Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

So i was on my way to my friends house and noticed a guy dangling from the Sprint tower across the street. Today i saw the lte antennas installed just like the pictures have shown i will try to get a picture up if i can buy good news for Columbus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If any other carriers have collocated on the same site, it was probably a new panel for another carrier.

AJ

This is not Sprint LTE. The Columbus market design was just recently completed. They are just beginning planning and permitting for this market. They will not start deployment before the end of the year.

Robert

So does this mean that planning for the rest of the third markets are finishing up or is this just Columbus that you know of as of now just wondering

All third and fourth round markets are in various stages of completing RF design and moving on to planning/zoning/permitting and then scheduling.

Robert

• Like 1

AJ is right. All the LTE panels you see are AT&T. I have seen 15 towers go up all around Toledo,OH. And I know it's not Sprint. AT&T are getting to Ohio 2nd as Verizon was 1st.

AT&T is always there to ruin the fun. I remember when I posted something similar to this 5-6 months ago. At the time we didnt have the information we do now so I got real excited to see RRU's behind antennas on some of the towers in my areas. Turns out, it was AT&T. I was mislead because I always got great Sprint signal around these AT&T towers. The reason is AT&T and Sprint share towers (the physical structure not networking hardware). The only benefit to this (from our perspective) for Sprint users is because Sprint and AT&T collocate on so many of the same towers you can look at AT&T coverage before and after the new antenna installs and get an idea of what Sprint NV will bring with additional coverage.

My sister has a T-Mobile vibrant running on AT&T. Prior to the upgrades AT&T gave us about 2~3 bars of signal in my home. Now it is always 5 bars even though her phone only supports HSPA on the 1900 band. At our cabin where there used to be no signal, she occasionally gets one bar of HSPA (comparable to the NV gains on Sprint 1900) but usually gets 2~3 bars of EDGE (comparable to Sprint NV on 800 smr 1xAdvanced as AT&T EDGE is on the cellular band).

• Like 1

This is a sprint only tower, i used to work for sprint and i had my manager look it up in glance. It is a sprint lte panel i got a kind blurry photo,

post-504-13460745078443_thumb.jpg

This is a sprint only tower' date=' i used to work for sprint and i had my manager look it up in glance. It is a sprint lte panel i got a kind blurry photo,

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

In Columbus? No way, no how.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I can attest that is what all the Sprint Towers in Columbus look like. I'm pretty sure the middle odd looking antennas are the Clearwire Wimax. While I wasn't looking for any NV equipment this past weekend, nothing jumped out at me either...

This is a sprint only tower, i used to work for sprint and i had my manager look it up in glance. It is a sprint lte panel i got a kind blurry photo,

A "Sprint only tower" with three different sets of panels? Nope, try again.

AJ

According to sprints system the top is sprint 1900 the funny one in the middle is clear 2500 wimax, and the bottom is a now decommisioned nextel site. Just telling you what the system said

I can attest that is what all the Sprint Towers in Columbus look like. I'm pretty sure the middle odd looking antennas are the Clearwire Wimax. While I wasn't looking for any NV equipment this past weekend, nothing jumped out at me either...

I don't know if our towers look different because we have wimax but sprint towers in Columbus look different than most other places i have seen sprint towers in my travels.

According to sprints system the top is sprint 1900 the funny one in the middle is clear 2500 wimax, and the bottom is a now decommisioned nextel site. Just telling you what the system said

I don't know if our towers look different because we have wimax but sprint towers in Columbus look different than most other places i have seen sprint towers in my travels.

Glance does not tell which rung on a tower and who it belongs to. I can tell by looking, that the top rung does not contain Sprint panels. What would be the legacy panels are too long for PCS. To me it looks like AT&T 850 and the new one (the larger one) is an AT&T LTE panel.

There is no Network Vision work under way in Columbus. I have access to the design schedules. They are just now completing design. It is impossible to install panels prior to having the RF design complete. Cleveland is the only market in Ohio where design has been complete for a few months. But even after design is complete, they still have to proceed with planning, material ordering, permitting, scheduling and eventually mobilization.

Even in the best case scenario, I don't see Columbus starting before the end of the year.

Robert

I will take pictures and show you the AT&T L T E ,but it will be 24 hours . trust me it's At&t

mobile EVO

let me know what tower or towers locations I have yet to see any type of work anywhere in Toledo but interested even tho it's not sprint..... yet

• 1 month later...

I havent really seen any info/dates etc. Kind a confused why they will do Cleveland area first. With Columbus being the capital/biggest city.

City limit sizes are one thing. Metro area sizes are quite another. Both Cleveland and Cincinnati are substantially larger metro areas than Columbus.

Cincinnati metro area: roughly 2.1 million people

Cleveland metro area: roughly 2.1 million but including the Akron area about 2.9 million

Columbus metro area: roughtly 1.8 million

(all of this per latest census estimates)

But all of that is irrelevant as the rollout clearly isn't going by order of decreasing population, anyway. It is starting to appear like they are just having Samsung, Ericsson and A-L siimply do whatever works best for them at the time.

City limit sizes are one thing. Metro area sizes are quite another. Both Cleveland and Cincinnati are substantially larger metro areas than Columbus.

Cleveland metro area: roughly 2.1 million but including the Akron area about 2.9 million

But all of that is irrelevant as the rollout clearly isn't going by order of decreasing population, anyway. It is starting to appear like they are just having Samsung, Ericsson and A-L siimply do whatever works best for them at the time.

Or as I interpret things, they're saving the best for last!!! Lol

Sent from my EVO LTE-LESS using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the info. I havent always lived in Ohio, but I think Columbus has more suburbs then the other cities too. You can be on a road and it will switch to another township then back to Columbus(Corp). So maybe that is how Columbus is normally listed as the biggest city. I still would of thought they would of been first due being capital and having more technology companies then the other area.Who knows though I grew up on the East Coast.

That's if you count metro areas. With just city limits, Columbus population is over twice as big as Cincinnatti and almost twice as big as Cleveland. Metro areas are always a sticky metric because some go out much further than others.

Every time I see this bumped I think that there's actually news about NV in Columbus. :(

• Like 1