OTA for EVO Available

kckid

Well why cant you? When I hit the menu button on the homescreen the settings menu pops right up for me.

It doesn't do anything except make a slight vibration. If I put it to recent apps it works for that. I saw others saying the same thing. No biggie I know how to fix it.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

It doesn't do anything except make a slight vibration. If I put it to recent apps it works for that. I saw others saying the same thing. No biggie I know how to fix it.

Yeah I heard that too, maybe it was something that was changed in the custom rom that I just flashed this morning. Well my girls evo is stock so I will check hers and see if it does the same thing or not.

Mine does the same thing. Since you know how to fix it, please tell us.

Mine does the same thing. Since you know how to fix it, please tell us.

I was able to hard map it to menu but it doesn't work on the home screen. Will have to dig some more.

When using the stock Sense launcher, hitting the menu button does nothing. When I use Apex launcher I can bring up settings.

Correct and it's fixed in the latest mean rom on xda.

When using the stock Sense launcher, hitting the menu button does nothing. When I use Apex launcher I can bring up settings.

Because there is no menu on the homescreen. I guess HTC could have mapped it to settings and other option like in older sense versions? And the devs can fix it like mentioned above. To get to setting you have to push the settings button so it's not a menu button which is why I'm guessing it doesn't work on the home screen. Would have been nice though as it does get annoying always having to drag down the notification bar to get to settings. I also wish they would add the quick settings back. I miss that on my old evo. Why would they remove that?

Because there is no menu on the homescreen. I guess HTC could have mapped it to settings and other option like in older sense versions? And the devs can fix it like mentioned above. To get to setting you have to push the settings button so it's not a menu button which is why I'm guessing it doesn't work on the home screen. Would have been nice though as it does get annoying always having to drag down the notification bar to get to settings. I also wish they would add the quick settings back. I miss that on my old evo. Why would they remove that?

In the version of Sense before this, pushing the menu butting pulled up a little menu for 4 or 5 options and you would then hit settings.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BoDXyfAUBQc

I've got stock EVO as well, and have not seem this as a problem. Granted, if I overload Chrome with too many tabs, it'll reset Sense, but maybe... Once every two weeks? I don't even remember the last time it happened. So either one of two things:
A. You have a bunch of intensive apps/widgets that use up your RAM, or
B. You're extremely unlucky.

I'd lean towards A, but don't know for sure.

Thanks, but no.... It happens to me directly after hard resetting the phone with NO apps from the market or elsewhere. It now has happened to me on 3 separate HTV EVO 4G LTEs and the 4G LTE I played with in the store (demo)
Maybe I'm...

Thanks, but no.... It happens to me directly after hard resetting the phone with NO apps from the market or elsewhere. It now has happened to me on 3 separate HTV EVO 4G LTEs and the 4G LTE I played with in the store (demo)

Maybe I'm...

http://www.youtube.c...bed/BoDXyfAUBQc

Sounds like you would be better off with another phone, see if they will let you swap it out for a gs3. What you say you are experiencing is extremely uncommon for most other evo owners.

Sounds like you would be better off with another phone, see if they will let you swap it out for a gs3. What you say you are experiencing is extremely uncommon for most other evo owners.

Do you think Sprint would allow me to swap it out for a GS III?? I would if I could I think!

Do you think Sprint would allow me to swap it out for a GS III?? I would if I could I think!

I have no idea what sprint's policies are but it would seem that generally after the 14 day return period has passed then they won't allow you to simply just swap it out for a different device. It will probably take several exchanges of the same device in addition to the discretion of whatever manager on duty. So who knows, you might get lucky.

I got a replacement EVO LTE phone. The first thing I did was check for system updates and updated the phone. I thought that would bring me to the latest OS for the phone. I did not check the version, but this morning I just happened to check for updates again, and to my surprise there was one available. This update just brought me up to the latest version. Is this normal?

I would have thought that updating the phone would have updated it to the latest version instead of having to do multiple updates.

I got a replacement EVO LTE phone. The first thing I did was check for system updates and updated the phone. I thought that would bring me to the latest OS for the phone. I did not check the version, but this morning I just happened to check for updates again, and to my surprise there was one available. This update just brought me up to the latest version. Is this normal?

I would have thought that updating the phone would have updated it to the latest version instead of having to do multiple updates.

Like some other software programs and OS's, in order to get one update, it may require an update that your phone does not have. So it has to do multiple updates in order to complete it's task. It's perfectly normal, but very annoying.

• Like 1

I find it amazing that they haven't released a quick fix for the ringtone bug which caused all ringtones for contacts to be reset to the default for all phones which had been updated. This is a huge bug and why nothing has been done makes me rethink my next HTC purchase. I'm (was) a huge fan of HTC but they are blowing it at every turn.

My convo with HTC about the issues I'm having...

Is there an update coming out for the HTC EVO 4G LTE to fix...

-the 'initial message/ contact lag' issue (takes 20-40 seconds to open message thread or contact detail /contact suggestion on 'compose' if the app has closed or phone has been rebooted). It started after last OTA update & Sprint says its a known update.

