Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

I was in a sprint store the other day and a rep said that they are hearing we should have LTE by the Superbowl and that wouldn't surprise me. We unofficially have some Wimax here in a very small area now. It's just confined to pretty much the popular tourist areas. With upgrades supposedly starting here this month and New Orleans being touted as one of the next major markets that will be getting LTE, I was wondering if we might see it a little sooner, and will a decent area be covered like on the westbank or up to Baton Rouge which is part of the market. I hope they don't just call it launched when the only areas that will have LTE is around the Superdome and the French Quarter for the superbowl tourists.

I was in a sprint store the other day and a rep said that they are hearing we should have LTE by the Superbowl and that wouldn't surprise me. We unofficially have some Wimax here in a very small area now. It's just confined to pretty much the popular tourist areas. With upgrades supposedly starting here this month and New Orleans being touted as one of the next major markets that will be getting LTE, I was wondering if we might see it a little sooner, and will a decent area be covered like on the westbank or up to Baton Rouge which is part of the market. I hope they don't just call it launched when the only areas that will have LTE is around the Superdome and the French Quarter for the superbowl tourists.

Does it matter when they call it launched? It is just a milestone. Deployment starts when it starts and ends when it ends. Picking a day during that time period to call it launched is pretty meaningless. However, the only thing about launching that is important is that they stop blocking LTE connections on sites completed.

So in my mind, I would rather them launch as soon as possible, if it means that the sites completed can start being used.

Additionally, they will not target only certain areas and leave the rest of the market alone. They will be deploying over the whole market in waves. And all the sites in the market will be converted.

Robert

• Like 1

Does it matter when they call it launched? It is just a milestone. Deployment starts when it starts and ends when it ends. Picking a day during that time period to call it launched is pretty meaningless. However, the only thing about launching that is important is that they stop blocking LTE connections on sites completed.

No not really, I was glad for the little piece of Wimax that we had when I had the original EVO even though it wasn't announced I was mainly just hoping that I would actually see LTE where I actually live sooner rather than later.

So in my mind, I would rather them launch as soon as possible, if it means that the sites completed can start being used.

Me too, Really wouldn't matter if they ever announced that the tower closest to my house was upgraded to LTE. I would still be a happy camper to look at my phone and see it on.

Additionally, they will not target only certain areas and leave the rest of the market alone. They will be deploying over the whole market in waves. And all the sites in the market will be converted.

Robert

Great news, any ideas how New Orleans is doing schedule wise. I know everyone wants to be next, but it does kind of suck when Verizon has had LTE here for over a year and At&t for a while too. On top of us being one of the biggest markets left out of Wimax. I'm not going anywhere for while anyway. I just upgrade to a GS3 with sprint so I was just hoping for the best.

Great news, any ideas how New Orleans is doing schedule wise. I know everyone wants to be next, but it does kind of suck when Verizon had LTE for over a year and At&t for a while too. On top of us being one of the biggest markets left out of Wimax. I'm not going anywhere for while anyway. I just upgrade to a SG3 with sprint so I'm was just hoping for the best.

Work has started. We are just awaiting for a field verification from one of our eagle eyed S4GRU members down there.

Robert

And the Wimax has been there for quite a while. Those are protection sites.

Let us know if you see any work on the towers there. Take some pictures if you can.

When I see a tower I can't even tell if it's a cell tower or something else, lol. I've seen maps with sprint towers, but I have never actually tried to find them. I will probably see what I can find this weekend. Any suggestions or specifics I should be looking for.

The one that is circled is the new NV Panel as you can see its bigger then ones next to it which are smaller then the new ones and the new cabnets should like the one next to the towers, thats what you want to try to find when your looking

gallery_1_2_24918.jpg

There are many pictures of the rru equipment on the towers and the panels in other threads around here.

The workers, possible cranes, tag lines hanging down are hard to miss too.

Cell towers are easy to spot.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Ehrpd showed up this morning in Baton Rouge.

Erma gurd! Youda get der ehrpeeduhr!

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Ehrpd showed up this morning in Baton Rouge.

Good to hear, although my phone is doing the thing where it keeps bouncing from EVDO Channels 75 and 100, never locking on. So I have no data unless I force roam.

Good to hear, although my phone is doing the thing where it keeps bouncing from EVDO Channels 75 and 100, never locking on. So I have no data unless I force roam.

I have been seeing this issue as well downtown. You'll see it try 75 but then it gives up and switches to 100. Then 100 is absolutely horrible and you might as well use 1X or roaming. Sometimes I pull my phone out and I notice the 3G icon is missing, and that kills the battery apparently. I end up having to reboot to fix it.

Sitting on CH 100 off the downtown tower right now: 514ms ping, 350 down/390 up. Not too bad, but the morning is still early for some.

Apparently I have ehrpd in new Orleans. ugy6ejyg.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

What area? I had an interesting issue yesterday where all of a sudden I could not send or receive texts. Phone support sent me to the store which then looked at my phone for an hour and a half and said they couldn't figure it out then back to phone support which sent a refresh signal that got me working again. Probably one has nothing to do with the other as 3g and Voice were basically still working.

I'm not sure where to find the network settings in my Nexus S 4G, but I was having serious problems yesterday with my signal. I work in NOLA CBD interior building. Signal is usually bad. Yesterday was horrible. But today, today is glorious (well, almost).

I was walking down Poydras last night and I couldn't even get a YouTube song to not skip every 3 seconds. Perhaps it was the problem jumping between channels?? I had to reboot several times yesterday, but today, things are much better overall. Less lagginess in the phone, text messages that arrive on time at my desk, etc.

My first thought was, did this phone just switch to 800 mhz? Then I thought, well, maybe this is Network Vision being phased in. But really, I have no idea. Other than the fact that my signal is much improved (not great, but noticeably better) inside a CBD high rise.

Anyone know where I need to look to see if I'm on eHRPD now, or to see what frequency my signals are running on? I can't seem to find it. Maybe the phone needs rooting for that?

I'm an S4GRU lurker normally.

I don't know if the nexus s 4g can connect to eHRPD.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It can't. Only LTE devices.

Robert

Ehrpd data in Baton Rouge is now gone.

I drove to two towers that were supposed to have work started on them already. Ghost town site with no visual changes at the base station or on the tower itself.