Network Vision/LTE - Tampa Market

Feech

And after a airplane mode cycle and toggle from CDMA to LTE my phone is still showing I am in Ehrpd..I'm hesitant to post it in the Market forum because of how suspect I am of this phone..

Very typical of any carrier phone to have issues at large events. I had the same issue during an LSU game on Sprint and VZW roaming with EVDO. I was able to get a bit of data by forcing 1X only. Texting worked fine too. AT&T was dead in the water on voice, data, and texting.

Wow, great work bro! That doesn't look like a stock ROM though. I'm really depressed with how fast the South Florida Network Vision updates are coming... or I should say aren't coming... Lol, maybe the birds and rain were just too much for Sprint to handle. Considering my area in central Broward doesn't have any eHRPD anywhere I think we have a long way to go in Broward yet. :(

Where in Broward County are you exactly located? I am in the Plantation / Sunrise area and I have had eHRPD since yesterday. They are actively working on sites between Broward and Miami Dade. My brother actually spoke with one of the contractors that came by his shop to have his work vehicle serviced. This Gentleman was coming all the way from South Carolina. He basically said that they were working in both the Miami and Fort Lauderdale area. He mentioned that they were constantly back and forth between the two areas in an almost zig zag type of pattern.

Very typical of any carrier phone to have issues at large events. I had the same issue during an LSU game on Sprint and VZW roaming with EVDO. I was able to get a bit of data by forcing 1X only. Texting worked fine too. AT&T was dead in the water on voice, data, and texting.

No events over here today except youth football

So if anyone caught my Tropicana Field run today I found Ehrpd as expected according to Roberts map update a few weeks ago but did not connect to 4G LTE. What was not expected though was for me to find the connection held from The Trop all the way back to my house. After trying to determine what tower I was connected to I went for a ride and was able to continue to connect after a brief period where I disconnected and went to 1X.

What I found though was once it had the connection it never seemed to connect, the message in the network state just said connecting. On the way back I had to pass by a Sprint store so I stopped in to maybe see if I could speak with one of the techs and see if that had been an issue they were familiar with. While waiting it occurred to me that I had a whole bunch of LTE handsets in front of me and grabbed the SG3 and sure enough it was connected to Ehrpd too, untainted by my earlier connection at the Trop which is what I thought was causing me to still see it at my house. I did talk to a tech in the store and he was familiar with what I was talking about and confirmed Ericson was in the area doing work and the guy stops in the store about once a month to touch bases..If anyone wants I will post map pic of where I am in relation to the tower just let me know..

As a side note I sort of feel dumb. I'm not sure how long I have been sitting on this knowledge and had no idea. The EVO LTE is really a piece of work and I hope they get around to actually updating it to fix the radio issue with connectivity. There is so much you have to do to get the damn thing to see Ehrpd power cycling the handset, airplane mode, disconnecting data, toggle CDMA, what a pain. Unless you were on this site I'm not sure how the average person would ever be able to use LTE with this phone

I had the same issue yesterday when eHRPD appeared in my market. I was at the Sprint Call Center in Albuquerque looking to see if I could find LTE there like the one in Denver. That's when I noticed I was connected to eHRPD. I assumed it was just at the Call Center.

However, I stayed connected to eHRPD at the first site and the next and the next. All the way home, 90 miles away. And checked all my LTE devices at home and they were on eHRPD. It makes me wonder how long it actually has been on.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Actually Robert you were the reason I actually thought it was possible because I read that post. The funny thing though and the Sprint guy couldn't explain it is that some of my data dependant apps worked and others did not. For example, I couldn't run a speed test but I could surf the web..

Actually Robert you were the reason I actually thought it was possible because I read that post. The funny thing though and the Sprint guy couldn't explain it is that some of my data dependant apps worked and others did not. For example, I couldn't run a speed test but I could surf the web..

Now that is odd. I have yet to find any of the apps that I use that performed any different on eHRPD. I have no answer for that.

Robert

I had the same issue yesterday when eHRPD appeared in my market. I was at the Sprint Call Center in Albuquerque looking to see if I could find LTE there like the one in Denver. That's when I noticed I was connected to eHRPD. I assumed it was just at the Call Center.

However, I stayed connected to eHRPD at the first site and the next and the next. All the way home, 90 miles away. And checked all my LTE devices at home and they were on eHRPD. It makes me wonder how long it actually has been on.

Ok, so here is what happened with me today. I live in Riverview, FL (just south of Brandon), and I commute to Tampa Intl Airport. I am on the road early, so on my way in, using my Galaxy S3, I switched between OpenSignal and RF Signal Tracker and had EvDo-rev A all the way in on all the sites I crossed (my trek is about 30 miles).

My phone on the way in to work this morning was running build number IMM76DL710VPALG8. After arriving to work this morning I received a notification of a system update for my phone was available. I installed it. My build now went to IMM76DL710VPALI3.

On my return home just moments ago, all of the sites on the way home reported as eHRPD. When I got home I checked my wife's phone, which is the same, and she had not received the update yet. When I went into the About Device and Status, her phone showed our cell which we are connected to as EvDo-revA:8 and mine shows it as eHRPD:13.

