Network Vision/LTE - San Diego Market

ferhusky

How's service in SD now compared to summer 2014? Looking at coming back to Sprint for a lower bill. Had terrible servic over South San Diego, East county and mission valley before.

B41 is widespread.  Site density on B41/B25 is not great so many indoor locations still dropping to 3G.  Overall I can say it's much improved since 2014, but don't expect LTE indoor coverage as good as Verizon anytime soon.  Speeds are great if you can get B41.  I can pull average 50Mbps+ on B41 LTE Plus in Mission Valley.  My Samsung S7E and Note 5 can hold LTE much better than iPhone 6s in most places.

Examples I have observed, still no indoor LTE coverage in places like Plaza Bonita, Yard House Mission Valley or Target in Clairemont.  We won't see B26 anytime soon so indoor coverage won't be strong until at least 2017.

Here is a 100Mpbs+ speed test done on Camino Del Rio S near the stadium in Mission Valley.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1813566987

MatKXW6l.png

• Like 1

Well here in North County, mostly Oceanside, Vista, and many parts off of El Camino just before La Costa Ave, and the 101 Coast Side from Palomar Airport to Poinsettia, there's areas where there's no service period for the past couple of weeks.

Things are slowly getting better as far as data speeds go in San Diego but site density still lacks in my opinion. The data speeds are fine for my needs generally. If the past is an indication of the future then our densification with be slow and additional macro sites even slower.

Last night I tried to download Marshmallow to my Note 4 and was told it would take 9+ hr.s...  I figured I'd just plug it in overnight and let it go.  Unfortunately my signal at home degraded so much, I kept getting download failed messages.  When I gave up late at night, it said 19% complete  09:29:30 to complete...

SignalCheckPro shows LTE 1900  bouncing around between -111 and -104 every few seconds.  These results are consistant.  

I solved my download problem by going near a known tower in OB to get my Marshmallow update in only 2 1/2hr.s.

I would be REALLY POd at Sprint if any of my friends got better reception in my part of Pt. Loma, but their reception is generally worse with other carriers.

Yes, I've tried Airave- for unknown reasons it doesn't help.  Good reason to keep up my land line.

Last night I tried to download Marshmallow to my Note 4 and was told it would take 9+ hr.s...  I figured I'd just plug it in overnight and let it go.  Unfortunately my signal at home degraded so much, I kept getting download failed messages.  When I gave up late at night, it said 19% complete  09:29:30 to complete...

SignalCheckPro shows LTE 1900  bouncing around between -111 and -104 every few seconds.  These results are consistant.  

I solved my download problem by going near a known tower in OB to get my Marshmallow update in only 2 1/2hr.s.

I would be REALLY POd at Sprint if any of my friends got better reception in my part of Pt. Loma, but their reception is generally worse with other carriers.

Yes, I've tried Airave- for unknown reasons it doesn't help.  Good reason to keep up my land line.

You can't do this on wifi?

• Like 1

Dkoellerwx - my phone in-explicitly refused to download via WiFi, and yes- I did have WiFi preferred on.

I checked and ordinary content loaded quite nicely via CoxWiFi but my phone just would not download that update via WiFi.  I checked my Sprint Acct data usage this morning and it doesn't show yesterdays download at all-- the reporting may just be delayed or does Sprint not count phone update data usage?

Wow, that's a long time.  Mine took 13 minutes

Last night I tried to download Marshmallow to my Note 4 and was told it would take 9+ hr.s... I figured I'd just plug it in overnight and let it go. Unfortunately my signal at home degraded so much, I kept getting download failed messages. When I gave up late at night, it said 19% complete 09:29:30 to complete...

SignalCheckPro shows LTE 1900 bouncing around between -111 and -104 every few seconds. These results are consistant.

Yes, I've tried Airave- for unknown reasons it doesn't help. Good reason to keep up my land line.

Why didn't you use wifi at home?

Dkoellerwx - my phone in-explicitly refused to download via WiFi, and yes- I did have WiFi preferred on.

I checked and ordinary content loaded quite nicely via CoxWiFi but my phone just would not download that update via WiFi. I checked my Sprint Acct data usage this morning and it doesn't show yesterdays download at all-- the reporting may just be delayed or does Sprint not count phone update data usage?

That's odd it wouldn't download via WiFi. Seems like it would want you to download it on WiFi. The update will count as regular data use, it just may not have been showing up yet.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that Sprint updates like this one do not count against data use similar to calls to customer service not being counted against your minutes.

...The update will count as regular data use, it just may not have been showing up yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else in North County have issues making calls this afternoon? Every attempted call to different numbers had busy signals.

• 1 month later...

Another site soon to get 2.5.  Note the plans were submitted over 1 year ago on 4/20/15.  It takes a long time in San Diego to get anything done.

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/pc-16-044_sprint_canyonside_park.pdf

• Like 1

Another site soon to get 2.5. Note the plans were submitted over 1 year ago on 4/20/15. It takes a long time in San Diego to get anything done.

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/pc-16-044_sprint_canyonside_park.pdf

Wow, I glanced through the pdf. 75 pages with multiple planning boards and recreation commissions. For 1 site!

No wonder sprint anticipates being stuck in permit hell for 2016

Another site soon to get 2.5.  Note the plans were submitted over 1 year ago on 4/20/15.  It takes a long time in San Diego to get anything done.

12 antennas and 24 RRUs!

They're using Commscope DHHTT65B-3XR antennas that are tri-band, but the only RRUs listed on the plan are ALU TD RRH8x20-25s.  Aren't those just B41?

12 antennas and 24 RRUs!

They're using Commscope DHHTT65B-3XR antennas that are tri-band, but the only RRUs listed on the plan are ALU TD RRH8x20-25s. Aren't those just B41?

Sprint usually include extra hardware just incase future growth and wouldn't require more zoning. It will be B25 and B41 in this case.

• Like 2

Band 26 (eventually) could be used on that site to provide better indoor coverage to all of the neighborhoods in the area. There is also poor to no coverage further west down the canyon within the park.

Is LTE Discovery known for giving false Band 26 readings? Reason I'm asking is because I've noticed this early this morning. SCP didn't display Band 26.

Screenshot_20160518_014407.jpgScreenshot_20160518_014422.jpgScreenshot_20160518_014735.jpg

Mhm..

#9,#A,#B = 2nd LTE carrier

Note the B25². The squared is SCPs way of identifying the 2nd B25 carrier in this case. 

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Oh ok. Gotcha. I didn't understand where LTE Discovery was getting that from. Nevermind.

Is LTE Discovery known for giving false Band 26 readings? Reason I'm asking is because I've noticed this early this morning. SCP didn't display Band 26.

Screenshot_20160518_014407.jpgScreenshot_20160518_014422.jpgScreenshot_20160518_014735.jpg

Yes, LTE Discovery is reporting the 2nd B25 carrier as B26 in ALU markets for some reason. This is causing some in Phoenix to report Band 26 as well, even though it doesn't appear to be live yet.

• Like 1