Network Vision/LTE - Philadelphia Metro Market (including Lehigh Valley/Reading)

HappyHappy

Thanks for the info. This corroborates the schedule. We just haven't seen any sites go live yet. Should be soon, then.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I'm starting to hold to my original belief that Sprint is now even hiding some completed sites even from your source. Either that, or they are being really picky on what to accept and their are a ton of towers that will go online right at the end of the year so they meet their 12,000 tower target.

Or the 3rd scenario: Your source is going to dump a bunch on you all at one time just to make your work 100x harder to push out a map update the same day he sends the completed sites to you, :lol:

Personally, I think they are being picky on what they accept.

I'm starting to hold to my original belief that Sprint is now even hiding some completed sites even from your source. Either that, or they are being really picky on what to accept and their are a ton of towers that will go online right at the end of the year so they meet their 12,000 tower target.

Or the 3rd scenario: Your source is going to dump a bunch on you all at one time just to make your work 100x harder to push out a map update the same day he sends the completed sites to you, :lol:

Personally, I think they are being picky on what they accept.

There has not been a lot of variability in people finding a lot of sites out there operational that are not on our maps. And when they do, they usually show up in the update in a week or two.

The only sites that have not shown up in an update yet are the Cupertino sites. But since they are triple verified, I have added them. And now the Livermore site.

Robert

• 1 month later...

Just kidding, just realized you weren't talking about Allentown, PA in the Pittsburgh area. Why does PA let two municipalities have the same name!

Edited by izick

I've never had an issue in South/Center City Philly with speeds. As I mentioned in another thread, last week I noticed that everywhere I traveled in the Lehigh Valley was connected via eHRPD. Only reason I mention this is because it's the same market as Philly. I imagine the same should be true for there.

How is the 3G in philly though, is it usable for most normal consumers or is it abysmal?

I'm in West Philly and my 3G is barely usable. Most I can hope for is wifi; other than that I may as well leave my phone in my pocket.

I've been roaming since yesterday in an area I shouldn't be. I happened to drive by the tower and there were a bunch of trucks parked there. On my way back I stopped and spoke briefly with a gentleman who said he was the electrician. He told me I was roaming because the tower is shut down. He said he was there to shut everything down so the guys from Alcatel Lucent could work on the cabinets for the network upgrades they are starting in the area. The Alcatel Lucent guys were busy working in the fenced in area.

• Like 3

I've been roaming since yesterday in an area I shouldn't be. I happened to drive by the tower and there were a bunch of trucks parked there. On my way back I stopped and spoke briefly with a gentleman who said he was the electrician. He told me I was roaming because the tower is shut down. He said he was there to shut everything down so the guys from Alcatel Lucent could work on the cabinets for the network upgrades they are starting in the area. The Alcatel Lucent guys were busy working in the fenced in area.

Try to get pictures when you can of the new panels!

• Like 1

Some sites have to be hot-swapped. When that happens, they have to take down the site and do the conversion. Hot swaps are usually required for sites when they do not have room for two sets of base station cabinets (or in a few cases, do not have room for the doubled up panels). About 20% of sites require a hot-swap.

Robert

• Like 1

Try to get pictures when you can of the new panels!

I am assuming they haven't put the new panels up yet since NV is just starting around here but thought I would post these (since I know absolutely nothing about panels) to make sure and then I will keep an eye out for changes.

IMAG0369.jpg

IMAG0375.jpg

It's hard to get good pictures. I can get close but there are trees and the fact that the panels go around the water tower makes the panels spread out and blend in with the tower.

Sorry for double post...

Robert' date=' if a site is hot-swapped, any idea how long would you expect it to be down?[/quote']

Seems to be only a few days. A week at the most, and only if something goes wrong. They really plan out hot swaps well in advance to make sure everything is onsite and as much prep work as possible is done to minimize the downtime.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Sounds like what's going on here. I called Sprint last night, the person I spoke with told me to call back if my service is not back up by late next week.

I don't mind roaming if my calls and texts would come through reasonably well but alas... I just have to remember why.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in South Philly and the 3G is meh...Center City it either works or it doesn't...at least the WiFi is decent.

I just wish there was a date (on or around) the LTE would be up...

I was originally told when I bought my GNex back in May that the LTE would be up by the end of the summer, then it moved to November then to January now I read March...

I called Sprint just to see which month they would say & the guy told me my LTE should be working because they're "using Verizon's towers".... :rofl:

would just like to use what I paid for....

I would figure Sprint would wanna bang out all the larger cities first...LA, NYC, Chicago, Philly, etc...in the big cities there's alot more money to make than in a small suburb of 3,000 people...

anyway....the wait continues...

I'm in South Philly and the 3G is meh...Center City it either works or it doesn't...at least the WiFi is decent.

I was originally told when I bought my GNex back in May that the LTE would be up by the end of the summer' date=' then it moved to November then to January now I read March...

I called Sprint just to see which month they would say & the guy told me my LTE should be working because they're "using Verizon's towers".... :rofl:

I would figure Sprint would wanna bang out all the larger cities first...LA, NYC, Chicago, Philly, etc...in the big cities there's alot more money to make than in a small suburb of 3,000 people...

anyway....the wait continues...[/quote']

You market is actively being deployed. If you become a Sponsor, you can see weekly update maps that show the sites completed in the Philly market.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

I was originally told when I bought my GNex back in May that the LTE would be up by the end of the summer, then it moved to November then to January now I read March...

anyway....the wait continues...

Funny though because sites are live in NYC, Chicago, and LA which leaves the question is Philly really that big?

Just kidding!

Sure enough you'll see LTE any second now.