I thought it was odd as I started jotting down cell IDs that all of them were now showing eHRPD. Strange, but all the ones on my way home, in areas that show as going to receive 4G LTE, show as eHRPD.

I ran a couple of speed tests on both phones. The phone without the update had speeds of 799 down / 472 up, the one with the update did 1311 down and 370 on the up on the first run. I did another test (same stationary location) with the one without the update was 1112 down and 278 up with the one with the update showing 1122 down and 289 up. After running more they both seemed fairly close, with the only difference being the type of network showing based on the two different system updates.

Not sure what to make of it, but that's the story from the Tampa area from me today.

Lastly, I do want to mention that I go to ATL on occasion and have enjoyed 4G LTE on my phone there, and am usually disappointed when I arrive home. I'm awaiting the first Sensorly dot to show up in Florida.

-Russ

• Like 1

Its funny how it seems that all of this is happening at one time. I know that route from Riverview to TPA add to that my experience yesterday from Tropicana Field to the Tyrone Blvd area, then to Seminole, and today all the way to Central Ave and 1st Ave. It going down fast thats for sure. If you take our experience and throw in some other comments on this site from Jacksonville, Orlando, and the Miami area it sure seems like Florida may all come on line at once.

The new update doesn't "enable" eHRPD. I noticed my wife's S3 was on EVDO RevA and my EVO LTE was on eHRPD. So I did the EVO LTE toggle LTE/CDMA dance on her phone and it picked right up.

You're correct about the fact that her phone wasn't set for CDMA/LTE like mine was... so, when I fired hers back up, I expected the same results as mine... however, that was not the case. I am looking on OpenSignal and her network status and she still shows the same cells that I am connecting to as EVDO A. Now I am not surprised at this because as I said, on my way to work this morning, with my phone and the old update, all sites showed as EVDO. However, on my way home, after performing the latest OTA update, every single cell on my way home showed up as eHRPD. I thought that was odd, that they'd all be different on the way home then they were early this morning showing as EVDO.

What I am expecting now is that she will get the OTA update soon and I suspect she too will see ALL of the sites nearby as showing as eHRPD. I'm not saying the OTA has anything to do with making the phone work as eHRPD, I'm just saying that is the way they are displaying after the OTA. I tried to force a firmware update on her phone, but it says there is no update available. She usually gets her updates a day or so after me... that will be the telling sign.

-Russ

It is just a software change on the backend. Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I asked this in another thread but didn't get an answer.. Is the software change something that is done at the Site or something they push to the sites remotely

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

After you do an update, it did a channel scan and connected to eHRPD. Timing was just coincidence. When we went to eHRPD in our market on Friday, my wife's EVO did not go automatically. I just cycled through airplane mode, and it went to eHRPD.

However, if I had updated a PRL, it would have gone to eHRPD too. Or rebooted. Or turned off mobile data and turned back on, Or updated profile. Or updated firmware. Anything that would cause your device to turn off your data connection and rescan would have resulted in discovering eHRPD. Just a coincidence.

Robert

After you do an update, it did a channel scan and connected to eHRPD. Timing was just coincidence. When we went to eHRPD in our market on Friday, my wife's EVO did not go automatically. I just cycled through airplane mode, and it went to eHRPD.

However, if I had updated a PRL, it would have gone to eHRPD too. Or rebooted. Or turned off mobile data and turned back on, Or updated profile. Or updated firmware. Anything that would cause your device to turn off your data connection and rescan would have resulted in discovering eHRPD. Just a coincidence.

Robert

Right on Robert. I went back to her phone, set it back to CDMA, then back to CDMA/LTE. Went to Airplane Mode as well. Was able to get it to now see cells near me as eHRPD and she has not received the update yet. The update reboot on my phone must have made it discover the eHRPD and as you said, just a coincidence. Looks like the Tampa Bay area is in eHRPD. A good sign maybe?

• Like 1

A good sign maybe?

Definitely a move in the right direction. eHRPD is needed for LTE to handoff to 3G seamlessly. However, its arrival is not necessarily imminence that LTE is very soon.

Robert

Anyone see anything in the last week? We have to have some upgrades going on by now.

I know there are some folks who have St. Pete covered, but I watch constantly for tower activity on my way home from Tampa Intl Airport to Riverview. I have a great view of towers from the upper deck of the crosstown out a good distance. I have seen no activity and none at the airport site either.

Anyone see anything in the last week? We have to have some upgrades going on by now.

Nothing except my report from Tropicana Field this pass weekend..Did you get eHRPD yet Spence? I know Wildman did based on his post

Nothing except my report from Tropicana Field this pass weekend..Did you get eHRPD yet Spence? I know Wildman did based on his post

Haven't noticed it yet. Will my EVO 3D even pick up eHRPD or will it always just be Rev. A for me?

Haven't noticed it yet. Will my EVO 3D even pick up eHRPD or will it always just be Rev. A for me?

Nope. Only LTE devices will detect eHRPD.