Cracked My Screen

echo4papa

Cracked my glass in 4 spots thanks to a minor 2 foot drop onto the hardwood floors. It must have landed just right. It's actually not too distracting, but I need to get it fixed.

Is anyone here familiar with Best Buy's black tie service? I suppose they will send it out to be repaired, but if the phone was bent and irreparable, would they just replace it for me on the spot?

Well, Best Buy has restored my faith. I had some issues dealing with them and my new EVO preorder and that caused me to stop going to the Best Buy in Daytona. I started visiting the BB in Sanford instead, and they have been top notch.

I dropped my broken phone off yesterday, they called this evening with my replacement ready. Got to the store and the new replacement wouldn't power up, nor charge. I figured they would have to send it back out again, but the kid that helped me the night before swapped the broken replacement out for a brand new evo.

Well, Best Buy has restored my faith. I had some issues dealing with them and my new EVO preorder and that caused me to stop going to the Best Buy in Daytona. I started visiting the BB in Sanford instead, and they have been top notch.

I dropped my broken phone off yesterday, they called this evening with my replacement ready. Got to the store and the new replacement wouldn't power up, nor charge. I figured they would have to send it back out again, but the kid that helped me the night before swapped the broken replacement out for a brand new evo.

I hope you remembered to perform a hard reset before you took it to them, you don't want your personal information sitting in a draw at some bestbuy.

Minor glitch...

Your Google prepaid funds are tied to your phone. If you swap devices you have to call Google to get that balance transferred.

Bonus: Because Best Buy ended up replacing my phone with a new phone, not a refurbished phone, I get the free $10 credit from Google again!

Of course I did, especially with Google Wallet on the phone.

That's good. It just amazes me how many people take such a thing for granted when it comes to turning in a phone.

Minor glitch...

Your Google prepaid funds are tied to your phone. If you swap devices you have to call Google to get that balance transferred.

Bonus: Because Best Buy ended up replacing my phone with a new phone, not a refurbished phone, I get the free $10 credit from Google again!

Exactly what happen with me. Called the number and within 24 hours everything was transferred. I went thru Asurion in my phone replacement.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Exactly what happen with me. Called the number and within 24 hours everything was transferred. I went thru Asurion in my phone replacement.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

The only thing they won't transfer is the promotional funds they give you for activating the phone. :(

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

True' date=' but if it's a new phone you get as a replacement, you get the 10 promotional credit again, so in my case,I made out.[/quote']

I spent my whole promotional credit before I mailed the phone out, lol.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Asurion has no phones and I have been on the back order list for a week. Patiently waiting for a phone. I have a cracked outer glass. These can be repaired for 25.00 based on my research. However Sprint is no longer doing phone repairs. They are now also into screwing the customer business. They take a phone like my 1 month old new phone with a cracked screen, and have you send it to them for 150.00 in exchange for a refurbished phone. They then refurbish your cracked screen for pennies, and resell it for 150.00 to the next guy. I prefer my phone to be repaired rather than to get a refurbished phone, because in the past every refurbished phone that I got were "****".

They are telling people that you can get a repair for phones, but they are not telling you that cracked screens will not be repaired, because they can make money off of you by repairing you phone for pennies and telling you that you will be provided with a new phone or a comparable phone if yours is not in stock. Well I am still waiting, and when I asked why not repair my cracked screen since I have found parts on Amazon for 25.00 the technician told me they were told that Sprint makes money through Asurion exchanges.

Don't for a minute think that digitizers cost lots of money to repair. If it cost less than 100 to build an iPhone new SG III will cost about the same to build okay. Insurance is now the way for business, and carriers to scam us for money after building hype about how much a phone cost to sell, or repair based on profit margins. I don't know about you but when I cracked my EVO I paid 35.00 for screen repair and after I found how cheap it was to repair it I dropped my insurance.

I believe that many people were doing just as I have in regards to repairs. Soooo, now they have taken a 25.00 repair and turned it into a 125.00 profit. The last time that I complained about signal reception for my "Photon" they tried to tell me I needed a new phone, when in fact signal was poor due to network vision. It seemed like the techs just wanted to trick me into going to Asurion for a new phone.

Go ahead make money but the need to stop being greedy is upon the carriers. I pay 600.00 a year for car insurance that covers thousands of dollars in damages and repair, yet insurance for a 500.00 phone is $120.00 a year. Anybody see where I am going here? $600.00 yearly for $300,000 in coverage vs $120.00 for $549.00 in coverage's and with a loss is $270.00 out of pocket vs $1100.00 out of pocket in a case of accident coverage. I am still waiting for my new phone Sprint/Asurion.

What a scam! Yes it may be a better scam than BB, or whom ever but you are still being scammed okay!

Update: Apparently, they transferred my entire balance, including what was left of my original promotional balance ($1.69), plus as I pointed out above, I got another $10 promotional credit because my replacement phone was a new phone, not refurbished.

