This is not that kind of conversion. This is swapping out the Huawei equipment with Nokia equipment as mandated by the government. The sites were already broadcasting B41, and still are broadcasting B41, however now with the capability to broadcast 2 carriers and 2xCA.

Oh ok gotcha. So is this type of conversion going to happen each upgrade ? Since we're on the verge of 3Ca launch very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ok gotcha. So is this type of conversion going to happen each upgrade ? Since we're on the verge of 3Ca launch very soon.

No not quite. These conversions are taking place to quickly and cheaply meet the requirements set by the government to strip out all of the Huawei equipment. It has very little to do with network upgrades and everything to do with meeting that mandate. The same antennas are being reused, they are just taking out the Huawei RRUs and replacing them with Nokia mini-macros.

It is a low cost solution until full 8T8R conversions can take place. 

• Like 1

No not quite. These conversions are taking place to quickly and cheaply meet the requirements set by the government to strip out all of the Huawei equipment. It has very little to do with network upgrades and everything to do with meeting that mandate. The same antennas are being reused, they are just taking out the Huawei RRUs and replacing them with Nokia mini-macros.

It is a low cost solution until full 8T8R conversions can take place.

Good stuff, hey so on the Vegas thread, someone who claims to have inside knowledge, claims that band 26 is ready to go live in Vegas in the next 90 days and that it's already on the sites. I thought SB county was holding up Vegas like SoCal? That's what I told him. Is there any truth to what he said ? I'm asking you to clarify so I don't get the wrong information

Good stuff, hey so on the Vegas thread, someone who claims to have inside knowledge, claims that band 26 is ready to go live in Vegas in the next 90 days and that it's already on the sites. I thought SB county was holding up Vegas like SoCal? That's what I told him. Is there any truth to what he said ? I'm asking you to clarify so I don't get the wrong information

The sites are certainly ready for B26, however I do not know that status of the San Bernardino Public Safety re-branding. That said, it's entirely possible that in the next 90s re-branding will be complete allowing Sprint to start bringing B26 online. It may be that Vegas can begin sooner than other parts of SoCal due to the distance. His information is good, but schedules can always change.

• Like 1

I should mention that this is only happening in markets with Huawei equipment. North LA is one, but OC is not (if I'm remembering right). If your local Clear site already has two carriers on it, it will not be affected by this conversion project.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

B25 is live on parts of the Metro Red Line. It seems like it's live between Union Station and just past 7th/Metro.

kAhV2oEm.png

This was taken while on the northbound Red Line train leaving 7th St. / Metro Center station.

• Like 2

Found out that a friend is working on re-tuning radios for an LA bus agency (presumably Metro) that involves frequencies in the 800Mhz spectrum. Wasn't able to get many details from him, but I'm assuming this is connected with the rebanding effort. Encouraging to see that action is taking place.

• Like 1

Found out that a friend is working on re-tuning radios for an LA bus agency (presumably Metro) that involves frequencies in the 800Mhz spectrum. Wasn't able to get many details from him, but I'm assuming this is connected with the rebanding effort. Encouraging to see that action is taking place.

Can you possibly get more details from him ? Vegas is finally getting band 26. I've heard that it could be anywhere between now and the next 6 months and that San Bernadino county has a 1/30/2017 deadline to meet. If you can ask your friend and get back to us that would be excellent. We need 800mhz bad for indoor coverage

Can you possibly get more details from him ? Vegas is finally getting band 26. I've heard that it could be anywhere between now and the next 6 months and that San Bernadino county has a 1/30/2017 deadline to meet. If you can ask your friend and get back to us that would be excellent. We need 800mhz bad for indoor coverage

I'm going to try to ask him if he knows the completion date, but I get the impression that he doesn't know many details. He just started.

• Like 1

B25 is live on parts of the Metro Red Line. It seems like it's live between Union Station and just past 7th/Metro.

kAhV2oEm.png

This was taken while on the northbound Red Line train leaving 7th St. / Metro Center station.

That's on PCS A Block, rather than G-Block.

• Like 1

I recently emailed Günther Ottendorfer and got a response from another Sprint employee that all of LA Metro won't be getting B26 until 2H2018.  That seemed contrary to the public opinion about San Bernardino being the holdup in this market, so I pressed them about it and they cited frequency clearing in Mexico as the holdup.

