Blocking apps....

kct1975

Ok...so the company I work for switched to BYOD last year. They, however, are still supporting a single Blackberry used by multiple employees at a security desk.

The company is considering shutting down the BES server soon and the Blackberry will need to be replaced with either an Android phone or an iPhone.

So if the Blackberry is replaced with an Android phone...is there any way to block the download of apps on an Android phone.

The company does not want the guards buying apps or being distracted playing games.

Please let me know if there is a way to block the download of app either through the device or though the carrier.

Thanks.

KCT - "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!"

If you root the phone you could use titanium backup to remove the app store. However if they're smart they could figure out how to download the amazon app store to get those features back. There may be a way to restrict that ability as well i'm not sure though.

Maybe add a PIN which will take care of purchases in the Google Play store. The free apps, not sure. Maybe tell them there is consequences if the phone is used for non-work related activities? Once the first gets fired for doing it, I bet it will stop. ;)

There are now more vendors that are supporting the Android phone similar to a blackberry. I saw someone mention mobileiron, but there are many others.. It will also depend on the version of Android you will be using as to what each vendor will support.

There use to be an app that once you set it up you can specify which app the user would have access to. If they try to access the app then it would ask for a pin. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it though but still if someone really wanted full access they will find a way to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
Better question is if they don't want them distracted why give them a smartphone

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

The reason is that the guard desk needs mobile access to corporation e-mail and Govt e-mail.

Also, the company will be shutting down the corporation BES server, so the Blackberry they currently have will not be an option.

KCT - "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!"