What is eHRPD?

One easy way is to get https://play.google.....maruse.cellinf (CDMA field test) from the play store and look at the data type on the 3rd line on the right.

Another easy way is netmontor https://play.google....zene.netmonitor. (0n the left tab) Both are free.

eHRPD isn't a good indicator of LTE about to pop in your area. St Louis isn't even on the in coming months list yet and I have had it since I got the Note 2 on launch day. I did have a wohooo! moment when I saw we had it though.

Thank you Robert for the detailed technical explanation.

<snip>

So, the only difference in performance between eHRPD and EVDO-A on the same site occurs at the MSC vs. the LTE core. Everything else is pretty much identical between the two. Each site in the Sprint network is tied to a very specific MSC for 1x voice and EVDO data. Sprint has dozens of MSC's scattered around the country. When that MSC experiences problems or has a logjam, it affects all the sites connected to it. And EVDO can slow down (although this is not the big culprit in Sprint 3G deterioration).

<snip>

Do you know what IS the culprit? I've always thought it's the backhaul. If not, why is 3G so slow? It can't be because Sprint has more customers connected compared to the other carriers...

Mine has always said that too. However, my eHRPD has always seemed to work fine. So I've never thought anything of it.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mine has always said that too. However, my eHRPD has always seemed to work fine. So I've never thought anything of it.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

OK Thanks. I wasn't sure. Everything seems to work fine.

OK Thanks. I wasn't sure. Everything seems to work fine.

Most likely placeholder naming that was never changed after the fix was put in place. The engineering screens aren't meant for the average user to access. They often have spelling errors as well from my experience over the years.

A good example is all Samsung Android devices for a while had an app called "Let's try, panning!" that controlled the motion functionality, I assume, on the devices.

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed ehrpd in knoxville, Sevierville latley. No difference in speeds but 3g speed in this area are pretty good anyway. Knoxville use to not be but about a few months ago it has really sped up. I'm waiting on 4g to just to say I have it but will probably keep it off mostly as i hear it is a battery killer. I have never really had a problem with sprint and I think they are much cheaper than att/verizon and if you get good 3g speeds than it is a better deal. Also I have called sprint a few times or accounts and other thing and i tell you what, They might lie to you but they are always nice in doing so. Always an english speaking rep and extremely nice I guess thats one good thing Dan Hesse did. Anyway I think here in knox we will see 4g lte soon even if its limited at first.

• Like 2

They might lie to you but they are always nice in doing so.

This is a great quote. Brought a smile to my face. :tu:

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just rooted my galaxy nexus and installed some ROM called EOS which came with CDMATools. I snooped in there and saw that eHRPD was off. Should I turn this on? My phone connects to lte just fine with it off but maybe there maybe some benefit I don't know about. Looking for anyone who has insight. Thanks.

Edited by spacesurfer

I just rooted my galaxy nexus and installed some ROM called EOS which came with CDMATools. I snooped in there and saw that eHRPD was off. Should I turn this on? My phone connects to lte just fine with it off but maybe there maybe some benefit I don't know about. Looking for anyone who has insight. Thanks.

Yes, my friend with a Galaxy Nexus has a much easier time handing off between eHRPD to LTE than without. CM10.1 had eHRPD disabled by default for a long time up until recently.

• 2 months later...

Hi i have a Htc Evo 3d how do i check if im gettin EHRPD? like what button combo or whatever!

only lte capable phones can get it

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

How do you quote i see the thing called quote and mutiquote but it doesnt seem to work... anyways how would u check if ur phone is on ehrpd or if u r getting 800 signal!

try signalcheck from play store, it will tell u if you are connected to 800 or not. As far as quote, its fine for me. :-P

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

May I ask a question?  I looked all over these threads, but could nor find the answer, unless I overlooked something.

What frequency is eHRPD on?  Is it 1900 MHz or 800 MHz? 

That's all I am receiving with my new Tri Band LG G2 until the fallback issue is rectified.  I'm just curious. 

Thanks!

May I ask a question?  I looked all over these threads, but could nor find the answer, unless I overlooked something.

What frequency is eHRPD on?  Is it 1900 MHz or 800 MHz? 

That's all I am receiving with my new Tri Band LG G2 until the fallback issue is rectified.  I'm just curious. 

Thanks!

eHRPD runs on PCS/1900Mhz, it is just a software overlay for EvDO Rev A to allow "seamless" communication between CDMA and LTE

• 2 weeks later...

If i'm on eHRPD does that mean my area will get LTE in the near future?

Before I used to always be on EVDO-A but now usually on eHRPD except some areas. It makes the network usable.

Yes, eHRPD is a good indication that LTE is on the way in the near future.