iPhone 5 frequencies + HD voice

iansltx

Hmmm, I get impression from this thread that iPhone 5 Version 2 supports LTE on 850(800)/AWS/1900 but it has no CDMA on AWS band at all.

Query, how does Cricket sell a prepaid iPhone in those of its markets with AWS where it doesn't have 1900 CDMA? I am scratching

Easy answer with established precedent. Cricket does not offer the iPhone 4/4S in AWS only markets; Cricket will likely not offer the iPhone 5 either in those markets.

It really is a "fustercluck," but Apple always seems to yank the carriers' chains, especially those carriers that are not among Apple's chosen few (read: any domestic carrier other than AT&T). Honestly, the wireless industry would have been better off if the iPhone had never existed.

AJ

Easy answer with established precedent. Cricket does not offer the iPhone 4/4S in AWS only markets; Cricket will likely not offer the iPhone 5 either in those markets.

It really is a "fustercluck," but Apple always seems to yank the carriers' chains, especially those carriers that are not among Apple's chosen few (read: any domestic carrier other than AT&T). Honestly, the wireless industry would have been better off if the iPhone had never existed.

AJ

Booo hiss! If the iPhone hadn't come out where would smart phones be right now? We would be stuck with either crappy windows mobile or ever glitchy palm phones. The iPhone made everyone step up their game and created a now highly competitive market of smart phones. Now if they'd only add gorilla glass to their phones so they don't shatter so easily *types with shards of glass in fingers*

Don't forget the gobs of carrier crapware we'd be stuck with, or having to get carrier approval to put apps up for sale. The complete reliance on hardware keyboards and stylii (stylusssesss? ;) ). Etc, etc.

It looks like iPhone 5 supports CDMA on SMR 800Mhz. It supports CDMA Band Class 0, of which system A, sub-band 3 is the frequency range for the post-refarm Nextel frequencies. I haven't seen this explicitly confirmed anywhere but it seems to be the case. I think that also means it could support 3G on that band but not sure about that. We know it certainly supports the PCS G block. Given device turnover rates I would expect Sprint to rapidly switch channels to LTE until there is only one 3G data channel in each market.

And as far as I know of the design, it can talk any of it's supported technologies on any of the ports so there is no reason it couldn't do LTE on 800 SMR too. In fact Anandtech had an article discussing lack of SVDO/SVLTE: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/why-the-iphone-5-lacks-simultaneous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

In there he mentions that the iPhone was qualified with more bands than Apple lists as supported. In the future we should find out more about that... Especially the 2.6Ghz band which would be interesting for Clear offloading, but that one seems less plausible since I don't even think it has that band at all.

On the SVDO/SVLTE thing the article clears up the issue... The other phones have an extra antenna and duplicate CDMA radio path to support the simultaneous voice, which obviously has space and battery life consequences. This totally fits Apple's MO: look at where the puck is going to be (Voice over LTE), and cut a feature only useful to a small segment of the market (Verizon, Sprint, and Japan's KDDI) in order to optimize other things (much better world-wide LTE support, smaller, lighter, better battery life).

As far as the Sprint/Verizon/KDDI phone being separate from the world phone, it's obviously the same physical hardware, they just don't want to pay the CDMA licensing fee for 60% of their device sales when none of those people will ever use it. This time it's the AT&T phone that is the oddball, presumably with different filters, amps, etc to support the AT&T/Canada-specific frequencies. This makes the Sprint iPhone a better world phone.

Don't forget the gobs of carrier crapware we'd be stuck with' date=' or having to get carrier approval to put apps up for sale. The complete reliance on hardware keyboards and stylii (stylusssesss? ;) ). Etc, etc.

It looks like iPhone 5 supports CDMA on SMR 800Mhz. It supports CDMA Band Class 0, of which system A, sub-band 3 is the frequency range for the post-refarm Nextel frequencies. I haven't seen this explicitly confirmed anywhere but it seems to be the case. I think that also means it could support 3G on that band but not sure about that. We know it certainly supports the PCS G block. Given device turnover rates I would expect Sprint to rapidly switch channels to LTE until there is only one 3G data channel in each market.

And as far as I know of the design, it can talk any of it's supported technologies on any of the ports so there is no reason it couldn't do LTE on 800 SMR too. In fact Anandtech had an article discussing lack of SVDO/SVLTE: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/why-the-iphone-5-lacks-simultaneous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

In there he mentions that the iPhone was qualified with more bands than Apple lists as supported. In the future we should find out more about that... Especially the 2.6Ghz band which would be interesting for Clear offloading, but that one seems less plausible since I don't even think it has that band at all.

On the SVDO/SVLTE thing the article clears up the issue... The other phones have an extra antenna and duplicate CDMA radio path to support the simultaneous voice, which obviously has space and battery life consequences. This totally fits Apple's MO: look at where the puck is going to be (Voice over LTE), and cut a feature only useful to a small segment of the market (Verizon, Sprint, and Japan's KDDI) in order to optimize other things (much better world-wide LTE support, smaller, lighter, better battery life).

As far as the Sprint/Verizon/KDDI phone being separate from the world phone, it's obviously the same physical hardware, they just don't want to pay the CDMA licensing fee for 60% of their device sales when none of those people will ever use it. This time it's the AT&T phone that is the oddball, presumably with different filters, amps, etc to support the AT&T/Canada-specific frequencies. This makes the Sprint iPhone a better world phone.[/quote']

Even Apple's customers are spin doctors.