I recently emailed Günther Ottendorfer and got a response from another Sprint employee that all of LA Metro won't be getting B26 until 2H2018.  That seemed contrary to the public opinion about San Bernardino being the holdup in this market, so I pressed them about it and they cited frequency clearing in Mexico as the holdup.

Perhaps the Sprint employee got "LA Metro" and Southern California mixed up? The IBEZ extends into parts of Riverside County and OC but no where near LA proper.

Perhaps the Sprint employee got "LA Metro" and Southern California mixed up? The IBEZ extends into parts of Riverside County and OC but no where near LA proper.

I asked a similar follow up question and was told that estimate applied to the entire market.

• Like 2

I recently emailed Günther Ottendorfer and got a response from another Sprint employee that all of LA Metro won't be getting B26 until 2H2018. That seemed contrary to the public opinion about San Bernardino being the holdup in this market, so I pressed them about it and they cited frequency clearing in Mexico as the holdup.

Part of me thinks that they dont want to give an exact timeline especially when its something they dont have control of despite any hard deadlines or agreements. We know how unreliable SB county has been in sticking with their dates thus far. I think giving themselves a huge runway is easier than to promise a certain date and then not being able to fulfill it.

Since when has Sprint or any other carrier provided exact dates or timelines? Sprint seems to get crucified the most if they slip at all in any announcements whereas other carriers get more forgiveness.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I recently emailed Günther Ottendorfer and got a response from another Sprint employee that all of LA Metro won't be getting B26 until 2H2018. That seemed contrary to the public opinion about San Bernardino being the holdup in this market, so I pressed them about it and they cited frequency clearing in Mexico as the holdup.

Interesting and very upsetting if true...I'll wait and see what Gunth says in response to your email. I can't trust just a sprint employee but rather I would trust someone in management over an employee.

Since when has Sprint or any other carrier provided exact dates or timelines? Sprint seems to get crucified the most if they slip at all in any announcements whereas other carriers get more forgiveness.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I'm sure Sprint is motivated to get B26 rolled out in LA as fast as possible but there are factors out of their control.

• Like 1

To follow up on this more, in my limited understanding, there is the IBEZ, the 110km of separation from the border and then there is a bigger region of frequency coordination in SoCal (NPSPAC Region 5.)

If you look at this document, on page 24, you can see a map which shows the IBEZ (they call it the "MBR") and the NPSPAC Regions affected by the MBR.

http://www.800ta.org/content/resources/NPSPAC_Region5_Presentation_TAWeb.pdf

Also notice how Nevada (Las Vegas) is not impacted by the MBR.  So that may be why Vegas gets B26 but we have to wait.

Anecdotally, it seems like narrowband (1x voice) is permitted in the region outside of the IBEZ/MBR, but possibly not wideband (LTE).

• Like 3

I'm sure Sprint is motivated to get B26 rolled out in LA as fast as possible but there are factors out of their control.

For sure Sprint is motivated to get B26 rolled out in So Cal and Arizona areas but again it is beyond their control right now which is why they put out that timeline wayyyyyyyyyy out in the future.  I think its a culmunation of SB county and IBEZ contributing to this issues.  After SB county is cleared they should be allowed to deploy B26 LTE in areas outside of the IBEZ.  The IBEZ should not have any affect in those areas and should not be a good enough excuse not to deploy it.

The Sprint coverage is not sufficient enough in LA Metro/OC counties without LTE 800 and CDMA 800.  There are still way too many gaps with no LTE coverage despite the growing number of B41 sites.  LAX is a perfect example where Sprint needs to put a major effort into adding capacity there.  Verizon/Tmobile/ATT have added macro sites in the parking lots of LAX and coverage has significantly improved.  I don't believe Sprint has any macro sites in the parking lots of LAX.

• Like 1

There are still way too many gaps with no LTE coverage despite the growing number of B41 sites.  

Speaking of a growing number of B41 sites have you noticed any new Mobilitie sites?

I've seen a few added around the first sites in the K-town area, mostly north and west of there.

• Like 1