Network Vision/LTE - East Michigan Market (Detroit/Flint/Ann Arbor/Tri-Cities)

ReyBanz

Thanks... Trying to edit and remove that... I see it too... but when I first tried capturing screen shot... it didn't say Sprint nor LTE...   That was my second try...   Thanks again.   Just super excited.. been waiting YEARS!!  LOL

I see it now...reposting.... Any way of telling if it's a "Small Cell"?   Reason is I noticed a new telephone pole accross the street with a small cell on it.  Could have been a T-Mobile, Verizon or Sprint?  Guess it might have  been Sprint's....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by Dkoellerwx

I see it now...reposting.... Any way of telling if it's a "Small Cell"? Reason is I noticed a new telephone pole accross the street with a small cell on it. Could have been a T-Mobile, Verizon or Sprint? Guess it might have been Sprint's....

Impossible to tell without a photo or the site GCI.. but if you were still hanging onto B26 from your last connection (your screenshot has no GCI), I don't believe Sprint has deployed small cells on that band.. at least not yet.

-Mike

• Like 1

I'll try snapping a photo of the site in the next few days.   It's a really new site...   Hope this isn't the only B26 site they are adding in the area... just glad there is actually one nearby now.

Impossible to tell without a photo or the site GCI.. but if you were still hanging onto B26 from your last connection (your screenshot has no GCI), I don't believe Sprint has deployed small cells on that band.. at least not yet.

-Mike

They do exist (Airspan Airharmony and Nokia Flexi Zone Mini Macros) but they aren’t yet widely deployed.

I think there was a small cell in ann arbor by GCI at least. So it may be worth posting pics. Look for something that includes 90XS written on the box. I need to go through my of my logs for that market but can't find the time.

It's raining today... but I will go over there and park and snap a few pics...after work.  There seems to be a metal plaque of some sort pounded into the pole, near the main box midway up.... maybe some sort for site I.D.   I will try to get it and zoom in... don't know how lucky I will be... but going to give it a try.   It was very cool and exciting to finally see an "Sprint LTE 800" display on my phone as we have always been deep in IBEZ zone (I'm approx 25 miles to Canadian Border from where I live.).   Glad to see that is over now.

Edited by dro1984

I am seeing B26 in Birmingham and Novi.

I am also seeing a bizarre level of temporary 30 min to 1 hour long "holes" in the network, like from a single site being down in a fairly sparse area.  I think this is from new equipment being installed.  After the site is back online, performance tends to be poor, which I believe is from new hardware being installed without being adjusted to finality.  Near my girlfriens's house in Howell (M59 & Michigan Ave.) last night around 9 PM, I was unable to connect to anything but Verizon (data free) roam for about 25 minutes.  I cycled airplane mode, rebooted the phone, etc., to no effect.  I've had exactly this with increasing frequency in a few places including near home, starting in the last 2-3 months.

Near home (Orion Township) I now have CDMA 800 from Oxford and Clarkston sites, and the site along Brown Rd between Baldwin and Joslyn (near 75) on the Auburn Hills border, has been visibly updated.  My feeling is about 25% geographical coverage of CDMA 800 in my area.

• Like 1

I'm having the same network "offtime" issues too in Rochester Hills...

I had only 1X for about 20 minutes yesterday?   No LTE no matter what I tried... then boom... 1/2 hour later all back to normal.

Here are the mini site photos...dont know if it's Sprint? It's a very new site. Anybody?dca3dd97835c116a89aaab748b32d860.jpgd7063f4d9c27318363503c3b2d3968c3.jpgc5258846a6927f6f0d44a50504c7ec59.jpg

Edited by dro1984

Well, thanks.. not the answer I was hoping for... bummed it's not Sprint.    Somebody is obviously densifiying their network too then!   I see a few new poles around town with no lamps or utilities  on them yet.... wonder who?   

Well, thanks.. not the answer I was hoping for... bummed it's not Sprint. Somebody is obviously densifiying their network too then! I see a few new poles around town with no lamps or utilities on them yet.... wonder who?

Probably everyone. Small cells look like a solid strategy right now.. most bang for the buck available at the moment.

-Mike

• Like 1

I'm having the same network "offtime" issues too in Rochester Hills...

I had only 1X for about 20 minutes yesterday?   No LTE no matter what I tried... then boom... 1/2 hour later all back to normal.

I was in the Rochester area for quite a while yesterday (16th).  What side of town was this?  What time did it happen?  Is this an area you frequently visit?

I am all over the place as part of my work, so I frequently notice a lot of network "evolution" pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Pretty sure those are Tmobile.

Negative.

Tmobile uses Nokia in the region.

That's a very typical Verizon Ericsson lte small cell node.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Negative.

Tmobile uses Nokia in the region.

That's a very typical Verizon Ericsson lte small cell node.

Interesting.  Verizon speeds suck fluorescently in a couple of areas near me that have those units installed, yet Tmobile's have improved significantly.

Got any pictures or info about Tmobile's small cell setup?

Interesting. Verizon speeds suck fluorescently in a couple of areas near me that have those units installed, yet Tmobile's have improved significantly.

Got any pictures or info about Tmobile's small cell setup?

Nokia flexi zone (same as sprints externally) for your Nokia region.

