Network Vision/LTE - South West Florida Market

Abyss19707

If Sprint is so bad in Fort Myers and you can't ever get LTE anywhere but 2-3 blocks from a tower, you should switch providers. I have a hard time believing it's that bad everywhere in SW Florida as described. But if it is, you shouldn't stay with Sprint. Show them how bad they are by churning.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Its not everywhere in swfl. Drive down south to Naples and you can get LTE all over. And it is better north in Cape Coral. Tiny Pine Island west of Cape Coral has 2 towers with LTE that works great. So it looks like it is just kinda bad luck that that the service is so inconsistent here in the ft myers area. I think a big problem is the number of towers and spacing, but that will take a bit of time to correct of Sprint even wants to do anything about it.

There is a good chance I will be switching but I didn't want to say that.

Its not everywhere in swfl. Drive down south to Naples and you can get LTE all over. And it is better north in Cape Coral. Tiny Pine Island west of Cape Coral has 2 towers with LTE that works great. So it looks like it is just kinda bad luck that that the service is so inconsistent here in the ft myers area. I think a big problem is the number of towers and spacing, but that will take a bit of time to correct of Sprint even wants to do anything about it.

There is a good chance I will be switching but I didn't want to say that.

Tower spacing looks fine to me in Ft. Myers. Especially with the topography... or lack there of. Towers are spaced tighter than they are around where I live, and they still give me pretty decent coverage. B26 hasn't even kicked in here yet. 

1x800 has been everywhere I have been in Florida surprisingly hopefully that means a lot of band 26 everywhere.

I stayed connected to both band 25 lte and 1x800 coming from the east on 80 then south down i-75 to Naples, Fl. LTE was sluggish the whole way down i-75 but still usable. Its still only 6 down 1 up in naples at 10 pm so it might be backhaul issues or some issue with the 4g cores. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mjg6ukwdmtvzl4i/AAAX1OidhsPYuMyNymxKlU06a

Wish you were here to try it out. Maybe when 800 hits here it will fix everything.

I was there 1x800 and lte was everywhere I went. Mostly on up and down 41 and I-75. It was sluggish but still usable 2-4 Mbps. 

I spent the next day at the Riva Del Lago the really tall building on 41 and in the area you consider Fort Myers. To say there is only 3 or 4 blocks in all of town is a stretch with both sensorly and root metric showing that there is LTE there. The towers are at capacity you will have to wait for either band 26 which is just a carrier card since the towers have 1x800 and lte. Or band 41 if clearwire wimax/lte was not there then you will have to wait like the rest of us for them to install and/or turn on 8t8r band 41 which they are testing in Chicago and some other cities.

Am I correct that there isn't really a schedule per se that lists when markets/locations will receive Band 26/41 upgrades? I am hoping that will help with some of the issues that we've been seeing. 

Also, as it pertains to 1X800, IIRC, there are only about 5 towers that have been noted as live with it in the Naples/Fort Myers area. Lots more to go, I would think.

I think most of them have 1x 800 activated. There is just no LTE 800 and from what I can tell service is suffering because it is at/over capacity.

If nothing changes it's gonna be twice as bad in a month.

Very interesting how slow the work has been in completing the upgrades. At this pace I'd expect June 2015 before any real improvement.

Edited by greencat

I think most of them have 1x 800 activated. There is just no LTE 800 and from what I can tell service is suffering because it is at/over capacity.

If nothing changes it's gonna be twice as bad in a month.

Very interesting how slow the work has been in completing the upgrades. At this pace I'd expect June 2015 before any real improvement.

I don't think so. I went back and looked at the sponsor maps and it shows which ones have 3g/4g, and which ones also have 3g/1X800 and 3g/1X800/4g. There isn't anything about LTE 800. Once you cross over Charlotte Harbor, there are five sites that have been noted as 1X800 down to Naples. 

Agree totally about the burden on the network once the snowbirds come back to roost for the winter. Let's hope they keep working to get things better sooner rather than later.

I don't think so. I went back and looked at the sponsor maps and it shows which ones have 3g/4g, and which ones also have 3g/1X800 and 3g/1X800/4g. There isn't anything about LTE 800. Once you cross over Charlotte Harbor, there are five sites that have been noted as 1X800 down to Naples. 

Agree totally about the burden on the network once the snowbirds come back to roost for the winter. Let's hope they keep working to get things better sooner rather than later.

1x800 can take 6 months to be put on the map. National Band 26 and 41 info is in the premier part of the forum and it is hard to say when that information will be added to the sponsor map. 

• 3 weeks later...

When the new UTC mall opened in North Sarasota, off of University Pkwy, I took a trip to our new mall and did a few speed tests. But the only thing was that I couldn't do a speed test because of how congested the tower was next to the mall, and its pretty close to it too. Does anyone know if sprint will solve this issue in the coming months because, all I know is it's just gonna get worse in the coming months. 

When the new UTC mall opened in North Sarasota, off of University Pkwy, I took a trip to our new mall and did a few speed tests. But the only thing was that I couldn't do a speed test because of how congested the tower was next to the mall, and its pretty close to it too. Does anyone know if sprint will solve this issue in the coming months because, all I know is it's just gonna get worse in the coming months. 

They are adding B26/B41 LTE all over the South West Florida market.  Schedule info about which specific towers within the next six months is in the Premier Sponsor section.

• 2 weeks later...

Was up at UTC and in that area this past weekend. SignalCheck Pro showed connection to B26, but concur with ty that the speeds were bad at best. Looking forward to the expansion of B26/B41 around SW Florida, and hope they are just working the kinks out on that site.

Was up at UTC and in that area this past weekend. SignalCheck Pro showed connection to B26, but concur with ty that the speeds were bad at best. Looking forward to the expansion of B26/B41 around SW Florida, and hope they are just working the kinks out on that site.

Report it on the Sprint Zone app. Also I think there are more people in the area than what there will be in the future. It is all the hype of the new mall and people coming from out of county. Heck I will be coming from Tampa in the next two weeks and we have plenty of malls here.

Report it on the Sprint Zone app. Also I think there are more people in the area than what there will be in the future. It is all the hype of the new mall and people coming from out of county. Heck I will be coming from Tampa in the next two weeks and we have plenty of malls here.

Thanks. Did that. Have sent in issues before, but never have heard anything back. Is there a way to access a log of issues that have been submitted via the Sprint Zone?

Thanks. Did that. Have sent in issues before, but never have heard anything back. Is there a way to access a log of issues that have been submitted via the Sprint Zone?

I don't think so or haven't seen it. I've sent a few reports here in Tampa and can't find a log. That would be a cool feature though.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody got an update for the ETA on Sprint Spark coming to SW Florida?

It's already started to be deployed.  We have maps in the Premier Sponsor section that show which sites are scheduled and when for the next 6 months.  More info about becoming a Premier Sponsor:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/