Samsung Galaxy Note 2

pyroscott

Now that the SGS3 is clogging up package delivery services across America, it is time for some rumors on the next big thing from Samsung, the Galaxy Note 2.

This morning the web was buzzing with rumors of an October release of a 5.5 inch quad-core with a flexible display (sometimes billed as unbreakable) Also mentioned is the "Jelly Bean" OS, 12MP camera, longer lasting battery and more solid build quality. It is also said to be thinner than the previous model.

Being as it is based on the GS3, the corners could be more rounded, it might come in pebble blue and it might have to forego the quad core to be LTE compatible. We will surely see more rumors pop up as leaks come out.

The October release is being attributed to Samsung wanting to take the iPhone 5 on head to head... Could be good strategy, we will know after the dust settles.

http://www.t3.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-2-release

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/354306/20120620/samsung-galaxy-note-2-release-iphone-5.htm

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/19/3098035/galaxy-note-ii-rumor-android-jelly-bean

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-note-2-coming-in-october-1086087

• Like 1

I'm up for some hot Note 2 action. Especially if it had Jelly Bean.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Seeing as I won't see LTE until late this year, I'll be holding off on a device upgrade (that and a new baby coming in a few weeks). I need to wait and see if my current upgrade date stays or changes as I didn't expect to be eligible this year after getting an E4GT on launch day last year.

A co-worker has the Note and I have to say I didn't hate it the way I expected to. Then again going from a BB curve to my OG Evo, then to the E4GT, i expected to not like the size jump, but adjusted with in days.

I'm up for some hot Note 2 action. Especially if it had Jelly Bean.

Man this is terrible. Too many choices! If this comes out on the Sprint network, AND in the Oct timeframe I really don't know what I'm going to do~ Doubt we will see any concrete dates out here in the next 3 weeks or so, otherwise I'd hold off on the S3.

Did you see the bit about the display rumored to be larger than the current 5.3"?

I'm hoping to see it support 800Mhz LTE, along with 1900Mhz CDMA/LTE and 800MHz CDMA. That would be a huge selling point on being a two year device for me.

Clear LTE support would be extra caramel on the sundae, but I'm not that greedy ;)

Man this is terrible. Too many choices! If this comes out on the Sprint network, AND in the Oct timeframe I really don't know what I'm going to do~ Doubt we will see any concrete dates out here in the next 3 weeks or so, otherwise I'd hold off on the S3.

Did you see the bit about the display rumored to be larger than the current 5.3"?

Yeah, the articles said 5.5", but could that be to have onscreen buttons like the GNex? They also said that they might drop the stylus. That would be a bad move, I think. The ability to stash it onboard is definitely a plus. I would lose it otherwise.

• Like 1

Yeah, the articles said 5.5", but could that be to have onscreen buttons like the GNex? They also said that they might drop the stylus. That would be a bad move, I think. The ability to stash it onboard is definitely a plus. I would lose it otherwise.

Yeah, they def need to keep the stylus, esp if you can store it on the device. Otherwise I'd lose it just like you said.

5.5" would make sense if it had the onscreen buttons. Be interesting to see what else leaks here in the coming weeks.

I'm hoping to see it support 800Mhz LTE' date=' along with 1900Mhz CDMA/LTE and 800MHz CDMA. That would be a huge selling point on being a two year device for me.

Clear LTE support would be extra caramel on the sundae, but I'm not that greedy ;)[/quote']

I don't expect any devices to have LTE 800 this year. If something shows up before 2013, then it is a new development to Sprint. As of last month, Sprint believed the first LTE 800 devices would not become available until Spring 2013.

I love my Note however I think the 5.5 size may be a bit much. I think about 5" is the perfect size actually. One of the reasons I love the Android ecosystem is for choices. We have choices of different vendors, button layouts, roms, screen sizes, audio capabilities. I do think we are starting to lose some of that choice. It seems all of these flag ship phones just keep getting bigger and bigger but think we are forgetting about the people that want a phone with the new features and radio band support but still prefer a smaller screen. I wish Sammy or others would come out with a flagship S3 and S3-Mini at similiar times. The mini would still retain the most of the features but be a smaller screen and have a smaller battery. Some users that I have here at the office would switch to Android but may stay iPhone because they prefer a screen around 4" instead of a phablet.

I love my Note however I think the 5.5 size may be a bit much. I think about 5" is the perfect size actually. One of the reasons I love the Android ecosystem is for choices. We have choices of different vendors, button layouts, roms, screen sizes, audio capabilities. I do think we are starting to lose some of that choice. It seems all of these flag ship phones just keep getting bigger and bigger but think we are forgetting about the people that want a phone with the new features and radio band support but still prefer a smaller screen. I wish Sammy or others would come out with a flagship S3 and S3-Mini at similiar times. The mini would still retain the most of the features but be a smaller screen and have a smaller battery. Some users that I have here at the office would switch to Android but may stay iPhone because they prefer a screen around 4" instead of a phablet.

If I could just have $1 for every time someone says their current phone size is the perfect size...........

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

If I could just have $1 for every time someone says their current phone size is the perfect size...........

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

I'd be happy with a nickle

• Like 1

Isn't the current note a 5.3" screen? So this would be less than a quarter inch bigger.

Either way, Android OEMs seem to make sure that there is always an entry in the small, medium and large categories.

Wow a thread that is so dear and close to my heart. lol

I hashed this out over in the Sprint forums to death, might as well do it here too. Its gonna be long folks, so grab some coffee or tea. Be afraid, be very afraid. lol

Ok here goes,,.Sprint did not jump on the Note bandwagon this past round as we all know by now, but I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the reps from Samsung (and any other manufacturer) came to Sprint corp to showcase their new phones and see why Sprint turned it down then. I think it was a mistake then but eh, can't cry over spilled milk. With the success that the international version has had as well as AT&T, any other carrier would be foolish not to carry the second generation Note once it is out at the end of the year.

I'm betting that besides AT&T, not only will Sprint get it but all the major carriers and even some lesser ones, especially if what we are seeing with the current Galaxy S3 being sold across the board is any indication.

Now rumor has it that Samsung will debut the 2nd generation about the one year anniversary of the 1st generation Note, It may also be around the time that Apple showcases its new iPhone. Personally i wouldn't want Samsung to rush out the device just to compete with the iPhone because I think they are two totally different beasts that shouldn't even be in the same category.

If it is October, mark my words it will be the international version only. And most likely for distribution to the general public by Nov/Dec. Just for the holidays. The US version, won't probably come out till Jan/Feb of the next year (2013).

As for specs, well, too many rumors, all of them good. So these are my favorites and mind you these are my opinions and not fact.

It certainly won't come with that flexible display. (That would probably be in Note # 3 or 4). Now if they pull it off I wouldn't complain, but I don't think it will have that type of display. I'll rather have a Pixel Qi type of display so i can read stuff in direct sunlight instead. But I don'tr see those two companies getting in bed anytime soon.

I think it will stay at 5.3 but be more rounded in the corners. If they make the bezel thinner than maybe the display can get up to 5.4 or 5.5.

The S-Pen will be updated to also work with the menu buttons. (That is if it has any.) And it will still stay as thin as it is.

The optional S-Pen holder will also be updated as shown in this new patent by Samsung.

Speaking of which, if that new s-pen is true and makes it way to the new Note, then one wouldn't have to worry about placing the big tablet like phone next to your ear for calls, just use the pen. lol

I hope the battery lasts longer otherwise a nuclear reactor is in order.

I also hope they up the front facing camera to 2.5

and of course Jelly Beano. lol

TS

If this come on Sprint in the same amount of time that the S3 came to US, and the specs don't disappoint me, I'm buying this first thing. I really want the Note as it is. But the Note 2 sounds a hell of alot better.

Like I said, forget the Note 1, Sprint said no to it a few months back, why? who knows, but it is what it is. But i doubt they will pass up on the Note 2. And even if they didn't do any upgrade to it, I'll still buy it on Sprint and tell AT&T to shove it.

rant mode: ON

Speaking of which, AT&T sucks. Yeah their LTE is okay. But man, I was off by two days of making a payment to them being that I messed up on the autopay dates and they cut the service. Seriously, 2 days from due date. Sprint would have never done that.

I feel like just paying off the ETF and and keep the Note connected to my Tri-Fi on Sprint.

rant mode: OFF

TS

• Like 1

Like I said, forget the Note 1, Sprint said no to it a few months back, why? who knows, but it is what it is. But i doubt they will pass up on the Note 2. And even if they didn't do any upgrade to it, I'll still buy it on Sprint and tell AT&T to shove it.

Speaking of which, AT&T sucks. Yeah their LTE is okay. But man, I was off by two days of making a payment to them being that I messed up on the autopay dates and they cut the service. Seriously, 2 days from due date. Sprint would have never done that.

I feel like just paying off the ETF and and keep the Note connected to my Tri-Fi on Sprint.

TS

Damn, that's pretty harsh!

Like I said' date=' forget the Note 1, Sprint said no to it a few months back, why? who knows, but it is what it is. But i doubt they will pass up on the Note 2. And even if they didn't do any upgrade to it, I'll still buy it on Sprint and tell AT&T to shove it.

TS[/quote']

Wow maybe I should tell my mother inlaw about that. She just got the SG2 on AT&T

• 2 weeks later...

More Note 2 stuff popping up. Although I think its just maybe comfirming, or adding to what we already know.

Samsung Galaxy Note II tipped for August reveal, 5.5″ screen

I read this earlier today, I was hoping they could confirm a 1080p screen. If they do that I am getting it for sure.

• Like 1

I read this earlier today' date=' I was hoping they could confirm a 1080p screen. If they do that I am getting it for sure.[/quote']

I'm getting it either way. As long as it's a significant upgrade from the forst, and it's on Sprint.

• Like 1