Qwikstrike, why don't you take your phone to a local repair shop and get it fixed on your own? It's probably cheaper than paying the $150 deductible. I used to refuse getting insurance on my phone because of those large deductibles. The only reason I got it this time is the lack of deductible through BB.

Also, as far as the cost of insurance goes, you pay a lot more (relatively) for your cell phone coverage because you are a lot more apt to use that coverage than you are likely to get into an auto accident. It's not based solely on coverage amounts, but also frequency and severity factors.

That's good. It just amazes me how many people take such a thing for granted when it comes to turning in a phone.

The collective stupidity of the general population has ceased to amaze me. People are ignorant of a lot of things that impact their daily lives, especially electronic data. It's partly their fault, but also, with the rate that things have changed over the past 30 years in terms of technology, it's hard to blame them completely.

Update: Apparently, they transferred my entire balance, including what was left of my original promotional balance ($1.69), plus as I pointed out above, I got another $10 promotional credit because my replacement phone was a new phone, not refurbished.

Qwikstrike, why don't you take your phone to a local repair shop and get it fixed on your own? It's probably cheaper than paying the $150 deductible. I used to refuse getting insurance on my phone because of those large deductibles. The only reason I got it this time is the lack of deductible through BB.

Also, as far as the cost of insurance goes, you pay a lot more (relatively) for your cell phone coverage because you are a lot more apt to use that coverage than you are likely to get into an auto accident. It's not based solely on coverage amounts, but also frequency and severity factors.

I think it has to be approved for repair for if things back fire you may have a voided warranty. I just wish they gave better options for cases where the phone can be repaired with minor issues rather than try to rake you over the coals for a outer cracked glass!

As I have stated before if I could get it repaired I would be happy, but it must be an approved repair shop you the warranty is void!

That really sucks. I would cut off that warranty, get the glass fixed cheap, and find a good case for the phone. Pay yourself instead of the warranty and use that money to pay for needed repairs or to buy something off Craigslist if you destroy your phone.

Being without my phone, even though it was only for one day, made me realize just how integrated this Evo is into my daily life. Outside of being my social outlet (phone, texting, Facebook etc.), it's also my:

• alarm clock
  • source for daily news
  • media hub during my morning commute via blue tooth streaming in my new car
  • entertainment (games and reading) during my daily... deposits
  • camera
  • gps
  • wallet (for my morning coffee at 7-11 plus other things)
  • ATM (I can deposit checks via my Navy Federal App, which is good since I don't live near a Navy Fed branch)

I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but the Google Wallet, Navy Fed App and Blue Tooth music streaming in the car are the biggest of the bunch.

That really sucks. I would cut off that warranty, get the glass fixed cheap, and find a good case for the phone. Pay yourself instead of the warranty and use that money to pay for needed repairs or to buy something off Craigslist if you destroy your phone.

Got a good case, but came in after I crack the screen rofl! The phone is sooo slippery with out a case too!

Asurion has no phones and I have been on the back order list for a week. Patiently waiting for a phone. I have a cracked outer glass. These can be repaired for 25.00 based on my research. However Sprint is no longer doing phone repairs. They are now also into screwing the customer business. They take a phone like my 1 month old new phone with a cracked screen, and have you send it to them for 150.00 in exchange for a refurbished phone. They then refurbish your cracked screen for pennies, and resell it for 150.00 to the next guy. I prefer my phone to be repaired rather than to get a refurbished phone, because in the past every refurbished phone that I got were "****".

Get it fixed by a local repair shop.

They are telling people that you can get a repair for phones, but they are not telling you that cracked screens will not be repaired, because they can make money off of you by repairing you phone for pennies and telling you that you will be provided with a new phone or a comparable phone if yours is not in stock. Well I am still waiting, and when I asked why not repair my cracked screen since I have found parts on Amazon for 25.00 the technician told me they were told that Sprint makes money through Asurion exchanges.

Sprint doesn't make money, Assurian might...

Don't for a minute think that digitizers cost lots of money to repair. If it cost less than 100 to build an iPhone new SG III will cost about the same to build okay. Insurance is now the way for business, and carriers to scam us for money after building hype about how much a phone cost to sell, or repair based on profit margins. I don't know about you but when I cracked my EVO I paid 35.00 for screen repair and after I found how cheap it was to repair it I dropped my insurance.

Actually, it costs $203 to build the iPhone 4S and economies of scale are significantly more when you are buying a few repair parts instead of millions of the same part for a production run.

I believe that many people were doing just as I have in regards to repairs. Soooo, now they have taken a 25.00 repair and turned it into a 125.00 profit. The last time that I complained about signal reception for my "Photon" they tried to tell me I needed a new phone, when in fact signal was poor due to network vision. It seemed like the techs just wanted to trick me into going to Asurion for a new phone.

Yes, techs are trying to trick you[/sarcasm], they probably just wanted to get you out of their face about the phone being "broken" when there was nothing wrong with it.

