Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Not enough spectrum open at the moment.

Sprint has 15mhz in PCS-B, but most of that is tied up with voice and EVDO carriers, with a small 5mhz portion cut out down the center if I'm not mistaken.

When you say 15 mhz what do you mean?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Had an interesting wireless story today...

Drove up to Lake Welch NY. We got there way too late and ended up not being able to get in the park due to it being at capacity.

So a bunch of us pull our devices out, I pull my device out (Sprint), I see 1x800, I say guys I have no signal, next guy pulls out his Tmobile device, No Service at the top of his device, then next up ATT No Service as well, and finally, the almighty Verizon, I see a 3G logo, im like ok Verizon comes through, as expected..NOPE zero data and phone would just go into a busy signal.

Unbelievably enough, my phone was the only device able to make a quick call, bring up google maps and start guidance. 

Once we get to the park (ended up trekking it out to West Nyack) Tmobile=DOA ATT=(LTE but Unusable) V=same as ATT) S=B25 CA/B26 i was hitting between 800kbs to 1mbs, enough to DJ the get together..

Sprint saves the day again!

Its crazy that I've gotten so used to people auto-sh#ting on Sprint, I was almost expecting to just grab one of the other big 3 devices and would shame Sprint.

Goes to show once again, get what works for you, and ignore the noise.

• Like 11

I have to 

Had an interesting wireless story today...

Drove up to Lake Welch NY. We got there way too late and ended up not being able to get in the park due to it being at capacity.

So a bunch of us pull our devices out, I pull my device out (Sprint), I see 1x800, I say guys I have no signal, next guy pulls out his Tmobile device, No Service at the top of his device, then next up ATT No Service as well, and finally, the almighty Verizon, I see a 3G logo, im like ok Verizon comes through, as expected..NOPE zero data and phone would just go into a busy signal.

Unbelievably enough, my phone was the only device able to make a quick call, bring up google maps and start guidance. 

Once we get to the park (ended up trekking it out to West Nyack) Tmobile=DOA ATT=(LTE but Unusable) V=same as ATT) S=B25 CA/B26 i was hitting between 800kbs to 1mbs, enough to DJ the get together..

Sprint saves the day again!

Its crazy that I've gotten so used to people auto-sh#ting on Sprint, I was almost expecting to just grab one of the other big 3 devices and would shame Sprint.

Goes to show once again, get what works for you, and ignore the noise.

You make a good point about using what works for you and in the areas that you frequent. I will say however that this past weekend up in Vermont, our Verizon lines did perform much better than our Sprint lines data wise. Verizon's voice coverage though is really not much better than Sprint's in many areas. voLTE is also significantly weaker than their CDMA coverage, which is to be expected. To be honest, if I did not have such a good discount with Verizon, it would not be worth it for the better data coverage. 

It's amazing how empty EVDO is now after all these years. When I first joined Sprint EVDO would give me 10kbps with a 1,000ms+ ping.

151f1d393337e51c95c2aa77fa8bd957.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I often turn LTE off indoors and in congested areas because EVDO generally performs better. It sounds odd considering it wasn't always usable at one point, but I'm glad it's still around.

Do the small cells in NYC register as mini macros in the new version signal check? Yesterday I was on Bleecker St in Manhattan near NYU's dorms and encountered the Sprint B41 MM indicator on SignalCheck Pro but it was my understanding that Sprint wasn't replacing Samsung Dual Mode B41 equipment just yet.

gSc3gVn.png?1

Do the small cells in NYC register as mini macros in the new version signal check? Yesterday I was on Bleecker St in Manhattan near NYU's dorms and encountered the Sprint B41 MM indicator on SignalCheck Pro but it was my understanding that Sprint wasn't replacing Samsung Dual Mode B41 equipment just yet.

gSc3gVn.png?1

Yup it is, since we cannot see what the actual equipment is under the enclosure, I think he opted to leave it as is for now.

But there is another way to verify if it's macro site or small cell, if the EARFCN is 39995 it's a small cell. Otherwise it's macro site. (Which I have yet to find in NYC, out of NYC I have found Mini macro sites)

• Like 1

Yup it is, since we cannot see what the actual equipment is under the enclosure, I think he opted to leave it as is for now.

But there is another way to verify if it's macro site or small cell, if the EARFCN is 39995 it's a small cell. Otherwise it's macro site. (Which I have yet to find in NYC, out of NYC I have found Mini macro sites)

How do I find the EARFCN?

I often turn LTE off indoors and in congested areas because EVDO generally performs better. It sounds odd considering it wasn't always usable at one point, but I'm glad it's still around.

