Network Vision/LTE - Miami/West Palm Market

Mondays In Flames

Ive stood about 100ft from a B41 site @ 2am and have never seen it go over 78mbs...

And from what ive seen that is just about as fast as it goes under near perfect conditions. 

This speed test is well above any other user reported one (assuming its not a Speedtest fluke) and is not really within margin of error. 

There is no "wall" at 80 mbps.

It's just the fact that there are always load of some type on the B41 carriers  along variable backhaul and reception that precludes it of getting anywhere near the theoretical maxReal world speeds for all carriers are almost always substantially lower than theoretical. 

So higher MIMO would not get us any closer to that theoretical max more often than not everything created equal...

Higher order mimo increases edge of cell reception and signal quality which translates to higher speeds thanks to better reception.

Backhaul provisioning, reception, and load still matters to speeds.

• Like 1

I've been in south Florida mainly for the last couple of weeks, and have been keeping an eye on scp like any good s4gru geek would. I'll post some more of my observations later, but for now, this is the first band 26 LTE I've seen. This was near a major highway in the greater ft. Lauderdale area.

f07e2859c858eac4ac1df685ac415fb0.jpg

And the speed test

641b1e7f74caec1adfa9daa2b3caaee0.jpg

It was obviously at low power, as I was getting 7-10dbm worse than band 25 from the same site, but I did connect to it from 2 different sectors on band 26, and was pushed back and forth from 25 to 26 a bunch of times. Hopefully that's the beginnings of the band 26 floodgates in south Florida!

• Like 3

My observations from my town in South Florida (doing a fair bit of driving up and down the state visiting family):

I was shocked by how pervasive Band 41 is deployed, especially along the highways. I-95 from the heart of Miami to I-595 was wall to wall Clearwire B41 at very high signal levels (rare to get worse than -100dbm). Speed tests showed mostly unburdened sites with good backhaul, with an occasional clunker.

I-75 from Miami to 595 was covered by about 60% B41 Clearwire sites. I didn't drop to 3g at all with my nexus 5, but I the band 25 sites were almost universally overloaded when I tried to use them. The turnpike was a bit better, maybe 75% band 41 coverage along the Ft. Lauderdale-Maimi stretch.

Off the highways was far more problematic in miami/ft. lauderdale. I saw a mix of band 25, Clear b41, and Sprint b41. There are a number of areas where LTE drops all together, or where B25 barely reaches. Regardless, if you're on b25 down here, in my experience (and from talking with friends and family that use it) things are going to be spotty at best. Some pretty important places (Like Sawgrass Mills Mall) are still without even 3g acceptances, and are predictably horrible places to use wireless.

As I drove further north toward Boynton Beach I started finding more Sprint B41, even off the highways. There are enough B41 towers to give great service about half the time, and enough overloaded b25/not far reaching enough b25 to make it pretty bad the rest of the time. Maybe b26 will do enough to make things more consistent.. time will tell I guess.

Overall things are hugely improved from a year ago when I was down here last, but still frustratingly inconsistent. God help you if you're on a uniband device here..

• Like 4

I-75 from Miami to 595 was covered by about 60% B41 Clearwire sites. I didn't drop to 3g at all with my nexus 5, but I the band 25 sites were almost universally overloaded when I tried to use them. 

Regardless, if you're on b25 down here, in my experience (and from talking with friends and family that use it) things are going to be spotty at best. 

Tell me about it!  I work right off I-75.  B25, when it works, gets me at best about 950k but mostly its 3g sppeds at a horrid 150k, (can't even stream music at my desk).  I really need B26 to be live!  I am excited to see that B26 is going live before the FCC date of the 21st!  Sadly, once I walk outside I get blazing fast speeds on B41. It just feels like such a tease of what this network can be. 

769c1a3372c86c79f3010c92955dc055.jpg

21ee85c1cc1c1eb01f8df1fa659317d5.jpg

What up, new here but have been a long lurker of this thread. I just recently caught these screen shots of 1x800 at my house. It was consistent for a good 10 minutes, when it usually just lasts 2-4 seconds and drops back to 1xRTT. Anyone knows the reasoning this could happen and why it just doesn't stay on 1x800?

Edited by ttwiitch

While B26 is not scheduled to be up till after the 21st (thanks to Miami Dade County not being ready for the rebrand), I believe 1x800 is starting to come up live in South Florida (since it requires a much smaller space in the 800 band than LTE 800).  Hopefully this means they are optimizing the 800 mhz band and preparing for B26.  I haven't caught 1x800 in the Biscayne corridor (probably since there are plenty of 1900mhz towers near me and I connect easily).  

WooHoo... I know someone posted in Ft Laud but this is the first i see down in Miami. With the low speed it may not be optimized yet.

Definitely not optimized. And depending how many phones are trying to connect to that sites, and how many sites around it are b26 activated.... I'm surprised you got those speeds. Should even up once more sites come online, and even more when optimization occurs.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk