Rumor: HTC One X 5 to be the Google Nexus 5

9erHater

The rumor is that HTC's rumored One X 5 "phablet" (hate that term) will become the next Google Nexus device under the name Nexus 5.

Highlights:

Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset

1080p display (I really don't believe that)

12MP main camera

2MP front-facing camera

64GB internal storage

2,500mAh

LTE connectivity

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-htc-5-phablet-to-be-the-google-nexus-5/

• Like 2

As much as I am not a fan of HTC... if they made a Nexus Phone/Tablet, I think I would have to buy it.

There are several reasons to pass on it:

it is a first generation device

EVO LTE connection issues

less impressive specs than the note

no "pen" (stylus)

But there are reasons to love it too:

Nexus device, AOSP!!!

AOSP

AOSP

Hopefully better radios than the Samsung Nexus devices

Once this rumor is confirmed or debunked, I'm sure we will see some specs and find out more on this. I would love to bring another nexus into my device stable, even if it is a HTC (shudder)

I saw this rumor earlier today, and was going to post it, but forgot. I'm glad you posted it, as I am now super excited that I might not have to deal with touchwiz on the Note 2.

http://www.gsmarena....p-news-4812.php

[quote}

An image and some specs of the yet unannounced HTC phablet device have risen from the rumor pool. Currently the device is only known by its DIx codename, which when put together with the red stripe and naming history of HTC could coincide with Droid Incredible X.

I guess I could be satisfied with a 5" DIx...

I guess I could be satisfied with a 5" DIx...

That's what she said...or so you hope.

:P

AJ

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The original OP's idea that this was going to be the Nexus 5 is never going to happen. Google is sticking with only having three models for this holiday season lineup. I won't expect we'll see another phone till summer of next year. I'm kinda bummed HTC is out again as I think Google phones are what was keeping them running correctly. They have never been the same since that last generation they were making the Nexus and the OG EVO. I will not be buying another HTC after my EVO LTE mess. This really annoyed me and the GS3 getting Jelly Bean just was the last straw.

• Like 2

The original OP's idea that this was going to be the Nexus 5 is never going to happen. Google is sticking with only having three models for this holiday season lineup. I won't expect we'll see another phone till summer of next year. I'm kinda bummed HTC is out again as I think Google phones are what was keeping them running correctly. They have never been the same since that last generation they were making the Nexus and the OG EVO. I will not be buying another HTC after my EVO LTE mess. This really annoyed me and the GS3 getting Jelly Bean just was the last straw.

HTC really missed the mark all the way back to the EVO 3D, trying to market that as a flagship device was a joke. The OG EVO was their last great device (even that had major battery life issues).

As for this new HTC phablet, a 2500mah battery is way too small for a device of this size. The 3100 in the note 2 i think should be the bare minimum.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Forum Runner

htc-droid-dna.jpg

That handset looks like the EVO 4G and the Rezound copulated and had a big, fat baby. Not very impressive.

AJ

HTC really missed the mark all the way back to the EVO 3D, trying to market that as a flagship device was a joke. The OG EVO was their last great device (even that had major battery life issues).

As for this new HTC phablet, a 2500mah battery is way too small for a device of this size. The 3100 in the note 2 i think should be the bare minimum.

EVO 3D was ok, but I agree with the mistake mascaraing it as a flagship handset. Even though other manufacturers dove into the 3D gimmick the device was very flawed. The last great deive HTC released IMO is the EVO 4G LTE, it is by far the best device I have ever owned. While not perfect some owners have struggled with a handset or two, Sprint in partnership with HTC developed a great handset.

While I will agree with the battery argument, HTC isn't alone in the lacking mAh department. They're already saying the screen offsets the lacking battery capacity.. but I agree with you 100%. I'll cross my fingers that Sprint puts their touch on the J variant like they did the One X (1800mAh vs our 2000mAh).

I wish they made an EVO 5, or made the One X 5 with a dedicated camera button for Sprint.

+1

• Like 1

EVO 3D was ok' date=' but I agree with the mistake mascaraing it as a flagship handset. Even though other manufacturers dove into the 3D gimmick the device was very flawed. The last great deive HTC released IMO is the EVO 4G LTE, it is by far the best device I have ever owned. While not perfect some owners have struggled with a handset or two, Sprint in partnership with HTC developed a great handset.

While I will agree with the battery argument, HTC isn't alone in the lacking mAh department. They're already saying the screen offsets the lacking battery capacity.. but I agree with you 100%. I'll cross my fingers that Sprint puts their touch on the J variant like they did the One X (1800mAh vs our 2000mAh).

+1[/quote']

Besides HTC and LG, who else tried the 3D gimmick?

EVO 3D was ok, but I agree with the mistake mascaraing it as a flagship handset.

The EVO 3D wore makeup???

And you did not like this great commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcdAxyDaTLI

;)

AJ

EVO 3D was ok, but I agree with the mistake mascaraing it as a flagship handset. Even though other manufacturers dove into the 3D gimmick the device was very flawed. The last great deive HTC released IMO is the EVO 4G LTE, it is by far the best device I have ever owned. While not perfect some owners have struggled with a handset or two, Sprint in partnership with HTC developed a great handset.

Great handset? It can't even live up to its name right now.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 2

EVO 3D was ok' date=' but I agree with the mistake mascaraing it as a flagship handset.[/quote']

I have to laugh now, in hindsight, that when I went to the Sprint store to get the wife's E4GT, the salesman tried to sell me on the EVO 3D over the Photon and E4GT. I am so glad that I did my research prior to going to the store. E4GT was much better

• 2 weeks later...

Besides HTC and LG, who else tried the 3D gimmick?

I know Sony did and I could have sworn Samsung or someone else did.. I read it a while back.

Great handset? It can't even live up to its name right now.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Like I said "While not perfect some owners have struggled with a handset or two" for me " it is by far the best device I have ever owned". I stand by what I said regarding my experiences with it, I'm sorry if it isn't living up to your expectations though.

On topic though I think we can all agree the One X 5 "DNA" is not the GNex5. I will say that I believe we can expect to see a five inch 1080p display on the next GNex.

The Droid DNA is really solid. The best Droid device that's out yet, IMO. That would be my next but I'm going to be stubborn and wait for my Verizon contract to expire in July 2013.

If I wasn't in an area of Verizon monopoly I'd wait for the EVO 2013 variant which I bet will be a lot like the DNA with a faster SoC on board.

• 1 month later...