Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

No NV panels on that tower yet. I'm not familiar with the cabinets, so can't answer that question.

Watch the top rack for new equipment NV hits.

Ok then, like I said I'll keep an eye on it. They have another not that far from here I will try to check on too. Its located on a local telephone company's property so I dont know how close I can get but I will try.

Pre-NV Sprint always has two panels per side, and, at least around here, they're rounded panels instead of flat. That's what I go off of, usually works. I can always pick out AT&T because they have a short-tall-short pattern to the panels.

Yeah, I see what you are talking about and it also matches up with another tower I saw today. I have seen some around here that have one panel per side, but those are due to the tower mounting only having one spot available on each side. This site is an outer edge site with only two carriers, one for 1X and one for EVDO. Outer edge as in if you go north of it, you fall off the network.

Alrighty.Recon done over the last week.Here we go!!!

Confirmed visually and I spoke to the crew who also confirmed they were installing the NV equipment.

This tower is located on Ave A in Westwego,off the expressway.

20121009_172212.jpg

20121009_172128.jpg

20121009_172107.jpg

The pics above show the NV gear on the top rack.

The next pics I suppose are all "before" pictures since it appears nothing has been done LOL

2 Fairfield in Gretna

NL72XC0172.jpg

NL72XC0173.jpg

NL72XC0171.jpg

Panels on top of Paychex building by Oakwood Mall

NL57XC6612.jpg

NL57XC6611.jpg

Tower on Lapalco Blvd,between Helen Cox High and Manhattan Blvd

NL54XC6743.jpg

NL54XC6741.jpg

Tower located on Ames at Lapalco by the old Kmart.This location has what looks like a brand new cabinet,but its massive and doesnt look like any NV gear Ive seen.

NL13XC5112.jpg

NL13XC5114.jpg

NL13XC5111.jpg

Tower behind old Circuit City on Manhattan Blvd

NL13XC5031.jpg

NL13XC5032.jpg

Tower on Commerce towards Bellemeade North between Belle Chasse Hwy and Lapalco

NL03XC3136.jpg

NL03XC3135.jpg

So there are a few of the sites Ive had a chance to go by over the last two days.I have a list of about 9 more to hit in the coming days.Hope you all enjoy the pics,even though most of them show nothing going on LOL.

• Like 4

Damn wondering how long since its been installed. They Gotta get to the east bank.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Since whats been installed?The westwego site? If so,that stuff just started going up Tuesday.

Went by a site that was supposed to have work done last week. Nuttin.... Kinda curious to see how they do this one since there isn't another spot on the mount for the NV panel. Looks like AT&T is on the top and Sprint is on the bottom. Not sure about the middle.

NL03ME067.JPG

Went by another site today with a somewhat real camera ;) The schedule slippage/flippage continues in this area. I have one more tower to check but I'm pretty sure this market got split and Baton Rouge got sent to the third round market slot. Given the track record and how things usually happen in this market it does not surprise me.

Shot of one tower I pass by for reference. I didn't expect work here yet. I've always thought the Sprint rack wasn't mounted straight. It leans to the left. I got a good laugh out of the little plate tied to the side of the tower.

These are the full Resolution pictures, you may want to save them to your PC to look at them closely.

NL03ME029.JPG

Figured this would have work here by now. Nothing here. Kinda looks like a NV panel w/RRU at the top but I'm pretty sure that is AT&T. There's not enough connection on the panel and looks like other AT&T panels I've seen. Not sure where Sprint is here..thinking the second from the top. Never seen them use the RF fins here. The bottom two racks have 2 different panels on each rack so that's definitely not Sprint (Synergy co-lo project never made it here) plus they have too much downtilt.

NL03ME070_BOTTOM1.JPG

NL03ME070_BOTTOM2.JPGNL03ME070_FULL2.JPGNL03ME070_RACK1_B.JPGNL03ME070_RACK2_A.JPGNL03ME070_RACK2_B.JPGNL03ME070_RACK3.JPGNL03ME070_RACK4_A.JPGNL03ME070_RACK4_B.JPGNL03ME070_TOP1.JPGNL03ME070_TOP2.JPG

Yea,I havent been able to go hunting.Works been kicking my butt along with a cold.About the only thing to report is that tower by my house,the trailer that they crew had that was gone for a few days was back and left locked up on site over the weekend.Now that the panels are up,theres not a whole lot to look for there.Nothing at the Manhattan site yet either.Getting eHRPD at work,im between the fairfield and manhattan sites, but still getting EVDO RevA at the house with the new gear.Ran a speed test yesterday about 2PM at home by the new site and got 2093kbps down and 170kbps with a ping of 153ms.By far the fastest 3g ive ever seen on the westbank,so it looks like the backhaul is in place at the westwego site.

Ill try to go hunting in the next few days,even though I dont think theres much to see.

As far as no room on your tower,they could put the NV gear in the middle of that T bracket rig,if sprint is indeed on the bottom rack.

If the bracket is rated to hold that amount of weight.

Thanks for the report and that's weird that you don't get eHRPD everywhere as I've seen it across the entire city here. Speeds look great which probably means they have the 3G portion fired up as they aren't going to hook up the new backhaul to the old equipment, when the old equipment is about to be removed. It's not even in the same box, so it's not like they can just plug in a patch cord and call it a day.

I went by another site on my home. Nothing changed there. Think I'm shooting 5 for 5 now. So the schedule was definitely moved out in this area. Hopefully they will start towards the beginning of next year. The only positive thing is they did have us on the list of LTE by the end of the year. But if they haven't started by now, I just don't see them getting it online within 2 months with holidays and such. Unfortunately my doubt is growing larger by the day.

Interesting Sprint site here as it's a single panel per sector site. We have several around here like this. I had one parking lot I could park in to get a better picture but I would have been shooting directly into the sun. I'll have to go at a different time of day.

NL03ME040.JPG

If the bracket is rated to hold that amount of weight.

Thanks for the report and that's weird that you don't get eHRPD everywhere as I've seen it across the entire city here. Speeds look great which probably means they have the 3G portion fired up as they aren't going to hook up the new backhaul to the old equipment, when the old equipment is about to be removed. It's not even in the same box, so it's not like they can just plug in a patch cord and call it a day.

I went by another site on my home. Nothing changed there. Think I'm shooting 5 for 5 now. So the schedule was definitely moved out in this area. Hopefully they will start towards the beginning of next year. The only positive thing is they did have us on the list of LTE by the end of the year. But if they haven't started by now, I just don't see them getting it online within 2 months with holidays and such. Unfortunately my doubt is growing larger by the day.

Interesting Sprint site here as it's a single panel per sector site. We have several around here like this. I had one parking lot I could park in to get a better picture but I would have been shooting directly into the sun. I'll have to go at a different time of day.

NL03ME040.JPG

I'm assuming there's no EVDO from this site? 1x only, thus the one panel?

I'm assuming there's no EVDO from this site? 1x only, thus the one panel?

Nope. We got Evdo signals back in 2010. Before that we were on Alltel Evdo. You didn't know it though as it was listed as native evdo and didn't count on roaming.

I haven't seen anything faster than 200 to 300 from this site since evdo launched. Most of the time slower. I believe they just threw things in as they were in a hurry to get us off Alltel before the Evo launched and vzw converted the network over. Kind hits home when the network operations guys is chuckling on the phone about the single T1s put on all the evdo sites. I am sure you combine this with the poor tower spacing and it just creates an air interface nightmare with lots of poor signal phones trying to use the carrier.

Now you realize why I can't wait for NV. Not so much the 4g, since it will be spotty anyways due to the spacing, kinda like the wimax in some cities. I am looking forward to the 800 1xa enhanced coverage, improved evdo signal strength and backhaul the most. Being able to use 4g in some places will just be icing on the cake. That's if they fix the evo lte issue by then otherwise we probably won't see lte much.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Also the other picture where it looks like the rack is leaning is also a single panel per sector. Speeds are great there. I can hit 2000+ in the morning. I attest that to being a somewhat rural/suburban site and the people in that area do not have Sprint since Sprint did not build out their network to meet the growth of the city like the other carriers did.

Are you aware of any work on the tower behind the Post Office on Bluebonnet, or anywhere along the Perkins Road corridor? Or where on the tower Sprint is located? If the PO tower were to fall in my direction it would just about hit my office.

I find it abit amusing that that right behind the Sprint store on Bluebonnet is a tower, which I assumed was Sprint's until one day I asked them about it. It seems to be a Verizon one.

Are you aware of any work on the tower behind the Post Office on Bluebonnet, or anywhere along the Perkins Road corridor? Or where on the tower Sprint is located? If the PO tower were to fall in my direction it would just about hit my office.

I find it abit amusing that that right behind the Sprint store on Bluebonnet is a tower, which I assumed was Sprint's until one day I asked them about it. It seems to be a Verizon one.

No I haven't been to that side of town in a while. If you see something please let us know.

Yes that telephone pole tower is Alltel. And of course it is Verizon now.

Take some pictures if you can and post them.

First post on this board. Just wanted to say I really appreciate all of the information and knowledgable posts.

Also wanted to add that after reading this thread....it feels all too much like the WIMAX situation for New Orleans area. Extremely dissapointing to see that we appear to be well behind schedule with not much activity.

• Like 1

It may seem to be behind, but it will not end up like WiMax. NV is active in the NOLA market, and Sprint will upgrade it's entire network in the next year and a half, especially with the new help from SoftBank.

I would agree with the above poster if it wasn't for ktulu's pictures. He gave me a glimmer of hope that Ericsson is near. The idea of New Orleans being a totally different market than Baton Rouge does bring me down a bit.. Just the way it has been for years even though we are technically in the same market. Sprint sold off more spectrum here and not in NOLA, new towers even in rural areas etc.

But never the less its nothing like wimax at all. I think that it is just being delayed by about 6 months or so. I still hold out hope.

Drove by a site that was supposed to start at the beginning of September. Nothing yet. I'm optimistic that I will see something there before the end of October.

Found some job postings for dealing with network vision in December in Baton Rouge. We might see our first completes then.

Drove by a site that was supposed to start at the beginning of September. Nothing yet. I'm optimistic that I will see something there before the end of October.

Went by the Sherwood/Florida site today. Nadda... I did check several others on my trek around town to make sure they didn't flip around to some other towers. Nothing changed. I'd say we were definitely pushed back to 3rd round market. Looks like Sprint's PR dept will need to post a retraction on LTE here before the end of the year.

• Like 1

Westwego tower still being worked on. Truck was there this morning. Almost a month now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the update. Only tower I have heard/seen work on in the market.