Go ahead make money but the need to stop being greedy is upon the carriers. I pay 600.00 a year for car insurance that covers thousands of dollars in damages and repair, yet insurance for a 500.00 phone is $120.00 a year. Anybody see where I am going here? $600.00 yearly for $300,000 in coverage vs $120.00 for $549.00 in coverage's and with a loss is $270.00 out of pocket vs $1100.00 out of pocket in a case of accident coverage. I am still waiting for my new phone Sprint/Asurion.

This is not even close to a relevant comparison.

What a scam! Yes it may be a better scam than BB, or whom ever but you are still being scammed okay!

Sprint doesn't force you to use the insurance they provide, and just because Sprint used to provide screen replacement, doesn't mean that they are screwing the customer that they stopped. There are businesses in most towns that specialize in phone/ipod/device repair and can replace your screen for about the same cost. You are free to go without insurance and bank the money you would otherwise pay to insurance, then use that money to buy a new device or pay for repair. With all the fraud going on with people saying their phone was stolen or lost so they can get an upgrade, there is good reason these companies are soaking the honest customers that just want their phone repaired. They need to make money.

-Maybe one day unicef will get into the insurance business... -Kevin Nealon

• Like 3

Get it fixed by a local repair shop.

[/size][/font][/color]

Sprint doesn't make money, Assurian might...

Actually, it costs $203 to build the iPhone 4S and economies of scale are significantly more when you are buying a few repair parts instead of millions of the same part for a production run.

Yes, techs are trying to trick you[/sarcasm], they probably just wanted to get you out of their face about the phone being "broken" when there was nothing wrong with it.

This is not even close to a relevant comparison.

Sprint doesn't force you to use the insurance they provide, and just because Sprint used to provide screen replacement, doesn't mean that they are screwing the customer that they stopped. There are businesses in most towns that specialize in phone/ipod/device repair and can replace your screen for about the same cost. You are free to go without insurance and bank the money you would otherwise pay to insurance, then use that money to buy a new device or pay for repair. With all the fraud going on with people saying their phone was stolen or lost so they can get an upgrade, there is good reason these companies are soaking the honest customers that just want their phone repaired. They need to make money.

-Maybe one day unicef will get into the insurance business... -Kevin Nealon

I don't wish to get in a pissing contest, and appreciate your opinion, but when they stop repairing screens for $35.00 in lieu of forcing you to turn a new phone in that needs from "my" research $25.00 in replacement cost parts for a "refurbished" phone and $150.00 deductible seems a bit suspect to me. I truly believe that with any partnership rendered there is always reciprocity by both parties. The fact that they don't tell you that they will not be repairing phones when they have it writing that the phone will be repaired or replaced is deceptive especially when they never intend on repairing phones from the start.

The point about fraud and such definitely is a valid point. However; I have not been a fan of insurance because of past deceptions from "Sprint". This is not to bash them but to air disappointment in a fair reasonable expectation as a 15 year customer. I have paid $700.00 for phones in the past and when they failed with in months of use have them replaced with old inferior replacements! The need to make money should not cause them stoop to making money by deception.

Sprint does not force you to use insurance but, they promise that the phone will be repaired, or replaced if it can not be repaired. They go on to say that if said phone can not be repaired, nor replaced with a new one an equal stand in would be offered to offset the loss for $11.00 a month. Now to say Sprint has nothing to do with these plans would be ridiculous because they are selling those plans to customers, and it is their partnership. As some one who sold insurance and securities licensed they are "probably" making money form Asurion whether you believe it or not as agent type relationship. As long as I get what's promised I do not care about this as well.

Insurance law states for "consideration" "money offered" the insurer promises to make whole the insured in case of loss as per the words clearly expressed in declaration clause. Any ambiguity in said declaration clause in a court of law goes to the insured if subrogation is chosen by a neutral arbiter.

As far as techs getting me out of their face, I have a decent amount of technical awareness and I don't cry wolf or look for free hand outs. The Network vision project was causing red circles for days with LOS, and 1- 2 day delayed text, and 3 hours no service that no one could call my phone including a call from a Sprint CS supervisor and the Supervisor tech on a phone told me that I had to go to a tech center to get the phone checked. To me that was a waste of time because the phone worked in most every area besides where I lived. Your sarcasm is unwarranted but you are entitled to your thoughts. Sprint did not come clean about the issue until I got a tech on the phone through complaints that should not have to happen when they new they were having service issues! I am sure you can appreciate where I am coming from with this as well.

As a reasonable prudent person I would expect the phone to be able to be repaired or replaced in a fair amount of time like expressed in the declaration contract. However when Sprint decides not to repair a phone in lieu of an Asurion insurance replacement that is their prerogative. But please understand that they can't do this in the middle of the contract that states that they agree to make repairs when they never intended on making repairs. I hope you can appreciate where I am coming from here with this....it is deceptive when a technician at a Corporate store validates this.

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE