Global Roaming for Galaxy S3 Sprint Model

at1988

So as people know, Verizon, also a CDMA carrier, is going to issue an OTA update which will let Galaxy S3 owners take their phones around the world, including to GSM countries. I called up Sprint and asked them: if Sprint wanted to, could they do the same, and the guy told me that if they wanted to, they could. Now LTE is a GSM based technology, which means that any LTE phone has GSM capabilities either enabled or disabled in part. I switched from a Photon, which I still own, in part knowing that this could happen. But the Photon doesn't have LTE or SVDO. The GS3 does have a SIM card, but the plastic cover in the battery case covers, or embeds it.

I found a petition online seeking to encourage Sprint to do the same. Shouldn't this be a part of the Network Vision, to give customers as many reasons to stay with Sprint as possible?

• Like 1

Correction: LTE isn't GSM. It is a 3GPP standard, sure, along with HSPA. But saying that it's like GSM is like saying WiFi is like WiMAX because they are both IEEE 802.x standards.

I too hope that the S3 gets its HSPA radio unlocked. However I'm not even sure the phone on Sprint has that radio inside.

Correction: LTE isn't GSM. It is a 3GPP standard, sure, along with HSPA. But saying that it's like GSM is like saying WiFi is like WiMAX because they are both IEEE 802.x standards.

I too hope that the S3 gets its HSPA radio unlocked. However I'm not even sure the phone on Sprint has that radio inside.

Its the same physical device across carriers, minus the firmware and the covered SIM card in the Sprint one, per a Sprint representative. And we know people hacked the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to accept GSM. A radio is simply firmware, like if one wants to make a Photon work on ATT/Tmobile, they flash a radio and unlocking the bootloader, etc.

LTE IS GSM based: "Long Term Evolution (LTE), is the latest standard in the mobile network technology tree that produced the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSxPA network technologies."

Hence why Sprint and Verizon LTE phones have SIM cards: Sprint just tries to literally cover them up.

It would make perfect sense for Sprint to allow global roaming, especially if the SIM card is sealed under plastic: we could go overseas, they'd collect on roaming. This

Edited by at1988

It is not the same device across carriers. Sprint Verizon and AT&T all have different LTE setups in each phone.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

But aren't the actual chipsets and capabilities the same? I was under the impression that the problems are more related to antennas than to the actual capabilities of the unit.

But aren't the actual chipsets and capabilities the same? I was under the impression that the problems are more related to antennas than to the actual capabilities of the unit.

They should be the same basic SOC with the same capabilities, but as you said, if the antennas PA's etc aren't there, they can't open up global roaming.

Its the same physical device across carriers, minus the firmware and the covered SIM card in the Sprint one, per a Sprint representative. And we know people hacked the Verizon Galaxy Nexus to accept GSM. A radio is simply firmware, like if one wants to make a Photon work on ATT/Tmobile, they flash a radio and unlocking the bootloader, etc.

No, just no. Too many superficially knowledgable techies seem to think that any problem is fixable in software, that any technology can be reduced to the size of a microchip.

Yes, all domestic Galaxy S3 models are based on the same Qualcomm MSM8960 chipset, which contains a multimode 3GPP/3GPP2 LTE capable modem. But far more than just modem, airlink and band/band class capability require compatible power amps, filters, and antennas -- physical things that cannot be replicated in software and are a bit larger than microchips.

As Scott points out above, Samsung has submitted to the FCC four different Galaxy S3 LTE versions for VZW, AT&T, Sprint, and USCC. Maybe all of those versions contain the same power amps, filters, and antennas to support LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 17, and 25. But that is quite unlikely, and the onus is on you to prove your claim that they contain all the same hardware.

LTE IS GSM based: "Long Term Evolution (LTE), is the latest standard in the mobile network technology tree that produced the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSxPA network technologies."

No, wrong again. LTE is an OFDMA airlink with an all IP core. GSM and W-CDMA are neither. That 3GPP developed LTE as an evolutionary path for GSM/W-CDMA and other carriers does not make it GSM, nor GSM based. Anything otherwise is GSM cartel propaganda.

AJ

• Like 3

No, just no. Too many superficially knowledgable techies seem to think that any problem is fixable in software, that any technology can be reduced to the size of a microchip.

Yes, all domestic Galaxy S3 models are based on the same Qualcomm MSM8960 chipset, which contains a multimode 3GPP/3GPP2 LTE capable modem. But far more than just modem, airlink and band/band class capability require compatible power amps, filters, and antennas -- physical things that cannot be replicated in software and are a bit larger than microchips.

As Scott points out above, Samsung has submitted to the FCC four different Galaxy S3 LTE versions for VZW, AT&T, Sprint, and USCC. Maybe all of those versions contain the same power amps, filters, and antennas to support LTE bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 17, and 25. But that is quite unlikely, and the onus is on you to prove your claim that they contain all the same hardware.

No, wrong again. LTE is an OFDMA airlink with an all IP core. GSM and W-CDMA are neither. That 3GPP developed LTE as an evolutionary path for GSM/W-CDMA and other carriers does not make it GSM, nor GSM based. Anything otherwise is GSM cartel propaganda.

AJ

I spoke on the phone with a Sprint representative, who told me to my ear that if Sprint wanted to, they could issue an update. Also, it would likely cost Samsung too much to make 6 actually-different variations, when in reality (minus the Sprint embedded SIM) there are only 3: T/S/VZ/USC, International, and T-Mobile USA. Are you gonna tell me that now, the GS3 doesn't have a SIM card just because Sprint covered it up?

I spoke on the phone with a Sprint representative' date=' who told me to my ear that if Sprint wanted to, they could issue an update. Also, it would likely cost Samsung too much to make 6 actually-different variations, when in reality (minus the Sprint embedded SIM) there are only 3: T/S/VZ/USC, International, and T-Mobile USA. Are you gonna tell me that now, the GS3 doesn't have a SIM card just because Sprint covered it up?[/quote']

Sprint reps have a tendency to just tell you what they think you want to hear to get you off the phone.

It wouldn't cost Samsung much to make 6 different versions. They probably make close to 50 variants of the original Galaxy S and there were a ton of Galaxy S2 variants. Just because the case is the same doesn't make the internals the same.

Nobody is saying that there isn't a Sim card. We are saying that if it lacks the filters power amplifiers and antennas to be compatible with international frequencies, it doesn't matter if the chip set is capable of GSM transmit/receive, it will not work internationally. Sprint has an extra band for CDMA (800SMR) above what Verizon has. Adding that to Sprint's version of the GS3 may have forced Samsung to pull the internals to support 900/1800/2100 out of the phone.

pyroscott,

when the HTC Rezound and the LG Spectrum came out on Verizon, no one knew or thought they had global roaming capabilities. But when it was found out then the cat got out of the bag. S

when the HTC Rezound and the LG Spectrum came out on Verizon, no one knew or thought they had global roaming capabilities. But when it was found out then the cat got out of the bag. S

And none of that is relevant. You can point to latent international roaming capabilities in other handsets all you want, but those handsets are not the Sprint variant Galaxy S3. Thus, those handsets and their internals tell us nothing definitive about the Galaxy S3 and its internals. Sure, the Sprint variant Galaxy S3, like the VZW variant, probably does incorporate some international roaming capability -- that seems likely. But FCC authorization does not extend to bands/band classes used internationally, so FCC authorization docs typically make no mention of those capabilities. As such, we have no direct confirmation right now of international roaming capability; your assumption that it does is only that -- an assumption.

AJ

• Like 1

pyroscott' date='

Why would Sprint want to hide it? The sim card is embedded, making all the roaming go through Sprint. That is more money for them if it is enabled.

Not all LTE handsets are guaranteed to be international roaming capable. Verizon has had a lot of their recent handsets be capable, but the Verizon galaxy nexus is not. It is probably more likely that Verizon is specifically asking for international capabilities to offset any perceived advantage of AT&T where you can use an unlocked international handset on att or virtually anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

If the Sprint Galaxy S III did have all the internals to make it international roaming capable, I would be surprised. But if it doesn't, I'm happy just all the same. If I go to Canada, I won't even use my phone up there, as I can't stand Sprint's roaming rates, and Virgin Mobile Canada has some great plans, and GSM phones are a dime a dozen this day and age (I still have my Jailbroken & Carrier unlocked iPhone 3GS), so no matter where in the world I go, I'm set.

