Evo LTE serious problems or bull?

gangrene

There has been opinions from both sides but the consensus is that the EVO currently is not on par with the GS3 and iPhone when attempting to latch on to LTE in a covered area and continue to hold it as you move about.

You can however switch to LTE only mode and detect and hold the signal better. So it looks to be a software issue and hopefully HTC will have this fixed asap.

• Like 1

Mine works just fine,,,. I'll go from strong lte signal to weak, to 3g and back to strong signal flawlessly. I have a tower in my neighborhood and have tested every day for the past week driving to and away from the tower.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

• Like 1

I have a white EVO LTE, and before that used a Galaxy S3 for a month before giving it to my brother. Reading the forums I'm concerned, but I've seen instances where my Evo picks up LTE before the Galaxy, and sometimes the reverse where the Galaxy picks it up first. In my usage it hasnt' been a noticeable problem. I've also glanced at my phone while driving on the freeways in Houston and sometimes I see it on LTE, same as the Galaxy. I also have been to San Antonio and saw the EVO switch to LTE for a decent amount of time driving on the free ways (leaving downtown on I-37, and hitting I-10 to go back to Houston).

I haven't done extensive testing between the two phones, but I haven't noticed a problem either. Having said that, I am concerned that so many people have tested the EVO side by side with other phones and are running into issues.

i just had to turn my phone to lte only to pick up the lte. signal is strong and holds further then it would in regular mode. looks like its jist a software/firmware issue that i hope they resolve soon. looks like the phone sees both the 3g and 4g lte and would just prefer to connect to the 3g

• Like 1

In my extensive LTE testing, I never once had the EVO LTE connect to LTE before the GNex, Viper or GS3 on its own. It was always last. And rarely would get it on its own without cycling unless waiting for it to with a strong signal present.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I am curious what the assessment of IPhone 5 LTE connectivity is for those of you in the early LTE launch markets such as Houston, KC, Dallas, Baltimore (I presume that these have the most robust coverage) that have been playing with your iPhone 5 since last weekend. Does it seem to pick up as well as hold an LTE connection well?

HTC EVO seems to have challenging software issues (which should be fixable) -- does anyone know hether the HTC One X is having similar issues on Verizon LTE or on AT&T's LTE? Trying to figure out whether HTC simply wont play nice with Sprint's LTE (at 1900mhz) or simply won't play nice at all with any LTE even at 700mhz

What was the name of the app in the market to force it on LTE only? I know about the code. Just wondering about the other way

Sent From EVO LTE

I went to app store,, pulled up search bar, typed lte switch and I have it. Called 4g switch

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

Mine works just fine,,,. I'll go from strong lte signal to weak, to 3g and back to strong signal flawlessly. I have a tower in my neighborhood and have tested every day for the past week driving to and away from the tower.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

You think it works good until you see the real network when compared to a S3 or other LTE device. I thought the same as you until I had an S3 next to me in Houston for the day and we went to several different locations on that trip. The EVOs, and one was bone stock, would take the LTE cycle dance to connect. We eventually stopped doing it and just asked the S3 user how the lte was when we went to a new location. Kinda sad.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 5

You think it works good until you see the real network when compared to a S3 or other LTE device. I thought the same as you until I had an S3 next to me in Houston for the day and we went to several different locations on that trip. The EVOs, and one was bone stock, would take the LTE cycle dance to connect. We eventually stopped doing it and just asked the S3 user how the lte was when we went to a new location. Kinda sad.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

like I said mine doesn't no cycle dance, no waiting,, every connects flawlessly. I don't think this, I know this. And I have done it side by side with an S3 and a galaxy nexus. because my wife and one of my daughters were in the car with me tonight and they have them phones.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

like I said mine doesn't no cycle dance, no waiting,, every connects flawlessly. I don't think this, I know this. And I have done it side by side with an S3 and a galaxy nexus. because my wife and one of my daughters were in the car with me tonight and they have them phones. EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

You seem to have the only flawless EVO LTE. What you are describing is not characteristic of the EVO LTE in all my usage and device testing, nor what I have read from 100's of others have posted. Be thankful that you got the good one.

This problem existed before the EVO LTE even released. We have been discussing this for a long, long time. Sprint even knew about this before it left lab testing. Sprint even admits there is a problem.

