The new iPhone (5) Nano SIM card. Sprint?

Biggs88

I will be pre-ordering the new iPhone (5, 6th gen, whatever it's called) on the 12th from Apple's web site.

It looks like the new iPhone will use a "Nano" sim card. I stopped by my local Sprint store and the guys behind the counter looked at me like I was high as a kite. Then they told me "no problem, your 4S has a nano sim card already." At that point I waved "bye" and walked out noteing to my self to never go back to that store.

Sooooooooo:

What's the story. Does anyone happen to know if Sprint is going to have the Nano sim cards ready? I mean, when I get this phone im going to want to have it working as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone!

iphones have come with their own sim card, it is not provided by the carrier, I would expect that to continue.

as for sprint iphones, since they don't use them for the network, they have generic sprint-locked sim cards.

Edited by dedub

iphones have come with their own sim card' date=' it is not provided by the carrier, I would expect that to continue.[/quote']

Actually, the carrier ships the cards to Apple who installs them in the phones, and I'm sure the Nano-SIM's have been ready for a little while, so they either will come in the phone, or if there was any delay, it will come in the same package the phone is shipped to you in.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

• Like 1

You won't be able to preorder the new iPhone on the 12th. That's just the date it's announced.

Not entirely true. I've seen pre-orders go live the same day as the announcement. The iPhone 3Gs was that way.

A related question for you all is... if the iPhone 5 from Sprint does use a nano-SIM, will it store both the CDMA and LTE information, i.e., can we maybe expect Sprint to start releasing phones that have user-accessible SIM cards?

A related question for you all is... if the iPhone 5 from Sprint does use a nano-SIM, will it store both the CDMA and LTE information, i.e., can we maybe expect Sprint to start releasing phones that have user-accessible SIM cards?

Strongly doubt it as well. Sprint has a deep hatred of SIM cards. In one of their latest phones that needs one, they opted for a soldered-on SIM card. Crazy. I wish all CDMA carriers in the 'states would use SIM cards like the carriers in Asia do - but that's not how Verizon and Sprint roll (Sprint even less than Verizon).

Edited by GoWireless

Is it possible it will be embedded (non-removable) like the Photon Q? That would be a dealbreaker especially for me who likes to use prepaid sims while abroad.

With it being the same model as Verizon, I would say that it will be removable.

• Like 2

One thing I have been thinking about is the possibility of roaming on verizon LTE network. Now that would be huge.

That would be the biggest selling point of the iPhone 5 if Sprint & Verizon entered a data roaming agreement.

If Sprint did get into a roaming agreement with Verizon, you could bet it would only connect to Verizon LTE when there is no Sprint 3G signal at all. There aren't many places that have no Sprint 3G, but do have Verizon LTE. Not many places at all. Rapid City, South Dakota.

Robert

• Like 1

If Sprint did get into a roaming agreement with Verizon, you could bet it would only connect to Verizon LTE when there is no Sprint 3G signal at all. There aren't many places that have no Sprint 3G, but do have Verizon LTE. Not many places at all. Rapid City, South Dakota.

Robert

And we would probably be capped at some outrageously low amount of usable data.

Verizon and Sprint has had a roaming agreement for quite some time but Verizon doesn't honor it like the agreed to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

LTE roaming would be subject to a new agreement. I have a feeling Verizon will not let anyone roam on its LTE network, unless compelled to by the FCC.

Robert

See www.cellcom.com, they roam on vzw lte.

Do they roam on Verizon LTE, or are they a Verizon Rural Partnership or Verizon MVNO?

Robert via ICS Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Plus it isn't as easy as swapping a sim card. You need to do a baseband unlock to remove carrier restrictions that come on the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that same methodology apply to LTE? I have the 4S on sprint and my friend has it on Verizon. I swapped our sim cards and it did nothing. I can take the sim card out and the phone is still useable. I do understand that it has nothing to do with 3G though.

I have the 4S on sprint and my friend has it on Verizon. I swapped our sim cards and it did nothing. I can take the sim card out and the phone is still useable. I do understand that it has nothing to do with 3G though.

If I recall correctly, I tried this between sprint and att when the 4s came out (I had one from each).

If you swap sims, you have to factory reset with the new sim for it to work.

to clarify, I put the att sim in the sprint phone and factory reset via the settings screen, then my att sim worked in the sprint phone.

Edited by dedub