Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Robert, any news on Columbus lately? Have they finished the design documentation yet? I found a way to search for permits in Columbus, but I'm not sure if they'd be filed under Sprint or whoever is being contracted in Columbus. https://citizenacces.../citizenaccess/

Also, zoning info is here.

*snoring*

What? Huh? Err.... *cough*

Ohio? I've heard of that place before. But I don't think Sprint has.

Design wrapped up back in September if memory serves. Backhaul and permitting work is probably under way now. I'd guess work would start in late Winter/early Spring. But I do not have any definite info about the Columbus market beyond that at this time.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

*snoring*

What? Huh? Err.... *cough*

Ohio? I've heard of that place before. But I don't think Sprint has.

Design wrapped up back in September if memory serves. Backhaul and permitting work is probably under way now. I'd guess work would start in late Winter/early Spring. But I do not have any definite info about the Columbus market beyond that at this time.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

:td: I've been guessing the timetable is somewhere along the lines of February or March to start. Was hoping there'd be some updates, but like you said, they seem to have forgotten Ohio. They remember all of the states around us, but ignore us. At least I get another taste of LTE when I go back to Athens, GA in less than a week.

I am now seeing EHRPD instead of EVDO-A in Central Ohio... is that anything to be excited about?

If you're seeing it, that just means it's another step to getting the upgrades, but it doesn't necessarily mean increased speeds or that they're starting right away. Just means that they could start at any point, but it could be a month, two months, 3 months, 6 months.

Where in Central Ohio? Screenshots? I don't think there's any way for me to see that on my iPhone. I don't know that the field test menu reflects it correctly or not. It's showing EV-DO right now, but I don't know that it's trustworthy.

Edited by andycapps

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents as a person who works downtown in the Arena District. I tend to get stuck on 1x the entire time I'm at work. The following is what I'm seeing speed-wise from Speed Test:

763ms ping, 58 kbps down, and 24 kbps up. I would say this is about average (i.e. less than .1 Mbps up and down), but it's higher than what I usually get, probably because it's now mid to late December, and less and less people are at work through the end of the year.

I'd post results for WiMax (I'm on the original EVO 4G), but I don't pick any up at my desk, which is probably more of a reception issue than anything else, because i can pick up WiMax a block or 2 south of here.

With all that Sprint is doing to deploy their LTE network and NV, it's too late to save me as a customer. My contract runs out in a few weeks, and I'm probably heading for Verizon, but I'll watch this thread to see if there's any news encouraging enough to keep me for any longer past my contract fulfillment date.

Hey guys, just wanted to post up as well. I'm here in Columbus (Westerville) Ohio and have experienced TERRIBLE data as well. I've just recently switched from my old WiMax Epic4g to a Galaxy Note II.

It's shocking how poorly the 3g network performs now. Back when I had my Treo I used to get 1Mbps all day long. Now, I'm lucky if I can break 100Kbps. I guess I wasn't aware since I was using the WiMax 4g before.

I will keep my eyes on this thread as well to see if there are any updates. Maybe Sprint should change the name of my plan from "Unlimited Data" to "Unuseable Data"! :lol:

I'm in Reynoldsburg but my phone read eHRPD all the way to Washington Court House. It went to eHRPD around 10 last night

That's great. That's one step closer to LTE. Doesn't mean it's right around the corner, but that step is ticked off. Thanks!

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents as a person who works downtown in the Arena District. I tend to get stuck on 1x the entire time I'm at work. The following is what I'm seeing speed-wise from Speed Test:

763ms ping, 58 kbps down, and 24 kbps up. I would say this is about average (i.e. less than .1 Mbps up and down), but it's higher than what I usually get, probably because it's now mid to late December, and less and less people are at work through the end of the year.

I'd post results for WiMax (I'm on the original EVO 4G), but I don't pick any up at my desk, which is probably more of a reception issue than anything else, because i can pick up WiMax a block or 2 south of here.

With all that Sprint is doing to deploy their LTE network and NV, it's too late to save me as a customer. My contract runs out in a few weeks, and I'm probably heading for Verizon, but I'll watch this thread to see if there's any news encouraging enough to keep me for any longer past my contract fulfillment date.

Totally understandable if you decide to switch, but I get the feeling that you're going to regret that as we'll probably start to get LTE in the next couple months, and in the scheme of a 2 year contract, I'm not sure if I'd rather wait a little bit more or jump the gun and go to Big Red and lose unlimited data.

Totally understandable if you decide to switch, but I get the feeling that you're going to regret that as we'll probably start to get LTE in the next couple months, and in the scheme of a 2 year contract, I'm not sure if I'd rather wait a little bit more or jump the gun and go to Big Red and lose unlimited data.

It's funny that the unlimited data is part of what could keep my around. With my unlimited unbearably slow data, I only use around 200-500MB per month. I actually shy away from using my phone at work for data purposes because it's basically unusable. I actually tried to download the Sensorly app today, which is a 2.2 MB download. It spent about an hour and a half trying to download it before it just quit. With these kinds of speeds, I might as well not have a smart phone. That said, I'm weary of entering into a contract with another carrier for 1-2GB a month if I can't really predict what my usage will be when I have an actual, usable data connection during another 33% of each day Monday to Friday.

So all in all, I'm a bit conflicted, but I'm still leaning towards leaving as a means to tell Sprint (with my wallet) that I'm not happy with their service right now.

