Google, AppleID, Twitter, etc comprimised via social engineering and poor policies

jefbal99

Wow, this is a crazy story of how an entire digital identity was taken over and deleted just to get a twitter handle and spew crap from it. This guy lost everything because of poor security practices on his accounts and via Amazon and Apple support.

I suggest that you update your Google account to require two factor authentication (and Facebook if you use that too) to protect your online identity.

How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

Yeah, I just had my iPod stolen and when I called crapple it was beyond easy to get into my account even though I hadn't accessed it in a long time. Then the guy couldn't do anything to assist me in even finding out if the thief was even using it, let alone buying stuff. I better close my account.

From CM10 Toro on Forum Runner

Been using the 2 part auth with google for a while. Kind of a pain sometimes but I feel it is worth the little bit of effort.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I've used it on Facebook for awhile, didn't know about it on Google until this article. It's enabled now and all my password have been updated/strengthened

Sent from my CM9 Transformer TF101 using Forum Runner

Been using the 2 part auth with google for a while. Kind of a pain sometimes but I feel it is worth the little bit of effort.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I feel exactly the same way. When I hit the 2 part auth I get annoyed but it quickly passes as I remember that it's there for my protection. I also use LastPass for password management and generating strong random passwords. This way I change them regularly and never have to worry about remembering them.

• Like 1