Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

I was going to, but played volleyball then had the munchkin with me..

Btw, have you had anymore luck with the mayor and approaching Google fiber?

The mayor assigned a 6 person planning board for FTTH (Fiber to the Home) in Wake Forest. She formally appointed me to be one of the 6 about 3 weeks ago. Success getting Google will depend on Raleigh getting Google Fiber, first.

I can tell you that we are proceeding with plans for a FTTH provider here, with or without Google.

• Like 1

I can tell you that we are proceeding with plans for a FTTH provider here, with or without Google.

Awesome news! How do you plan on getting around the municipal fiber legislation? Would this be a private company?

There is talk of the FCC director reversing NC HB129 which prohibits municipalities from running their own ISP's. Wake Forest will not be getting into the ISP business regardless, but it may open up more opportunities for us.

• Like 2

Interesting find. Daniels may be interested. Looks like they are using dark fiber......http://rstfiber.com/releases/rst-fiber-activates-americas-first-gigabit-state/

I've been talking to RST behind the scenes for almost a year now. They are basically just piggybacking off the MCNC network, they bought several strands of fiber on the statewide network. Of note, the President and CEO of MCNC is actually on the FTTH planning board here in Wake Forest, and is also a resident of the town.

At this point however, neither MCNC, or RST are an option for the town, right now.

Lovely write up. Thank you Daniel. But I must ask. I understood the 850mhz band to be the roaming band for Verizon. Sprint's spectrum is below that, in the 800mhz  band. As such, does the same tower also carry for Verizon? Or does Sprint install 850mhz panels so Verizon customers can roam onto Sprint towers? 

• 2 weeks later...

Lost LTE service by the Forum on Six Forks road near Strickland Rd. Was getting Full bars a couple weeks ago but now only connects to 3G.

Came on to see if anyone else had mentioned this. I work right near Six Forks and Strickland, and this has been a pain for sure.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any info on what's going on at Six Forks and Strickland? No LTE for 2 weeks now.

Since you are in a launched market, have you reported the outage to Sprint? Have you confirmed it is out for other devices too?

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Since you are in a launched market, have you reported the outage to Sprint? Have you confirmed it is out for other devices too?

Yes, one other user mentioned it above, and my wife's EVO LTE wasn't recieving LTE here either.

Do I have to call in and spend a bunch of time on the phone with sprint to "report" this?

Also, fyi - made a donation today to s4gru

• Like 1

Yes, one other user mentioned it above, and my wife's EVO LTE wasn't recieving LTE here either.

Do I have to call in and spend a bunch of time on the phone with sprint to "report" this?

Also, fyi - made a donation today to s4gru

Thanks for the donation. You have already been reupgraded to Sponsor.

Since you have ruled out a device problem, I would call Sprint and report it. 2 weeks is an awful long time to have no LTE service in a launched market.

Let me ask this though...is the whole site down, or are you just not able to get a signal in a place you used to? Because if you used to just get a weak LTE signal in an area (say -105dBm or weaker) and now it's not there anymore, it's possible that the sector has been optimized and you are now out of coverage until B26 arrives.

If the whole are doesn't have LTE anymore, including near the site where you connect to, then report it to Sprint as an outage.

Thanks for the donation. You have already been reupgraded to Sponsor.

Since you have ruled out a device problem, I would call Sprint and report it. 2 weeks is an awful long time to have no LTE service in a launched market.

Let me ask this though...is the whole site down, or are you just not able to get a signal in a place you used to? Because if you used to just get a weak LTE signal in an area (say -105dBm or weaker) and now it's not there anymore, it's possible that the sector has been optimized and you are now out of coverage until B26 arrives.

If the whole are doesn't have LTE anymore, including near the site where you connect to, then report it to Sprint as an outage.

Yeah, it's all over this whole range for that tower. No LTE.

I have also had no LTE for 2 weeks here in Cary where I previously had service. I've reported it to Sprint -- they told me they were aware of the site outage but had no estimate for when the site would be back online.

• Like 1

FYI, for anyone tracking my FTTH initiative in Wake Forest, I can't announce anything official right now, but can say we're almost there... Things are progressing amazingly. Hope it won't be too much longer before I can say what it is.

• Like 1

Video from the Flaherty Park install in Wake Forest. Unfortunately, a windy day + no camera gimbal + youtube stablization produced too much jello, so this is B-Roll material. I know some of you will love it though.

• Like 3

tried to report the LTE outage at Six Forks/Strickland in N Raleigh on Friday. The rep on the chat line just kept pasting language about the 4g upgrades and was clearly unknowledgable on the issue and/or how to report it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...