Edited by jeffisbiking

It's funny that the unlimited data is part of what could keep my around. With my unlimited unbearably slow data, I only use around 200-500MB per month. I actually shy away from using my phone at work for data purposes because it's basically unusable. I actually tried to download the Sensorly app today, which is a 2.2 MB download. It spent about an hour and a half trying to download it before it just quit. With these kinds of speeds, I might as well not have a smart phone. That said, I'm weary of entering into a contract with another carrier for 1-2GB a month if I can't really predict what my usage will be when I have an actual, usable data connection during another 33% of each day Monday to Friday.

It is really, really easy to blow through data when you have fast speeds available. For the two months I was in KC with LTE around, I used up almost 6GB of data. I'm not entirely sure how either, because I don't spend a lot of time watching videos or anything like that. However, here in Springfield, with the similarly slow data speeds, I've yet to cross the 500MB threshold. But I'll be sticking with Sprint because I know that I don't want to deal with data caps, even if I have to suffer through the slow speeds right now.

So all in all, I'm a bit conflicted, but I'm still leaning towards leaving as a means to tell Sprint (with my wallet) that I'm not happy with their service right now.

You can do that sure, but they won't notice. It's sure not going to do anything to change what they're doing.

You have to do whatever's right for you and your wallet for the next couple years of whatever contract you sign. If you're trying to stick it to Sprint, I agree with the other poster, that they won't notice. You're just one number out of millions, unfortunately.

That's awesome about eHRPD being in Westerville now. It must be up all throughout the city. I don't know if it helps 3G handoffs too, but I was able to stream music better through Google Music last night much better across multiple towers. Previously there could be some slight stuttering and the phone seemed to want to drop back to 1X occasionally. Could have also been the time of day. It was about 9 PM so probably not peak hours.

Edited by andycapps

So, after I called the other day, and threw out my little rant on here, everything seems to be back to normal again. Not exactly fast but I get my calls again and speeds are, umm, somewhat useable.

Jeffisbiking, I agree with andycapps, you need to do whatever is best for you. However, in a few months when we have LTE up and going here in Columbus you are probably going to be kicking yourself in the tail for switching to the red check mark. As much as they brag about their LTE it's not what it's cracked up to be. While they do have some pretty good data speeds from time to time I have issues getting voice service and miss a lot of calls or calls sound pretty bad sometimes on my work phone. Like I said before, first and foremost, it's a phone.

As for me? I'm hanging on and riding out the storm. I had the one CSR that flat out lied to me but, I think you will get that from time to time with just about any company's customer service. Other than that guy Sprints customer service has been great to me and its why I have been with them for so long. I'm just hoping at this point that they get started with the upgrades soon. But, for the most part, I'm waiting patiently.

SW Columbus (Lincoln Village) is also getting eHRPD.

Just bit the bullet and upgraded to a Galaxy S3 yesterday so I guess I'll be watching the 3G for a while.

I had the old buy-back program with Best Buy which was expiring soon so I had to use it or loose it.

Got the S3 and Best Buy still owes me $27.00 so i couldn't pass it up.

Just FYI, in the sticks of eastern Columbus in Pataskala we are now rocking ephrd. Had to have went live within the last couple weeks. Can't wait for NV!

Also getting in the Granville/Newark area.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I certainly hope it moves along quickly as well. I live in Circleville and work in Lancaster. Lancaster has been cursed with tower issue after tower issue! I'm just about to wonder if they're holding off on NV to fix the issue. We really started noticing it when Romney came to Lancaster, so we blame him.... Certainly missing the coverage I had in Ross county (chillicothe) don't laugh either! iPCS was a llocal company who ran a CDMA network in Chillicothe and covered the whole county in great coverage and sprint has since benefited after acquiring many years ago. In Circleville we have a huge Nextel market. So sprint suffers once leaving the town limits. Can't wait to inherit some of that 800mhz so I can drop my air rave! It'd be a great Christmas present to get a new network vision update for Central Ohio soon! Ill even take it on Jan 1 lol.

i sure hope they bring lte soon my phone has wimax, and i live in newark, which is about 45 minutes away, when i am in columbus i like running speeds tests with 4g, its not bad at all usually around 7mbps, but my 3g is terrible usually around 300kbps during day hours but 1.5 mbps at night, but i should not complain a few months ago i would be lucky to get a connection at all xD.

my question is why has service gotten so terrible? sprint 3g used to consistently get me at least 1 down/0.5 up but since all of this nv talk speeds have slowed to a crawl over the past year, year and a half. at best it looks like they might have started to lay the groundwork for nv/lte last month so why the dramatic decline in service long before that?

my question is why has service gotten so terrible? sprint 3g used to consistently get me at least 1 down/0.5 up but since all of this nv talk speeds have slowed to a crawl over the past year, year and a half. at best it looks like they might have started to lay the groundwork for nv/lte last month so why the dramatic decline in service long before that?

The long answer is in about 30 different places in our forums. But the short answer is three fold:

One, the WiMax network was supposed to much larger and robust to offload a lot of data off the 3G.

Two, Sprint was spending its network money on keeping Clearwire WiMax afloat and starting Network Vision.

Three, Sprint has been losing money for along time and did not have the resources to spend upgrading on a network they were just about to start dismantling with Network Vision improvements.

However, the end of the old 3G network is near. The new 3G Network and LTE network are performing wonderfully. It looks like Sprint will be starting, completing or well underway in every market in the country by mid year.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk