HTC EVO lte connection issues

dpullen

With all the reports of issues with the EVO LTE getting a 4G connection (requiring manual toggles, forcing LTE-only mode, etc), how many of us have contacted Sprint?

I recall Robert saying that he suspected that Sprint has had multiple contacts and that they were aware of the issue, but I wanted to start a tally of various facts:

• Who actually has contacted them
  • What their response was
  • What steps they had you take to debug the issue
  • Whether or not the Sprint rep seemed to have a clue
  • How many of you returned/swapped phones
  • Any other relevant facts?

My hope is that there is a trend of increasing awareness/acknowledgement that there is a problem, that HTC is working on a fix, and some sort of timeframe as to when we might see that fix in an OTA...

Thanks,

- Dave

I am worried about this as well. Not sure why o keep getting bumped to 3g and it won't go back unless I "force" it. I am willing to contact them, although vanilla technical support wouldn't seem to help any. Better contact???

Based on lab reports from back in april(first reported here on s4gru), this is an issue that sprint was already well aware of. So personally I am quite surprised that they haven't released a fix for this issue as yet.

• 1 month later...

Haven't heard of any updates on this issue since the last update that was sent out. Hopeful this is something that can be fixed with an update and that it will be sent out sometime soon. The more I read about other phones the more I realize that the EVO LTE has a greater issue. I original thought it was gaps in the network now I realize the phone plays a much greater part in the problem.

• Like 1

There should be an update coming out soon as HTC just released the source code for the last update and that's the pattern they have been staying with.

I have kept my insurance for this reason alone. As soon as I have some LTE to play with and this phone is still doing the LTE dance I will be bringing it into the store over and over and over....

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

There should be an update coming out soon as HTC just released the source code for the last update and that's the pattern they have been staying with.

Thanks for the heads up. Knowing my luck I will be in Phoenix when the update comes out and will have to wait and see how much of an improvement it is.

Went to the sprint store today. Was told it doesn't connect to LTE because san Antonio isn't an LTE market. Lmao.

Gonna call as soon as I get home.

sent from my LTEVO

Edited by 2k4mach

Went to the sprint store today. Was told it doesn't connect to LTE because san Antonio isn't an LTE market. Lmao.

Gonna call as soon as I get home.

sent from my LTEVO

Figured they would try that.. Only way to disprove them is to test side by side with another phone model.

Figured they would try that.. Only way to disprove them is to test side by side with another phone model.

That's my plan, take in my daughter's iphone5 with me so when they say that I can show them LTE.

sent from my LTEVO

That's my plan, take in my daughter's iphone5 with me so when they say that I can show them LTE.

sent from my LTEVO

Watch them say that the LTE is "special"... Let us know how this goes as i will be doing the same when LTE is here except with a S3 and EVO until they swap me to an S3.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad Cartridge

• Like 1

allright just got off the phone with sprint. weather or not any of this is true i have no clue. i was told that they are aware of the connection issues and there will be another update soon to correct these issues. i told the guy if there not fixed soon i will be calling back until it either gets fixed or the phone is replaced with 1 that can actually connect and hold an lte connection like the s3 or the ip5 that are on my account.

I would require they open a ticket. Otherwise they just fluff you off and say whatever to get you off the phone.

If a ticket is opened it all goes through the right process and gets seen by other people.

allright just got off the phone with sprint. weather or not any of this is true i have no clue. i was told that they are aware of the connection issues and there will be another update soon to correct these issues. i told the guy if there not fixed soon i will be calling back until it either gets fixed or the phone is replaced with 1 that can actually connect and hold an lte connection like the s3 or the ip5 that are on my account.

Maybe they are aware but chances are they are telling you what they think you want to hear. Over the weekend I opened a ticket with HTC and it reamains open because they state that their isn't an issue that they are aware of. They are telling me it must be a equipment issue either mine or Sprints. I am hopeful that one day this issue is solved but at current I am not sure either side knows where the issue really is or cares enough to solve the problem right away. In the end those of us who bought the phone are left with the problem.

Sent from my EVO using Forum Runner

• Like 1

As someone who has worked in a call center....(not sprint)

From my experience there was zero communication between reps and the " engineers" . That is, there was no mechanism in place for corporate to know what the peons were calling in to complain about.

That is, if 100 people called in with issue x, there was no way to communicate that to anyone who could do anything about it. All rep can do is open support page and see if its a "known issue" and if not, do the standard troubleshooting (ie, power cycle, profile update etc)

Oh God Oh God Oh God!

Now I am thinking I went wrong moving to the Gnex! I moved from my beloved NS4g to the Gnex as I had no WIMAX in my location within the North Texas market, and as I posted here I am having signal issues, insofar as my experience is not lining up to the map.

But, I LOVE my unlocked toroplus with stock jb!

I got the phone 2 weeks ago, and now am thinking I should switch it with the gs3....

Thoughts???????????/

This is too disconcerting for me, I'm trading up for a Samsung GSIII. I've been impatient enough waiting for Sprints LTE rollout in Atlanta and now that I'm starting to see speckling of signal around town I'm left with a crippled device that struggles to connect and even maintain a 4G connection. It's maddening... and I thought life with my Photo 4G was bad. If only I held on longer to my WiMax devices!

My device has the 1.12 hboot and is currently in S-Off mode so it should be highly desirable on eBay. Look for it next week. HA!

I made a more detailed post about this in the sponsor’s section, but I can’t re-post here since I’m citing info found on the interactive maps.

I have a hunch that this is a software issue since my phone seems to have trouble finding LTE signals from towers which are known to be transmitting LTE. When I use the *#*#4636#*#* menu and choose “LTE only,” I am able to lock on to a tower about 1.5 miles away when I’m near a window at work. Then, as I move deeper into the building, the signal goes down to -131dBm RSRP before cutting out entirely. There is a closer tower that’s supposedly transmitting LTE is about 0.75 miles from me, but my phone can’t seem to detect the signal.

I think that the phone is sensitive enough to detect the signal and maybe even strong enough to hold it, as evidenced by the phone detecting and holding LTE after cycling through airplane mode. However, whatever is telling the phone to jump to LTE is majorly flawed.

There are a few threads on this subject over at XDA that I'm also involved in-

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1898433

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1901905

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1905007

• Like 2

what if this whole time it's like the gs3 scans for lte like every min or less why evo is searching it for like every 3-10 mins lol

Then that might be a Sprint/HTC fail haha. Someone on XDA noted that increasing the LTE Scan timer to 60 helped, but I'm unsure of what the values actually mean. One would think seconds but increasing from 30 (default) to 60 and it helped ... ?

• Like 1

Then that might be a Sprint/HTC fail haha. Someone on XDA noted that increasing the LTE Scan timer to 60 helped, but I'm unsure of what the values actually mean. One would think seconds but increasing from 30 (default) to 60 and it helped ... ?

Tryed that edit this evening. Didn't help at all for me. Sat at the soccer field for an hour during my daughter's soccer practice. No LTE on my EVO. Her ip5 was on LTE the whole time.

sent from my LTEVO

• Like 2