Network Vision/LTE - Cincinnati Market

ohioratrodder

• 5 weeks later...

Just noticed on the Columbus thread it seems work may have just started up there. Looks like we need to be on the lookout for work being done on the towers down here......

Could be exciting around here soon!

• Like 1

Just noticed on the Columbus thread it seems work may have just started up there. Looks like we need to be on the lookout for work being done on the towers down here......

Could be exciting around here soon!

I was almost starting to get my hopes, but I was a bit let down when the latest round of "coming soon" markets contined to leave Ohio off the list.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed terrible service again in Cincinnati? I live in the Colerain area and work in St. Bernard. I am literally experiencing minutes of no service at all. It seems like this happened back in January also, then got slightly better, and now back to worthless.

Has anyone else noticed terrible service again in Cincinnati? I live in the Colerain area and work in St. Bernard. I am literally experiencing minutes of no service at all. It seems like this happened back in January also, then got slightly better, and now back to worthless.

Yes. going down 71 from 275 to the lateral I lost all signal then suddenly ..bam..full bars.

Something else. 71 north near duck creek and the lateral.. phone drops calls everytime recently. same thing on 75 south around Paddock.

Something is going on but who knows...the big Nextel shutdown is near so they could be prepping for that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I've now done my part to ensure that the Cincinnati market, particulary Dayton gets LTE. I finally got sick of basically useless data service over the past year and jumped ship to T-Mobile, which means that Sprint should be turning on LTE any day now in Dayton.

• Like 1

I've now done my part to ensure that the Cincinnati market, particulary Dayton gets LTE. I finally got sick of basically useless data service over the past year and jumped ship to T-Mobile, which means that Sprint should be turning on LTE any day now in Dayton.

LOL. That is funny. Sounds like my luck somtimes.

Anyone see new LTE towers on 275 after the eastgate exit headed north toward 75? They might be at&t towers but they are new. Sorry for not knowing the exit the towers are close to.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Dave can you give a more accurate location?  Thats almost a 20 mile stretch.   Were the towers before 71 like around the Loveland area?

The crazy thing is that it looks like Cincinnati is about to get some major LTE love from both T-Moble and Sprint soon.

The reason I ask on a more specific location is because I have to drive between 71 and 747 on 275 everyday.  I can try to take a look around if its in that stretch.

Im hoping LTE gets here soon.  Yesterday in the middle of the day I was getting a whopping 4kbps down with 3200ms ping times on 747.  Nothing like SPRINT SPEED!  :tu:

The crazy thing is that it looks like Cincinnati is about to get some major LTE love from both T-Moble and Sprint soon.

I heard that T-Mobile should start showing up in Cincinnati and Dayton in June/July and AT&T(for Dayton) in the more vague "summer" time frame. Looks like the Cincinnati and Dayton areas should have their choice of LTE carriers by the end of the year.

I'm still curious how T-Mobile is deploying LTE in Cincinnati. They don't seem to have enough bandwidth to share between LTE and HSPA+ on the AWS bands.

Ok the towers I saw are right past blanchester exit, I believe that the exit number is 57. I don't know a lot about LTE towers but they don't seem to be complete. But like I said what do I know lol.

Just registered today, but it looks like maybe they're in the initial stages of putting in some new equipment at my local tower. There is some fresh conduit in place from what I can tell. I posted pics in another thread.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2902-how-to-spot-sprint-panels-and-rrus-ericsson-style/?p=144831

Just registered today, but it looks like maybe they're in the initial stages of putting in some new equipment at my local tower. There is some fresh conduit in place from what I can tell. I posted pics in another thread.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2902-how-to-spot-sprint-panels-and-rrus-ericsson-style/?p=144831

What part of town is this?   The pics certainly look promising.

Ok the towers I saw are right past blanchester exit, I believe that the exit number is 57. I don't know a lot about LTE towers but they don't seem to be complete. But like I said what do I know lol.

That rocks.  I plan on going over that way tomorrow actually.  If I can snap some pics i will.

I heard that T-Mobile should start showing up in Cincinnati and Dayton in June/July and AT&T(for Dayton) in the more vague "summer" time frame. Looks like the Cincinnati and Dayton areas should have their choice of LTE carriers by the end of the year.

I'm still curious how T-Mobile is deploying LTE in Cincinnati. They don't seem to have enough bandwidth to share between LTE and HSPA+ on the AWS bands.

On the T-Mobile note, I am not sure how they plan on doing it either with Cincy Bell owning some of the spectrum here.  I tried T-Mobile's $30 plan 100min \ 5GB for a couple of months in Feb but the coverage wasnt consitant enough for me to keep them.  I figured I already have plenty of inconsistant bandwidth with Sprint so i decided to ride out the LTE upgrade (At least till Aug-Sept when my contract is up :) ).

When I had a good signal on T-Mobile I will say it was FAST.  Got 10-20Mb down easily.   Much better than the 3kb\sec I was getting the other day on Sprint.  The downfall on T-Mobile was if I walked inside a building it was just like WiMax on Sprint, no usable signal at all. 

On the T-Mobile note, I am not sure how they plan on doing it either with Cincy Bell owning some of the spectrum here.

Yeah, I would not count on T-Mobile LTE in Cincinnati anytime soon.

Because of Cincinnati Bell, AT&T, Aloha, and Leap (Cricket) all controlling AWS spectrum in Cincinnati, that is arguably T-Mobile's most spectrum constrained remaining major market.  Even SpectrumCo was shut out of Cincinnati -- a rare occurrence -- such that VZW's acquisition of SpectrumCo still gave it nothing to swap with T-Mobile in the market.

So, on the AWS side, T-Mobile is still stuck with just the AWS E block 10 MHz license.  That is used for a single W-CDMA carrier.  And even though T-Mobile holds 30 MHz on the PCS side in Cincinnati, W-CDMA cannot be flipped to that side because many T-Mobile devices do not support W-CDMA 1900.  Thus, T-Mobile has no spectrum available for band 4 LTE.

In the end, T-Mobile will have to strike a network sharing deal with Cincinnati Bell or a spectrum transaction with AT&T, Aloha, or Leap.  Otherwise, Cincinnati will remain a red headed stepchild market -- one where it sucks to be on T-Mobile.

AJ

What part of town is this?   The pics certainly look promising.

In college Hill. That's the tower right near the corner of Winton and North Bend.

I'm definitely curious what all of the existing equipment on the tower is though. I don't know what the difference in all of the RRUs is.

Also in College Hill...you just made my day.

In college Hill. That's the tower right near the corner of Winton and North Bend.

I'm definitely curious what all of the existing equipment on the tower is though. I don't know what the difference in all of the RRUs is.

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint isn't going to be the second carrier with LTE in Dayton. T-Mobile has starting showing up with LTE this week. With AT&T supposed to be lighting up LTE in Dayton at the end of summer, it look like Sprint will be the last with LTE in Dayton.

Sprint isn't going to be the second carrier with LTE in Dayton. T-Mobile has starting showing up with LTE this week. With AT&T supposed to be lighting up LTE in Dayton at the end of summer, it look like Sprint will be the last with LTE in Dayton.

Not surprising that they'll be last.  Sprint has selected the Ohio Motorola equipment markets to be last, because they need to move voice over to 800MHz when they upgrade this markets.  They could not do that until Nextel iDEN network is decommissioned.  That occurs on June 30th.  We are all looking forward to that day.

Robert

Not surprising that they'll be last.  Sprint has selected the Ohio Motorola equipment markets to be last, because they need to move voice over to 800MHz when they upgrade this markets.  They could not do that until Nextel iDEN network is decommissioned.  That occurs on June 30th.  We are all looking forward to that day.

Robert

I'm assuming that's because of the issues they had in Chicago with the transition? thenight84 mentioned they're going to be launching 3G in pockets around Columbus due to handoff concerns.

Robert

That's interesting, I don't think I had heard that before, I guess that would be why Sprint has seemingly forgotten all about Ohio to this point.  Was there a reason behind needing to wait to move voice to 800MHz?

Not surprising that they'll be last. Sprint has selected the Ohio Motorola equipment markets to be last, because they need to move voice over to 800MHz when they upgrade this markets. They could not do that until Nextel iDEN network is decommissioned. That occurs on June 30th. We are all looking forward to that day.

Robert

That's interesting, I don't think I had heard that before, I guess that would be why Sprint has seemingly forgotten all about Ohio to this point. Was there a reason behind needing to wait to move voice to 800MHz?

Yes. To avoid the problems they had with transition from Moto to Samsung like they had join Chicago: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-windy-city/

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• 2 weeks later...