-the restarting 'loading message' of the Sense homescreen almost every time the 'home' button is hit to return to the main screen after coming out of any app.

I've stuck with the EVO series from the very beginning and to have these issues that severely affect my user experience on the 'latest & greatest' EVO is a big disappointment; especially since it's not a solo-issue case.

373027_165420456859572_589278966_q.jpg HTC USA Have you tried a soft reset, Ben? Power down, remove/replace the battery, then power back up. Let us know if this helps.

I did a soft reset, a hard reset, and I even had the phone replaced with a re-furbished one as per Sprint's warranty service. No luck. It happens with no after-stock apps installed as well (I thought it might be a Market app that I was installing).

No phone OS/software is perfect. One of the many reasons why I have always ran some aftermarket code/ROM. Even HTC snuck back in some monitoring software called Red Bend or something where you can not opt out. Remember the CIQ thing?

They told you to remove the battery on the EVO LTE?

Lol, I was thinking that too?!

No phone OS/software is perfect. One of the many reasons why I have always ran some aftermarket code/ROM. Even HTC snuck back in some monitoring software called Red Bend or something where you can not opt out. Remember the CIQ thing?

Yeah Digi you can see the software on the Google Play store in "My Android Apps" and its called "Smart Device Manager" from "Location Labs". There is no way to disable or uninstall this app or opt out. This app allows anyone to log into your EVO LTE remotely and take control of your phone and there is nothing you can do?! This really ticked me off!

"Smart Device Manager is pre-installed on phones to facilitate sign-up for Sprint Drive First and Sprint Mobile Controls (so that a parent doesn’t need to grab a child’s phone and manually install software). Like other apps that come pre-installed on your phone, Smart Device Manager cannot be uninstalled.

The app is designed to be as small and impact-free as possible. Unless you sign up for Sprint Drive First or Sprint Mobile Controls, Smart Device Manager will not consume battery, memory, or any other phone resources. It’s only 600kb in size (about the same size as a wallpaper image that comes pre-installed on your phone)."

This is a lie as this app runs at the start-up of my phone every boot and then it starts every few days after I manually go in an force it close at boot! I think they can reenable it on the fly too. This, just like CIQ, tee's me off so bad! Let a parent take control of their child's phone and don't make me suffer for it! Arg!

Hey Digi what is RedBend?

Thanks,

5th :(

I remove the smart device or manager or whatever it is. There were some interesting tidbits of text in there that gave it the axe.

Go look on xda in the evo lte forum about redbend.

Lol, I was thinking that too?!

Yeah Digi you can see the software on the Google Play store in "My Android Apps" and its called "Smart Device Manager" from "Location Labs". There is no way to disable or uninstall this app or opt out. This app allows anyone to log into your EVO LTE remotely and take control of your phone and there is nothing you can do?! This really ticked me off!

This is a lie as this app runs at the start-up of my phone every boot and then it starts every few days after I manually go in an force it close at boot! I think they can reenable it on the fly too. This, just like CIQ, tee's me off so bad! Let a parent take control of their child's phone and don't make me suffer for it! Arg!

Hey Digi what is RedBend?

Thanks,

5th :(

How do you know it allows someone to remotely log in without anything you can do to prevent it?....

Show some proof with the claim, as that's a giant claim there.

I do remember sprint working with someone that would allow remote techs to debug the device remotely but it would req a pin entered by the customer to allow it as it would be used for troubleshooting in the field issues at high level techs....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

How do you know it allows someone to remotely log in without anything you can do to prevent it?....

Show some proof with the claim, as that's a giant claim there.

I do remember sprint working with someone that would allow remote techs to debug the device remotely but it would req a pin entered by the customer to allow it as it would be used for troubleshooting in the field issues at high level techs....

I can't prove anything. I am going by what Sprint told me when I called up about the issue and from the permissions in the Google Play store which allows this app to basically do anything. From what the rep told me was that this app receives text messages from a "main" system via another Sprint app or Sprint itself and then the app can shutdown parts of the phone, read text messages, GPS, etc. Kinda like a hidden Lookout software with remote capabilities. Now Sprint didn't say anyone in the world could log in but I'm going to put my money on hackers finding an easy exploit to take over the phone. In fact I'd be willing to put money on it.

I can't prove anything. I am going by what Sprint told me when I called up about the issue and from the permissions in the Google Play store which allows this app to basically do anything. From what the rep told me was that this app receives text messages from a "main" system via another Sprint app or Sprint itself and then the app can shutdown parts of the phone, read text messages, GPS, etc. Kinda like a hidden Lookout software with remote capabilities. Now Sprint didn't say anyone in the world could log in but I'm going to put my money on hackers finding an easy exploit to take over the phone. In fact I'd be willing to put money on it.

I know one piece of this software is for the Teenage Drive thing they try to get you to pay for. It's supposed to lock the phone while the kid is driving if turned on. Just one of the many APKs I remove from the ZIP file before flashing.

A sprint CS rep told u this?......

U realize hackers can't do anything to ANY info(this app aside) less you give said hackers app access to ur system to begin with so that is on u to not give sketch apps certain permissions...

I really hope you are not putting all this on what a sprint CS rep said to you btw...