Sprint LTE coverage maps online @ sprint.com

I thought I would check the sprint network coverage map and to my surprise it shows "coverage" area for LTE. It says the coverage information was updated on 7/13/12. Does anyone have any idea how accurate this is? Is this the coverage after NV is completed?

Reason i ask is because it seems like most of Houston is already covered. Obviously nowhere near all the tower upgrades complete, but have they replaced enough already to give the kind of coverage that is on the network map?

Thanks,

Trent

Just checked Sprint's coverage map viewer and you can now see both LTE and WiMAX networks on their (tiny) map viewer. LTE coverage areas aren't shown in any sort of modified coloration based on signal strength, but the orange blobs are a bit more detailed than the coverage shapes I've seen from, say, Verizon. which is nice.

The coverage maps also show just how comprehensive Sprint's LTE market launches are. We aren't talking about downtown-only here...for example, some areas in San Antonio are still WiMAX-only, but in the majority of situations LTE coverage already completely eclipses what WiMAX could do (as it should). The contrast in Houston is even more stark; places like Magnolia and Cleveland (TX) show up as covered by the brand-new LTE network but not WiMAX.

I don't feel like doing the analysis quite yet, but Sprint may actually have more LTE than Verizon in some cases, if not now then maybe a few weeks from now as more sites come online. That's saying something, but it happens when you upgrade (eventually) 100% of your cell sites in an area to 4G, using the term "area" broadly rather than narrowly.

Here are the Sprint LTE Coverage Maps for Atlanta, Texas and, Overland Park/Kansas City. I will update with more detail on specific cities on request and I wall add more images for specific markets inside Texas.

Click on the images to enlarge.

Atlanta, Georgia

AtlantaLTE.gif

Texas

TexasLTE.gif

Waco, Texas

WacoTexasLTE.gif

Overland Park/Kansas City, Kansas

KansasCityLTE.gif

Here are the Sprint LTE Coverage Maps for Atlanta, Texas and, Overland Park/Kansas City. I will update with more detail on specific cities on request and I wall add more images for specific markets inside Texas.

Click on the images to enlarge.

Atlanta, Georgia

AtlantaLTE.gif

Texas

TexasLTE.gif

Waco, Texas

WacoTexasLTE.gif

Overland Park/Kansas City, Kansas

KansasCityLTE.gif

Nice to see sprint beat Verizon to some areas if Kansas city, alot more coverage than I was expecting.

I saw it just now. Its orange everywhere for the LTE vs 4G WiMax. I find it hard to believe! But it is true, I am in luck.

I mean LTE is so good they dont even put in the info if you get it inside the building or outside the building.

Edited by chong67

I don't think those maps show current coverage. Under the '4g LTE' section, the description reads '4g LTE will be arriving soon in select cities,' so it looks like they just colored in an entire market where LTE has been announced because it will be coming 'soon'.

I don't think those maps show current coverage. Under the '4g LTE' section, the description reads '4g LTE will be arriving soon in select cities,' so it looks like they just colored in an entire market where LTE has been announced because it will be coming 'soon'.

It will be current coverage when they flip the switch in 14 hours. The Signal has been live for months in some of these markets so it's quite likely that they have been able to survey the area with spectrum analyses.

It will be current coverage when they flip the switch in 14 hours. The Signal has been live for months in some of these markets so it's quite likely that they have been able to survey the area with spectrum analyses.

I hope that's the case, but I'm doubtful. Looking at the completed map in the sponsor's section I'm not expecting my house to have LTE right away, but Sprint's map has me blanketed. I would love to be wrong.

I hope that's the case, but I'm doubtful. Looking at the completed map in the sponsor's section I'm not expecting my house to have LTE right away, but Sprint's map has me blanketed. I would love to be wrong.

If you want a more specific look at LTE Coverage get your GPS location with something like GPS Logger for Android and input it at http://srv.so/sprint (Web app I made.).

Just checked Sprint's coverage map viewer and you can now see both LTE and WiMAX networks on their (tiny) map viewer. LTE coverage areas aren't shown in any sort of modified coloration based on signal strength, but the orange blobs are a bit more detailed than the coverage shapes I've seen from, say, Verizon. which is nice.

The coverage maps also show just how comprehensive Sprint's LTE market launches are. We aren't talking about downtown-only here...for example, some areas in San Antonio are still WiMAX-only, but in the majority of situations LTE coverage already completely eclipses what WiMAX could do (as it should). The contrast in Houston is even more stark; places like Magnolia and Cleveland (TX) show up as covered by the brand-new LTE network but not WiMAX.

I don't feel like doing the analysis quite yet, but Sprint may actually have more LTE than Verizon in some cases, if not now then maybe a few weeks from now as more sites come online. That's saying something, but it happens when you upgrade (eventually) 100% of your cell sites in an area to 4G, using the term "area" broadly rather than narrowly.

Pick and Lte phone and it will show only LTE coverage , the 4G maps are based on what device you choose. Picking no device just shows all/ generic 4g not specific

I thought I would check the sprint network coverage map and to my surprise it shows "coverage" area for LTE. It says the coverage information was updated on 7/13/12. Does anyone have any idea how accurate this is? Is this the coverage after NV is completed?

Reason i ask is because it seems like most of Houston is already covered. Obviously nowhere near all the tower upgrades complete, but have they replaced enough already to give the kind of coverage that is on the network map?

Thanks,

Trent

Yeah....I think thats once the they hit the switch.

Thanks,

Trent

It's an active deployment area. There is going to be a lot of variability initially.

Robert

A bit disappointing, my part of town still has yet to be completed( I drove around). But even then, Although I have four towers within 2 miles of my house, coverage in the street is around -100dBm. LTE can't help that.

I had to get an Airave to make calls inside the house, but it's a piece of junk and has been replaced several times. It freezes up time to time as well and sends 10+ of the same text message to people. I guess it's a waiting game to see when they upgrade my area.

If I can just get better speeds away from home where I don't have wifi, I'll be happy. But right now, areas with full signal are still creeping at 56k speeds. I feel like i'm stuck in the 90s.

I'll be going into Houston tonight, will test the speeds/coverage there :-)