And AJ plugging his spectrum analyzer in to the nextel enclosure...

Hmm, are those police sirens I hear? They sound like they are getting closer.

AJ

• Like 7

I thought the ac units where the real power suckers?

Not that hard to do the math. 3000 does sound Like a lot.

I'll look up some more info and see if I can get a better number

The ones around here have those side mounted ac units. That number just doesn't pan out. People have huge homes here with tons of electronics and multiple air conditioners set at 72 on hang meat. And still end up with a 500 bill. I just can't see it with those little rooms. I could be wrong but I think that number is very high.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

No that was last Sunday by the Stadium when the cops thought you where going to bomb the stadium!

Hey, I was across the street from a crowded stadium, carrying my spectrum analyzer in a metallic briefcase, wearing my leather gloves and black ski mask just like a normal person. It was not as if I looked like a terrorist.

n657jm.jpg

AJ

• Like 5

The ones around here have those side mounted ac units. That number just doesn't pan out. People have huge homes here with tons of electronics and multiple air conditioners set at 72 on hang meat. And still end up with a 500 bill. I just can't see it with those little rooms. I could be wrong but I think that number is very high.

Not saying the number is correct but think about how hold that iDEN equipment must be. People forget that silicon scaling has drastically reduced power usage for equivalent performance in stuff like base stations and switches, not just cell phones. Some of those sites may also be locked into less than favorable electric rates since Sprint wouldn't want to negotiate new rates and sign contract extensions, knowing they are shutting iDEN off. If you just take the floating commercial power rate on offer, grab your ankles and prepare for some unpleasantness... IMHO it is way worse than residential rates without a deal, though the deals you can negotiate are often way better than residential too, especially if you agree to shed load in high demand situations... then you can get paid $$$ to shut down for an afternoon :)

I think the biggest payoff is going to come as they get out of the leases.

Hey, I was across the street from a crowded stadium, carrying my spectrum analyzer in a metallic briefcase, wearing my leather gloves and black ski mask just like a normal person. It was not as if I looked like a terrorist.

n657jm.jpg

AJ

With secret service on the roofs :) lol

Re: homes having lower electrical consumption than Nextel sites, keep in mind that homes have power usage spread across the entire place (with the exception of A/C0, while cell sites (and, really, any data center-esque environment) has really dense power requirements, which run nonstop. Factor in less than efficient cooling apparatus and you end up with some high power bills. Anyone want to multiply out several kilowatts per hour, every hour, for a month? Then add 50% onto that for cooling? I certainly don't want to pay that power bill.

Re: homes having lower electrical consumption than Nextel sites, keep in mind that homes have power usage spread across the entire place (with the exception of A/C0, while cell sites (and, really, any data center-esque environment) has really dense power requirements, which run nonstop. Factor in less than efficient cooling apparatus and you end up with some high power bills. Anyone want to multiply out several kilowatts per hour, every hour, for a month? Then add 50% onto that for cooling? I certainly don't want to pay that power bill.

Neither would I. In Pahrump the rates for commercial power are only a penny per kilowatt hour higher than residential power, so it's not too bad for us. But I know some areas where it's 10 to 20 cents higher, and that really adds up fast.

I will believe it when I see a bill or two pictures 24 hrs apart of the meter.

I'll see if I can find a Nextel tower close to my house where I can access the meter. That is a good idea.

I never kept up with electric bills for my iDen sites (just a field tech), but I remember lots of heat coming out of the racks in the Nextel huts. We did swaps for the rebranding and the HVAC was on all the time. Compared to Lucent Mod 4 sites, that were just cabinets, I would imagine the demand would be a lot higher.

Either way, once iDen is retired Sprint will free up considerable capital and spectrum. Definitely a positive.

• Like 1

I'll see if I can find a Nextel tower close to my house where I can access the meter. That is a good idea.

Are you on good terms with your local law enforcement?

AJ

Are you on good terms with your local law enforcement?

AJ

I'll make it quick :ninja:

Every time I start poking around a cell site, people give me wierd looks. I went to a half dozen different sites last week and I'm pretty sure as I was driving away from one site that was on a water tower, the police were responding and met me on the road. They must not have had a description of my car, as they just drove past...

I'll make it quick

Every time I start poking around a cell site, people give me wierd looks. I went to a half dozen different sites last week and I'm pretty sure as I was driving away from one site that was on a water tower, the police were responding and met me on the road. They must not have had a description of my car, as they just drove past...

Should we start a bail pool for s4gru members that get arrested while investigating towers?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 6

I have never had an issue before. But most of the time I'm in a marked government car. So I guess that gives me an advantage!

Robert

3febb2c9-04a6-c57f.jpg

3febb2c9-04a6-c57f.jpg

And if we need to know why Robert is leaving on a summer vacation away from northern New Mexico, well, he took this photo outside his office on the Los Alamos mesa on July 15th.

I kid, I kid. The high altitude New Mexico summer climate is great. In Kansas today, we are at 104 degrees -- again!

AJ

And if we need to know why Robert is leaving on a summer vacation away from northern New Mexico, well, he took this photo outside his office on the Los Alamos mesa on July 15th.

I kid, I kid. The high altitude New Mexico summer climate is great. In Kansas today, we are at 104 degrees -- again!

AJ

Looking at the current temp outside my office window...77 degrees. Los Alamos is a wonderful place in the summer.

Robert

• Like 1

Looking at the current temp outside my office window...77 degrees. Los Alamos is a wonderful place in the summer.

Robert

Well even after enduring the Louisiana weather and humidity I can honestly say that I'm grateful for the heat and humidity of my home state after visiting Progreso and Cozumel Mexico. Wow!! Enjoyable time but let's just say I stayed in the water a lot snorkeling for any outside activities.

Awesome.. be careful and don't enter any fences. I would love to be proved wrong on that bill. That would be insane! Might have to do some back figuring to see how many amps those things are pulling.

Maybe you can get lucky and find a meter like mine ;)

meter2.jpg

meter1.jpg

• Like 1

That's an insane amount of savings. Good for Sprint. I have definitely noticed the IDEN towers being shut down around here. My work uses them to talk to drivers while we're on the road and the service as been, well, shit lately lol. A lot of the time they won't even have signal in our store where they used to have almost full service, and calls won't go through pretty often. I asked my boss what corporate was going to do or switch to and he had no idea, I don't think corporate even knows Nextel is getting shut down lol.

That's an insane amount of savings. Good for Sprint. I have definitely noticed the IDEN towers being shut down around here. My work uses them to talk to drivers while we're on the road and the service as been, well, shit lately lol. A lot of the time they won't even have signal in our store where they used to have almost full service, and calls won't go through pretty often. I asked my boss what corporate was going to do or switch to and he had no idea, I don't think corporate even knows Nextel is getting shut down lol.

Tell them to switch to Sprint Direct Connect. It now has 1x and EVDO PTT so that means great coverage once Sprint launches CDMA on 800 MHz. Less churn the better.

My guess is that the towers get sold to whoever wants them (if they're owned by Sprint currently). Otherwise the towers are owned by someone else anyway, so that owner just looks for more clients.

I have never had an issue before. But most of the time I'm in a marked government car. So I guess that gives me an advantage!

Robert

3febb2c9-04a6-c57f.jpg

That must be what it is. Not fair, lol.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2