Motorola Photon Q MMS Issue

zodiac12345

Let me start off by saying I've been a long time lurker, and this is my first time posting.

So, to the phone issue. I bought the Motorola Photon Q on Monday of this week, 8/20/12. I loved the keyboard and screen as soon as I saw it and played with it. The radios seemed very solid, and everything worked well...until I tried to send a picture message. Picture messages would simply not go through, it would remain in sending phase endlessly, and still does. I went to the store (not corporate), and told them my issue. They refreshed the profile, even refreshed the network on the Sprint side. Still, it didn't work. They replaced the phone with another new Photon Q. Well, again, MMS didn't work. I at first thought that this might an issue with Google Voice. Except, it wasn't. Disabling Google Voice didn't fix the issue. So, they called Sprint again, went through the same things. Eventually, they got to the "real" tech support. I wouldn't call them better than the original support, as they wanted the store to pull the battery out. But wait, the Photon Q doesn't have a removable battery! So, I'm the first person to have an issue with the Photon Q.

The outcome as of 8/22/12: Sprint is aware of the problem, and is fixing it. An update will be made very soon (via OTA, and we all know how fast those go :rolleyes:). The store has offered to replace my phone in exchange for the Samsung S3 (or any other phone I want), which I am still considering.

My problem: Even if an OTA comes out to fix my issue, that will be more hectic for me. Why? Because I am rooting my phone as soon as possible. An OTA will break my root. Also, another issue I am facing, if I flash a custom ROM in the future, will that ROM have the same MMS issue?

Update: Well, the good news comes at the end, I decided to try and use a different messaging application (Go SMS), other than the stock one. AND IT SOMEHOW WORKS!!! :) So, I will be keeping the Motorola Photon Q, but, I'll post this for other who may experience the same issue.

Edited by zodiac12345
  • Like 1

Let me start off by saying I've been a long time lurker, and this is my first time posting.

So, to the phone issue. I bought the Motorola Photon Q on Monday of this week, 8/20/12. I loved the keyboard and screen as soon as I saw it and played with it. The radios seemed very solid, and everything worked well...until I tried to send a picture message. Picture messages would simply not go through, it would remain in sending phase endlessly, and still does. I went to the store (not corporate), and told them my issue. They refreshed the profile, even refreshed the network on the Sprint side. Still, it didn't work. They replaced the phone with another new Photon Q. Well, again, MMS didn't work. I at first thought that this might an issue with Google Voice. Except, it wasn't. Disabling Google Voice didn't fix the issue. So, they called Sprint again, went through the same things. Eventually, they got to the "real" tech support. I wouldn't call them better than the original support, as they wanted the store to pull the battery out. But wait, the Photon Q doesn't have a removable battery! So, I'm the first person to have an issue with the Photon Q.

The outcome as of 8/22/12: Sprint is aware of the problem, and is fixing it. An update will be made very soon (via OTA, and we all know how fast those go :rolleyes:). The store has offered to replace my phone in exchange for the Samsung S3 (or any other phone I want), which I am still considering.

My problem: Even if an OTA comes out to fix my issue, that will be more hectic for me. Why? Because I am rooting my phone as soon as possible. An OTA will break my root. Also, another issue I am facing, if I flash a custom ROM in the future, will that ROM have the same MMS issue?

Update: Well, the good news comes at the end, I decided to try and use a different messaging application (Go SMS), other than the stock one. AND IT SOMEHOW WORKS!!! :) So, I will be keeping the Motorola Photon Q, but, I'll post this for other who may experience the same issue.

Thanks for the info. It must be an issue with the Moto Blur stock messaging app.

Robert

This is a recognized problem per Motorola. They are working on a fix. Expect an OTA update when they get it sorted out.

Discussion on Motorola forums: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/f36db285e5

• "Just to let users know, Motorola is aware of the MMS issue and is working on it. For the time being, as a temporary work around you can use a third party messaging app, such as Go SMS, or Handcent. I'm sure you'll be the first too know when this issue is resolved."

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a fix for this issue as per the Sprint discussion board. I have verified it has fixed my MMS problem. You will need your MSL to change a setting, if you dont have it you need to call sprint or use another method to obtain it. It appears some data profile usernames were borked during provisioning

Steps to follow:

1. Open your dial pad and dial ##3282#

2. Tap on Data Profile

3. Look at your username, mine ended in ".comom"

4. If yours is obviously wrong (like mine), fix it, save it and then reboot phone.

5. good to go.

There has been a fix for this issue as per the Sprint discussion board. I have verified it has fixed my MMS problem. You will need your MSL to change a setting, if you dont have it you need to call sprint or use another method to obtain it. It appears some data profile usernames were borked during provisioning

Steps to follow:

2. Tap on Data Profile

3. Look at your username, mine ended in ".comom"

4. If yours is obviously wrong (like mine), fix it, save it and then reboot phone.

5. good to go.

Thanks for the info! Mine is fixed now as well.

My username ended in "@sprintpcs.com.com".

I just called Sprint and told them what the issue with the username was. They gave the MSL code just like that so I could fix it, no questions asked.

Now the phone is perfect, lol. :P

• Like 2

A bit longer winded version of the fix so that folks at any level of phone knowledge can get this fixed:

• • • •

There have been problems with the Photon Q sending/receiving MMS messages widely reported in many forums.

THERE IS AN MMS PROBLEM FIX!!!

Problem: Photon Q 4G LTE unable to send MMS on 3G and 4G

Discussion: It appears that some Photon Q smartphones had the "NAI" information in their profile corrupted during the activation process, and are therefore unable to send MMS messages unless on WiFi or by using third-party applications.

Correction: Customers with this problem should call Sprint Customer Support at 888-211-4727 from a different phone, and speak to a Customer Service Representative. Tell the representative that you have a Photon Q that cannot send MMS messages, and it may be a problem with the NAI.

The CSR should be able to find their instruction page for this problem on their screens, and should be able to talk you through the steps you need to take to correct the problem. The CSR will also refresh the NAI information in Sprint's database.

Result: The device should be able to send and receive MMS messages while on WiFi, 3G, or 4G connections.

Here are the steps you will take, guided by the Sprint CSR.

Do not try this on your own unless you know what you are doing.

You CAN brick your nice new phone...

Steps to follow:

2. Tap on Data Profile

3. Review Username

The user name (NAI) has extra characters after the first ".com"

When trying to edit this info it asks for passcode (MSL code).

You have to call Sprint to get this six digit number to update the info in your phone.

They will also update your profile (PDP1) within their system (be sure to remind them).

Just did it on my Photon Q and the CSR at Sprint found the note on the problem in her system and corrected my profile username IN THEIR SYSTEM too.

Call took about two minutes.

Pass the word on other forums you are on!

(Extra Bonus: You get your MSL with no hassle.)

• Like 1