If the Sprint Galaxy S III did have all the internals to make it international roaming capable, I would be surprised. But if it doesn't, I'm happy just all the same. If I go to Canada, I won't even use my phone up there, as I can't stand Sprint's roaming rates, and Virgin Mobile Canada has some great plans, and GSM phones are a dime a dozen this day and age (I still have my Jailbroken & Carrier unlocked iPhone 3GS), so no matter where in the world I go, I'm set.

I thought you said the 3gs crapped out on you?

I thought you said the 3gs crapped out on you?

It did, and then 2 days later it started working again. :rofl:

That's the 2nd time it has done that to me.

It did' date=' and then 2 days later it started working again. :rofl:

That's the 2nd time it has done that to me.[/quote']

Ah. Well good, my 3rd generation iPod classic only works while on the charger. (Yes, the circa 2003 iPod)

Why would Sprint want to hide it? The sim card is embedded, making all the roaming go through Sprint. That is more money for them if it is enabled.

Not all LTE handsets are guaranteed to be international roaming capable. Verizon has had a lot of their recent handsets be capable, but the Verizon galaxy nexus is not. It is probably more likely that Verizon is specifically asking for international capabilities to offset any perceived advantage of AT&T where you can use an unlocked international handset on att or virtually anywhere in the world.

They could want to gauge interest of it on the internet and thru customers, because there is a capital cost in producing the update. And because the SIM is embedded, they might want to gauge if users would want the ability to roam on GSM without the option of even putting another SIM in. THey could also be seeing if there'd be an option to make it removable (ie charge money for a new back piece and its installation, one which allows SIM removal). And Sprint would probably have to go thru the FCC to send an OTA, tho no one originally knew the Rezound or Spectrum would get the international treatment when they came out. Of course there's also the issue of, say, Sprint having deals with Motorola and RIM, but seeing as Sprint's on a good path, their stock has skyrocketed, management should be more wise than to listen to Sprint.

I still also have my Photon, which I believe is already unlocked outside the US. But I like my GS3 better. MUCH better.

Edited by at1988

So you believe that the Sprint GS3 is a miraculous World Phone that Sprint is intentionally blocking world phone capabilities? And you believe their motive for blocking is to see if there is demand? That's so crazy.

The Moto Photon Q is coming soon and it is supposed to be a world phone. Why would Sprint be OK with unlocking the potential with the Moto phone but needs to make it secret in the GS3?

This thread is absurd. It is obvious that there are some aspects of the GS3 that offer some of the necessities to be a world phone, like the chip. But all the features are not there. Like the antennas, filters and amplifiers. Software cannot overcome such physical limitations. This reminds me of the quack threads I used to see where WiMax devices could be updated with software to run Sprint FD-LTE, but Sprint is choosing to hide that.

Even if it were true, Sprint reps would not have that kind of information on their screens. There is no, 'secret device information that we don't want the general public to know section' in Sprint CSR's screen selections. This info is not available to CSR's...period. Get a hold of yourself, man!

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 5

So nobody really knows whether the Sprint Galaxy 3 would work outside the U.S.? lol

As of right now we know it will roam internationally in countries that have CDMA service. And until someone can prove that it has all the necessary hardware and antennas, and related miscellaneous, no we don't know.

There is no' date=' 'secret device information that we don't want the general public to know section' in Sprint CSR's screen selections.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner[/quote']

I'm going to put on my foil hat. It's all a conspiracy!

ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

• Like 4

was it a conspiracy with Verizon with the Spectrum and Rezound? It was months after they came out that Verizon clarified that they had GSM roaming capabilities.

Edited by at1988

was it a conspiracy with Verizon with the Spectrum and Rezound? It was months after they came out that Verizon clarified that they had GSM roaming capabilities.

Are you listening? Stop the comparisons with VZW. Sprint is not VZW. Stop the comparisons with the Spectrum and the Rezound. The Galaxy S3 is neither one of those handsets. Your repeated comparisons have no necessary relevance and do not support your argument.

AJ