If the iPhone was capable of LTE 800 SMR, it would be advertised as such.

Booo hiss! If the iPhone hadn't come out where would smart phones be right now?

The world existed before smartphones, and in many ways, the wireless world would be better off without smartphones. I have been using wireless data primarily for productivity for 12 years. Data network congestion, spectrum crunch, etc., were never major issues until about five years ago when the iPhone gave every Joe Schmoe the idea that he deserves, even needs a smartphone to fill his vacant mind with mobile entertainment. So many of you who have smartphones do not need them, especially if you are going just going to use them as glorified streaming devices to suck up/down data everywhere you go.

AJ

The world existed before smartphones, and in many ways, the wireless world would be better off without smartphones. I have been using wireless data primarily for productivity for 12 years. Data network congestion, spectrum crunch, etc., were never major issues until about five years ago when the iPhone gave every Joe Schmoe the idea that he deserves, even needs a smartphone to fill his vacant mind with mobile entertainment. So many of you who have smartphones do not need them, especially if you are going just going to use them as glorified streaming devices to suck up/down data everywhere you go.

AJ

Aside from getting email, sms, web browsing...oh and making/receiving calls...smart phones probably ARE unnecessary. Never thought about it like that...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Aside from getting email, sms, web browsing...oh and making/receiving calls...smart phones probably ARE unnecessary. Never thought about it like that...

Any many of us were doing all of those things on wireless phones years before smartphones became de rigueur.

AJ

Data network congestion, spectrum crunch, etc., were never major issues until about five years ago when the iPhone gave every Joe Schmoe the idea that he deserves, even needs a smartphone to fill his vacant mind with mobile entertainment. So many of you who have smartphones do not need them, especially if you are going just going to use them as glorified streaming devices to suck up/down data everywhere you go.

Uh oh, mobile-elitism alert, sensors overloading ! :rofl:

• Like 1

Any many of us were doing all of those things on wireless phones years before smartphones became de rigueur.

AJ

My first data plan 10 years ago was 1MB of data on Cingular. I could usually stretch that out for the entire month with light usage. Now I go through that in a matter of seconds...

My first data plan 10 years ago was 1MB of data on Cingular. I could usually stretch that out for the entire month with light usage. Now I go through that in a matter of seconds...

I never used a data plan until I got my first smartphone, my iPhone 3Gs.

Even Apple's customers are spin doctors.

If the iPhone was capable of LTE 800 SMR, it would be advertised as such.

Well Apple calls out the GSM frequencies as 850 now. It has every appearance of supporting it but maybe someone with more knowledge of the FCC filings can comment.

Don't forget the gobs of carrier crapware we'd be stuck with, or having to get carrier approval to put apps up for sale. The complete reliance on hardware keyboards and stylii (stylusssesss? ;) ). Etc, etc.

As far as the Sprint/Verizon/KDDI phone being separate from the world phone, it's obviously the same physical hardware, they just don't want to pay the CDMA licensing fee for 60% of their device sales when none of those people will ever use it. This time it's the AT&T phone that is the oddball, presumably with different filters, amps, etc to support the AT&T/Canada-specific frequencies. This makes the Sprint iPhone a better world phone.

Really?

So bc you can talk on a freq then you can be able to get LTE on said freq????

That's saying that the EVO and SGS3 and all other LTE phones that can talk on 800MHz can also do LTE on it too....

Gotta disagree with that logic there...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Really?

So bc you can talk on a freq then you can be able to get LTE on said freq????

That's saying that the EVO and SGS3 and all other LTE phones that can talk on 800MHz can also do LTE on it too....

Gotta disagree with that logic there...

Just remember that it's all firmware nowadays. Firmware can be flashed. Will it? Probably not. But it is doable. Not like the old days.

Just remember that it's all firmware nowadays. Firmware can be flashed. Will it? Probably not. But it is doable. Not like the old days.

Ummmm no, lots goes into being able to get X type signal than just firmware.... It's not that easy.

Ummmm no, lots goes into being able to get X type signal than just firmware.... It's not that easy.

If the iPhone 5 lacks the independent signal path hardware to support MIMO in SMR 800 MHz, then LTE 800 capability is never going to happen. No firmware update can fix that.

AJ

Well Apple calls out the GSM frequencies as 850 now.

When has Apple ever not referred to GSM 850?

AJ

If the iPhone 5 lacks the independent signal path hardware to support MIMO in SMR 800 MHz, then LTE 800 capability is never going to happen. No firmware update can fix that.

AJ

MIMO on 800 is very hard to do. Period. You don't need MIMO for LTE. Now, an independent signal path is high desirable!

When has Apple ever not referred to GSM 850?

AJ

Apple has always stated GSM 850, and people forget that. They only ever referenced CDMA on 800 instead of 850 like they should have.

MIMO on 800 is very hard to do. Period. You don't need MIMO for LTE. Now, an independent signal path is high desirable!

Downlink 2x2 MIMO is mandatory for Category 3 UEs, and the iPhone 5 is Category 3.

AJ

Apple has always stated GSM 850' date=' and people forget that. They only ever referenced CDMA on 800 instead of 850 like they should have.[/quote']

According to 3GPP, the CDMA "850" band is called "CDMA 800"

AJ

but wait, you mean that I am not supposed to be watching NFL Redzone on my WiMax Epic while at the carwash which was streamed to me from my Slingbox at home. ... and the world used to be flat too I think. :-)

• Like 1