Tmobile has done a lot of macro cell work with L700 / 1900 /2100 split sectors for capacity in addition to adding new sites.

Also could be atts. I'm unsure what equipment vendor they use in your region but att and Verizon small cell nodes use macro radio heads connected to micro cabinet like such. Majority of them is Verizon which is usually the correct guess.

• Like 1

I was in the Rochester area for quite a while yesterday (16th).  What side of town was this?  What time did it happen?  Is this an area you frequently visit?

I am all over the place as part of my work, so I frequently notice a lot of network "evolution" pretty quickly.

I live 1 mile east of Oakland University.   Walton Blvd, Old Perch Rd, Livernois area....   time was around 5 or 6pm.   Don't remember... but it was a pain with only slow data available....   I just hope you're right, in that, they might be working on towers in the area...   My main tower I always pick up is at Adams and Walton,(1.5 miles) behind the Sprint Store.   That day however, I was on the tower much further away!  (Tienken and Rochester)?? That's about 3-4 miles from my house.   My usual back up tower (also 1.5 miles but don't easily pick up due to hills / terrain) if I even walk 1 block south of my house is on Livernois, between Avon and Hamlin in the Mini Self-storage lot.   Weird stuff going on.   

Edited by dro1984

I live 1 mile east of Oakland University.   Walton Blvd, Old Perch Rd, Livernois area....   time was around 5 or 6pm.   Don't remember... but it was a pain with only slow data available....   I just hope you're right, in that, they might be working on towers in the area...   My main tower I always pick up is at Adams and Walton,(1.5 miles) behind the Sprint Store.   That day however, I was on the tower much further away!  (Tienken and Rochester)?? That's about 3-4 miles from my house.   My usual back up tower (also 1.5 miles but don't easily pick up due to hills / terrain) if I even walk 1 block south of my house is on Livernois, between Avon and Hamlin in the Mini Self-storage lot.   Weird stuff going on.   

Tienken and Rochester is in the back corner of the shopping center, right where Orion Ct. comes into the parking lot from Orion Rd.  It's a really busy looking self-supporting tower, with so much stuff on it that there is cable run on the entire exterior of the structure, in addition to the cabling in the inside.  There's also a site along the south side of the Clinton River Trail that is a narrow but very tall guyed mast tower, which also mounts lots of microwave hardware.  You might actually get a better signal from this site in a lot of places that are much closer to the tower in the shopping center parking lot.

I live off of Baldwin Rd. just north of the donut at Indianwood.  My normal site is next to the Odyssey Industries factory on Indianwood, but I have been picking up the site on Oxford Rd. next to the storage complex and sort of behind the Meijer store on M24.  I have been picking up 800MHz CDMA from that site frequently over the last few months, though am grabbing 1x 1900 from there at curiously strong signal levels (between -96 and -91).  I also get the site on Seymour Lake every now and then.  Despite being less than a mile from the site on Indianwood, my signal levels from that site are pretty bad lately, almost never exceeding -95 in my house.

• Like 1

Yeah, believe it or not, I'm not sure the site in Downtown Rochester along the Clinton River Trail is actually a Sprint site?  I hope it is as it's a huge massive tower!   I wonder because sometimes I can be at the Irish pub along Main... just barely a 1/4 mile away and I won't pick it up!   Odd.    When in town, I usually get the Tienken and Main site.    At my house I get Adams and Walton (usually) ... even though the tower at Livernois, north of Hamlin is about equal, or slightly closer.   The only thing I can attribute it to is the hilly terrain in the area.

By the way, that mini site on the pole is at Rochester College (Michigan Christian College) across from the Home Depot on  Avon Road.  That site looks to be about 1 month old or less.    

Edited by dro1984

I'm really hoping for some fast movement here. Would like to get a new Galaxy S3 sooner rather than later. :)

There are no new Galaxy S3s.  It's a four to five year old device.

Great model in most ways, though.  SVDO is very impressive.

Yeah, believe it or not, I'm not sure the site in Downtown Rochester along the Clinton River Trail is actually a Sprint site? I hope it is as it's a huge massive tower! I wonder because sometimes I can be at the Irish pub along Main... just barely a 1/4 mile away and I won't pick it up! Odd. When in town, I usually get the Tienken and Main site. At my house I get Adams and Walton (usually) ... even though the tower at Livernois, north of Hamlin is about equal, or slightly closer. The only thing I can attribute it to is the hilly terrain in the area.

By the way, that mini site on the pole is at Rochester College (Michigan Christian College) across from the Home Depot on Avon Road. That site looks to be about 1 month old or less.

It has a Sprint site on it.

A good friend of mine owns a restaurant there at forth and main and I noticed I get extremely strong (better than -90) LTE on 2500 when I am in his office. The office is in the back of the building and has a large window facing right toward that tower. I have actually personally examined this site and can guarantee with zero doubt that it is a Sprint site, in fact, I was one (the one or one of the ones) who submitted it here as being a conversion in progress a couple of years ago. Site ID on the electric meter is SPRINT PCS DE60XC067. If you're a sponsor, you should be able to look that up on the map. I'm on my phone now, so I can't do it easily. I guess it's possible that it's retired, but the full S4GRU map won't load without crashing my browser here.

• Like 2