Robert

EDIT: Here is an old thread where I referenced it back before the EVO LTE released: http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__16497

And a subsequent article: http://s4gru.com/ind...on-as-may-15th/

• Like 2

You seem to have the only flawless EVO LTE. What you are describing is not characteristic of the EVO LTE in all my usage and device testing, nor what I have read from 100's of others have posted. Be thankful that you got the good one.

This problem existed before the EVO LTE even released. We have been discussing this for a long, long time. Sprint even knew about this before it left lab testing. Sprint even admits there is a problem.

Robert

EDIT: Here is an old thread where I referenced it back before the EVO LTE released: http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__16497

And a subsequent article: http://s4gru.com/ind...on-as-may-15th/

I'm not denying that in general there may be in issue. Just taking about mine. Now I have a white one that came out later,, could this because the reason?

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

I'm not denying that in general there may be in issue. Just taking about mine. Now I have a white one that came out later,, could this because the reason?

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

It may possibly be. However, the issue seems to be software related and not hardware related.

Robert

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

Hey Zman can you go into about settings and let us know hardware version and software info? A screenshot would be better thanks. Perhaps you have a version 4 phone as all of us have version 3? Thanks

5th

Yes, please share how we can make our phones like yours. There are many of us in this thread as well: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1905007

I doubt it is a white one/black one thing as the hardware and software is the same. I fully believe it's a "I don't have anything to compare it to type thing."

As I've said in the other thread, "I am well aware though that there will be goof balls that have to come strut their stuff. They will defend their broken phone to the bitter end since their purchase was the best one and all other phones must suck. Just have to ignore those as this problem is very real and has been confirmed by many people."

I fully believe it's a "I don't have anything to compare it to type thing."

I will say that the LTE connectivity issues don't seem to be a problem on the EVO LTE until you use LTE side by side on it with other Sprint LTE devices (as both you and I have done, and many others in these forums). That is when the EVO LTE connectivity issues become apparent.

Otherwise, EVO LTE users are blissfully ignorant that there is a problem. They probably just figure that LTE is not yet deployed in their area, or when it connects automatically in one spot, but doesn't in the same spot the next day, they must think that Sprint must be testing service.

As most of you know, I don't know how many times (100's?) I have had to reason with EVO LTE customers who are mad that LTE is not working in their neighborhood, even though it is shown on S4GRU Maps and Sprint coverage maps. They think Sprint is just lying, when in reality, they just couldn't connect to it.

Robert

• Like 7

Oh man,, lol. All I have said is, since lte lit up in my area last week I'm in lte until I drive out of their area. When I drive out it turns to 3g,, when I drive back in it turns back to 4g. If this is me defending a broken phone lol then so be it.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

• Like 1

Oh man,, lol. All I have said is, since lte lit up in my area last week I'm in lte until I drive out of their area. When I drive out it turns to 3g,, when I drive back in it turns back to 4g. If this is me defending a broken phone lol then so be it.

EVO-LUTION 4G LTE

You may actually have even more 4g coverage than you think. I have a gnex and evo and I have been very vocal about this issue since June. The bottom line is that when the lte signal gets weak, the evo will switch to the stronger 3g signal versus staying with the weaker 4g signal even though the weaker 4g signal will still give much faster speeds. Once the 4g signal strengthens then it will reconnect just fine which is what you are experiencing. If all you have is an evo then you would think that this is normal and that would be fine but once you use a different phone then you would be able to tell the difference. For example when the tower next to my house got upgraded in june I was rocking lte for a few days. Once I got to about 1.5 miles from that tower then my evo would switch back to 3g, if the evo was the only phone I had then I would assume that I am simply just out of range. My gnex on the other hand would continue to maintain that same 4g signal for an additional mile down the road before it dropped off. I could duplicate these results a thousand times driving towards or away from the tower, On the drive back my gnex would connect about 2.5 miles out while my evo stayed on 3g then about 1.5 miles out my evo would connect. So basically from that one tower my evo had an effective 4g range of about 2.25 square miles and my gnex had an effective 4g range of about 6.25 square miles, thats a huge difference. This is a software issue that needs to be corrected.

• Like 2

The problem is what if its not a software issue like we all think? What if its hardware and 6 months down the line when the phone is out of warranty LTE is out there enough for people to actually see the problem? What recourse will we have then?