That's pretty empty. The small cells and macro cells Sprint is deploying do they have any CDMA Hardware on them?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

That's pretty empty. The small cells and macro cells Sprint is deploying do they have any CDMA Hardware on them?

The majority of Sprint's upgrades going forward are/will be LTE-only. Mini-macros, small cells, Magic Boxes, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Macros yes small cells NO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a summer job in Midtown and every where I go I am always on B41. Occasionally I will drop to B25 or the 2nd B25 carrier. Haven't noticed B26 anywhere yet even deep inside buildings. Most of the B41 is only 2x CA due to being older Clear equipment. In the office I am working at I hit 55Mbps download and 5 to 8 Mbps upload all day long. I hope Sprint doesn't replace these Clear sites with Mini Macros and spends the extra money to put full B41 equipment up, maybe even the high capacity equipment. 3x CA would be insane. Now if only Sprint can get this sort of coverage and speeds in the rest of New york city. 

I have a summer job in Midtown and every where I go I am always on B41. Occasionally I will drop to B25 or the 2nd B25 carrier. Haven't noticed B26 anywhere yet even deep inside buildings. Most of the B41 is only 2x CA due to being older Clear equipment. In the office I am working at I hit 55Mbps download and 5 to 8 Mbps upload all day long. I hope Sprint doesn't replace these Clear sites with Mini Macros and spends the extra money to put full B41 equipment up, maybe even the high capacity equipment. 3x CA would be insane. Now if only Sprint can get this sort of coverage and speeds in the rest of New york city.

They are not going to replace those sites with Mini macros. They are already showing some signs of replacing the mini macros and clear with 8t8r in other markets. So I'd expect whatever they replace clear with will be 8t8r minimum or maybe if we are lucky 64t64r..

;-)

• Like 1

They are not going to replace those sites with Mini macros. They are already showing some signs of replacing the mini macros and clear with 8t8r in other markets. So I'd expect whatever they replace clear with will be 8t8r minimum or maybe if we are lucky 64t64r..

;-)

NYC would be a great market for 64t64r. I wonder what sprint is doing with the Mini Macros they are replacing, maybe they are being re-purpose in lower priority markets. I can't see them re-purposing Clear equipment, so that's most likely sold over seas. 

• Like 2

You’ll most likely see 2xCA-capable Clear sites replaced with either triband antennas or 8T8Rs ;).

You’ll most likely see 2xCA-capable Clear sites replaced with either triband antennas or 8T8Rs ;).

More like mini macs which is what's happening in Samsung clear regions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

More like mini macs which is what's happening in Samsung clear regions.

I was under the impression that Sprint was not swapping 2xCA capable Clear equipment out with mini macros, only the single carrier stuff?

I was under the impression that Sprint was not swapping 2xCA capable Clear equipment out with mini macros, only the single carrier stuff?

All of the non Samsung region area Samsung clear equipment is going. Vendor equipment alignment.

Also allows them to decommissioned the legacy clearwire lte cores.

• Like 1

All of the non Samsung region area Samsung clear equipment is going. Vendor equipment alignment.

Also allows them to decommissioned the legacy clearwire lte cores.

Ah didn’t know they were in the process of vendor alignment. So it sounds like Samsung clear equipment in Samsung NV markets is here to stay (until 8T8R or triband upgrades) but all other Clear markets will be getting mini macros or better?

Ah didn’t know they were in the process of vendor alignment. So it sounds like Samsung clear equipment in Samsung NV markets is here to stay (until 8T8R or triband upgrades) but all other Clear markets will be getting mini macros or better?

Yeppers. Seeing phase 2B locations that never had clear lte being converted to mini Macs now.

• Like 1

Yeppers. Seeing phase 2B locations that never had clear lte being converted to mini Macs now.

But considering all clear sites got their respective equipment would it make sense to replace the equipment with similar mini macro stuff?

The only place I've seen mini macro is outside of the city.

Cool stuff!

In Huwei markets a lot of phase 2B sites were decommissioned (sadly) but it sounds like 2Bers in other markets are finally getting targeted for upgrades. Goodie goodie goodie :).

Cool stuff!

In Huwei markets a lot of phase 2B sites were decommissioned (sadly) but it sounds like 2Bers in other markets are finally getting targeted for upgrades. Goodie goodie goodie :).

Moto/Samsung Clear (ALU/Nokia NV) market here. AFAIK nearly all of our non-redundant phase 2B sites were de-comm'd. I can only think of 2 off the top of my head that haven't been out of maybe a couple dozen I used to keep track of. :( YMMV of course.