Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

I'm in ATL often now for work (work in midtown) and the network has been really pretty solid - even in hotels.  My only gripe are the underground MARTA stations.  Really wish Sprint could at least do something with those.

Glad this thread is so quiet.  It only speaks to the excellent quality of the Sprint network in our beloved yet often bizarre metropolis.  
But I actually have a point or, rather,  something I'd like to share. I was just at Kroger recently on Howell Mill near I-75 and was waiting outside in the unusually chilly weather for my Uber when I noticed via SCP that I was on a second band 25 carrier. Now, 2 things to note:  1. Atlanta has had a second band 25 carrier live for at least 18 months so this wasn't immediately unusual and 2. Atlanta has such widespread and healthy band 41 deployment that I rarely see anything but. The network is just that damned good.
No, the odd part was that when I went into my "enginerring" l screen, it indicated that carrier aggregation was indeed active.  Like I said, I've been on a second b25 carrier in this city many times before but I had never noticed them being aggregated. See evidence below.

My feeling is that band 41 was so widely deployed here before that they felt no great rush to enable b25 CA in this market.  In many other previously band 41 starved markets  like Lexington, KY, band 25 CA has been live for well over a year,  likely even longer. Those areas needed the extra capacity until those band 41 mini macs could rise to the challenge. They now very much have, by the way. 
But now that those smaller areas are finally getting widespread band 41 coverage, Sprint has seen fit to come back to the bigger areas like Atlanta and make great even better.  At least that is my theory!
Screenshot_20180102-232727.thumb.png.ff5521756dbbd381f490cdb8b0db33d2.png
ATL is a example of how incorrect Spectrum Omega is. It shows that Sprint holds blocks A,B,D there. If that was true Sprint could have higher than 5x5 on the 2nd carrier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

They didn't before. Don't know if a new DAS system was part of the Super Bowl upgrades or not. 

Oh ok, I can only assume that new equipment has been installed.  For years now my only issue with sprint in atlanta was how horrible data service was at the airport but data any where else in atlanta was damn near perfect.  Now I would say that within the last 2 years or so, data service has improved exponentially at the airport(including the plane train).  So improvements have been made to some extent.  I stay travelling and I would say I'm at atlanta airport at least 12 times per year if not more.

10 minutes ago, themuffinman said:

Oh ok, I can only assume that new equipment has been installed.  For years now my only issue with sprint in atlanta was how horrible data service was at the airport but data any where else in atlanta was damn near perfect.  Now I would say that within the last 2 years or so, data service has improved exponentially at the airport(including the plane train).  So improvements have been made to some extent.  I stay travelling and I would say I'm at atlanta airport at least 12 times per year if not more.

Yeah in my experience service at the airport was pretty sketchy for the most part. When I went through back in December I couldn't hit 5Mbps on the north end of concourse B. When I went back through at the beginning of January I was getting about 30Mbps right in the middle of concourse B. 

• Like 1