn't blame it on that.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

You guys just proved my point for me. I know what root is as I've done it to a million phones. And I know what S-OFF to unlock the bootloader. Currently there is no way to root the phone without S-OFF ing it or notifying HTC. Exactly what I said in my first post. And I'm not paying $11 per month for protection that I have to pay $150 if my phone breaks. So, no, I have no protection other than the HTC warranty. The EVO LTE blows. There is such a small dev community compared to the OG EVO and rooting is impossible without S-OFF. I don't want to S-OFF as I simply want to root until the JellyBean update comes and then I want to accept that without any issues or worries. S-OFF means you can't update your radios or accept updates without annoyances.

You do realize that HTC's warranty is only for one year, right? And you signed a 2-year contract? And that HTC's warranty only covers manufacturer defects, not normal wear and tear? And that if you want them to honor it, you have to ship it to them and pay shipping both ways? And that they still have the option of rejecting it and shipping it back to you as-is? And that if you bust the screen your only option is... uh... buy one off Craigslist?

Do you additionally realize that the $150 deductible is ONLY for cases of the phone being lost, stolen, physically damaged (read: smashed), or water damaged? Everything else is covered at $0. No, really. Everything. You can hard brick your phone, take it in to a repair center, and get a replacement ordered at $0. And that, even without that, it's only $35 a pop. But if you didn't want that, ESRP is available for only $4/month, did you know that? And did you know that covers "almost everything" like I mentioned above?

Did you additionally know that Sprint's pricing for deductibles is rather fair compared to other carriers on the market? For the HTC One X (very similar to the EVO LTE), AT&T will charge you $199. And for the Galaxy SIII (similar pricing), Verizon will charge you $99, and T-Mobile will charge you $130. Did you also know that such deductible pricing is set at an agreement between the carriers and Asurion, the only mobile insurance company worth mentioning?

So, what I'm saying is, go ahead and root. Really. You'll be fine.

You do realize that HTC's warranty is only for one year, right? And you signed a 2-year contract? And that HTC's warranty only covers manufacturer defects, not normal wear and tear? And that if you want them to honor it, you have to ship it to them and pay shipping both ways? And that they still have the option of rejecting it and shipping it back to you as-is? And that if you bust the screen your only option is... uh... buy one off Craigslist?

Do you additionally realize that the $150 deductible is ONLY for cases of the phone being lost, stolen, physically damaged (read: smashed), or water damaged? Everything else is covered at $0. No, really. Everything. You can hard brick your phone, take it in to a repair center, and get a replacement ordered at $0. And that, even without that, it's only $35 a pop. But if you didn't want that, ESRP is available for only $4/month, did you know that? And did you know that covers "almost everything" like I mentioned above?

Did you additionally know that Sprint's pricing for deductibles is rather fair compared to other carriers on the market? For the HTC One X (very similar to the EVO LTE), AT&T will charge you $199. And for the Galaxy SIII (similar pricing), Verizon will charge you $99, and T-Mobile will charge you $130. Did you also know that such deductible pricing is set at an agreement between the carriers and Asurion, the only mobile insurance company worth mentioning?

This man speaks the truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know all that but thanks for the response. My biggest issue is that when the Jelly Bean update comes I want to be able to update the radio and software without much trouble or flashing a new ROM. I had simply wanted to root for the time being but it's not possible. And as for the warranty I had it for years on my OG EVO but when they upped the price I dropped it. And I've seen many people with even manufacturers defects that still had to pay the $150 fee.They try to get that amount for any problem.

I know all that but thanks for the response. My biggest issue is that when the Jelly Bean update comes I want to be able to update the radio and software without much trouble or flashing a new ROM. I had simply wanted to root for the time being but it's not possible. And as for the warranty I had it for years on my OG EVO but when they upped the price I dropped it. And I've seen many people with even manufacturers defects that still had to pay the $150 fee.They try to get that amount for any problem.

I've had a number of phone replaced, mainly radio issues, without having to pay any fees. Including a phone I bought off of eBay.

• Like 1

I've never paid out of pocket for any repairs at Sprint. Heck I went through 7 Samsung Moments, 3 Intercepts, 3 Transforms, 2 Evos, 3 3Ds, 2 Optimus S and never paid anything out of pocket. A few of those were even my fault and I didn't get charged. Every single one was rooted and running a custom ROM when I took them in.

Sent from a phone using an app. That is fancy!

• Like 1

I know all that but thanks for the response. My biggest issue is that when the Jelly Bean update comes I want to be able to update the radio and software without much trouble or flashing a new ROM.

As long as you're on stock recovery, I don't think your hboot version will matter. But I'm not sure.

And as for the warranty I had it for years on my OG EVO but when they upped the price I dropped it.
ESRP is still $4 a month. Only ERP (and thus TEP) were raised, from $5 to $9, and $8 to $11, respectively.

And I've seen many people with even manufacturers defects that still had to pay the $150 fee.They try to get that amount for any problem.

I don't believe that. I've heard it from customers, but people lie. I've had people, whose phones were clearly water damaged, blame the manufacturer or Sprint. It's never their fault, and "damn Sprint charging me money again". I'm a Sprint S&R Tech, and if I open up your phone and it shows signs of water damage (like corrosion or rust or all the LDIs are tripped), it has to be an insurance deductible. If your screen is smashed, it must be a claim. Otherwise, it's $0 and covered, every time.

The terms and conditions of ESRP (Equipment Service and Repair Program, half of TEP) state that it covers all "Mechanical or electrical failure due to defect or normal wear and tear". And that covers everything. The terms and conditions of ESRP, ERP, and TEP are available in the "Protection" brochure you should have been provided, else it is available at no charge at any Sprint store.

The only case I can think of would be if a charging port came disconnected due to manufacturer defect, in which case it's pretty easy: if the board is damaged, it's abuse (and thus must be an insurance claim). If the solder just came undone, covered.

Still, even if your phone is bricked, it's $35 to get a new one from Sprint under ESRP-non-covered. So just... root. And RUU later.

Sounds to me like you are just scared, no offense but all this rooting, updating radios/software etc...... is easy as hell to do. Granted the only prerequisite is being able to read and comprehend, and I am sure you can do that. And when jelly bean rolls out updating to that will be a breeze, so root if you want to root.

• Like 1

You guys just proved my point for me. I know what root is as I've done it to a million phones. And I know what S-OFF to unlock the bootloader. Currently there is no way to root the phone without S-OFF ing it or notifying HTC. Exactly what I said in my first post.

I'm going to say this once more.

You do not need to have an unlocked bootloader to have a rooted phone.

You should read this http://www.pocketables.com/2012/08/the-difference-between-root-s-offon-lockedunlocked-bootloader-in-the-htc-evo-series.html

I've had a number of phone replaced, mainly radio issues, without having to pay any fees. Including a phone I bought off of eBay.

I have also had a number replaced, all HTC EVO 4G's only had to pay a fee once after i was off contract. The all had S-Off. But on that phone it was easy to root S-Off when I did it.