Network Vision/LTE - Nashville Market (including Knoxville/Chattanooga/Tri-Cities)

telefunken

Anyone else having an issue in the past few days where text messages received have a time stamp an hour behind?  This seems to only happen when I am connected to Sprint towers in the Tri-Cities or Greeneville.  Works fine in Knoxville, or if I'm roaming, or if I'm on the Airave.  We have 3 HTC Ones all running the latest software in our house, and everyone is having the same issue.  My friend with his iPhone is not, however.

Anyone else having an issue in the past few days where text messages received have a time stamp an hour behind?  This seems to only happen when I am connected to Sprint towers in the Tri-Cities or Greeneville.  Works fine in Knoxville, or if I'm roaming, or if I'm on the Airave.  We have 3 HTC Ones all running the latest software in our house, and everyone is having the same issue.  My friend with his iPhone is not, however.

My dad has the HTC EVO 3D has the same problem text message time stamps are an hour behind, started doing it a week or two ago.  Possibly working/upgrading towers, or isolated to just HTC devices.  I am on the Galaxy S3 not having that issue.    

Edited by JossMan

My dad has the HTC EVO 3D has the same problem text message time stamps are an hour behind, started doing it a week or two ago.  Possibly working/upgrading towers, or isolated to just HTC devices.  I am on the Galaxy S3 not having that issue.    

I think iPhones/Samsungs do the text message based on the time the message is received, whereas HTC's software does it based on what time the tower is telling it the message was sent.  That's just my theory anyway, I have no idea why this is happening.

Can you have your dad call in and make them put a ticket in or something?  He's not the only one with an issue, but if not enough people call they may never get around to fixing it.

Can you have your dad call in and make them put a ticket in or something?  He's not the only one with an issue, but if not enough people call they may never get around to fixing it.

He already has Sprint says it has to do with Network Vision, even though CSR probably has no clue when and where they are actively working on towers.  Either way there is a trouble ticket for it to be investigated.  

He already has Sprint says it has to do with Network Vision, even though CSR probably has no clue when and where they are actively working on towers.  Either way there is a trouble ticket for it to be investigated.  

Thanks, I hope they fix this soon.  It's a relatively irritating problem, but I installed some SMS time fix app from the Play store to bandaid it for now.

I have/had the same problem here in Knoxville. 

I have/had the same problem here in Knoxville. 

I think it might depend on whether you are on an NV tower or not.  The tri cities is 80%+ upgraded towers per the member maps here; Knoxville is not so that might be why it was working fine for me.  I hope more people call in and put pressure on Sprint to fix it, its an annoying issue and they don't seem to have any idea that it's happening when I call them.

I think it might depend on whether you are on an NV tower or not.  The tri cities is 80%+ upgraded towers per the member maps here; Knoxville is not so that might be why it was working fine for me.  I hope more people call in and put pressure on Sprint to fix it, its an annoying issue and they don't seem to have any idea that it's happening when I call them.

Gee the TriCities is 80 percent completed I hope not because 4G LTE is very very spotty in Bristol, VA most of the time I can't pick it up.

Gee the TriCities is 80 percent completed I hope not because 4G LTE is very very spotty in Bristol, VA most of the time I can't pick it up.

The VA side of Bristol is where most of the work needs to be finished, at least in that area.  There are 4 towers in Kingsport that are not done, 1 in Gate City, 5 in Johnson City (4 of which are downtown / near ETSU -_-), and 5 in Bristol area (4 of which are on the VA side).  That makes up the 20% or so of towers that are not yet done in the area.

FWIW, even in areas where there are no un-upgraded towers near me and I am surrounded by upgraded towers, the coverage is still spotty.  All of the towers along the 75 between Gray and the Sprint call center in Bristol are upgraded, but I just made that drive and got 4g exactly zero times.  My Tunein radio dropped 4 times on the way there and back.  Sprint is going to need to add sites to cover this area, too many places with bad reception due to the hills.

800mhz should fill in the gaps

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free

Yea, too bad it will be 2 years before I can upgrade to a device that supports it.

Also, I'm not sure how close we are to the SouthernLINC market area, but we may not see 800MHz here if they own that spectrum here.

The VA side of Bristol is where most of the work needs to be finished, at least in that area.  There are 4 towers in Kingsport that are not done, 1 in Gate City, 5 in Johnson City (4 of which are downtown / near ETSU -_-), and 5 in Bristol area (4 of which are on the VA side).  That makes up the 20% or so of towers that are not yet done in the area.

Do you know where these 4 towers are in Bristol, VA, plus the 1 in Bristol, TN?  Since im on the Galaxy S3 1900Mhz will be the only way I'll get LTE I get great 1x PCS coverage at the house.  I am picking up eHRPD up in and out of the house and I get a rouge LTE signal but it usually hovers around the -114dB range which is bad, I'm hoping this is just temporary.

Edited by JossMan

Its already in the Nashville area so I hope it will make it to the whole market

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free

We're probably fine then, I think SouthernLINC is more Georgia oriented.  The real bummer is that I just bought a new phone that won't support it, so my service is going to be relatively lame until my next upgrade.  But hey, it might take that long for the 800MHz rollout to happen here, so I guess no need to rush things on the device side of things anyway.

While driving past the Weigel's near Gallaher View and Middlebrook, I was able to get a 4G signal, later on tonight I was not able to acquire that signal again. I did notice that I could not do a speed test, hopefully the tower near there was in a test mode.

• 3 weeks later...

I work close to the Starbucks immediately west of West Town Mall,4G is intermittent at best there.Supposedly a tower close to Sam's Club@ Gallaher has gone 4G,4g will come in when in that area,but I live a mile or so south of West Town,at roughly Waco Dr.,and 3G at the house is...less than intermittent.Funny how I keep using the word intermittent.Sensorly shows no 4G at my location, but if you go to the top of my hill in the neighborhood,Sensorly shows 4G there. Drat.!!  C'mon, $print,speed it up  .....!

• 2 weeks later...

They finally fixed the SMS timestamp issue in the tri cities!

I'm willing to put money on them having set the wrong date for daylight savings time on the towers here and being too lazy to fix it for October, since it started working fine right after Sunday AM.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What kind of problems did you have? I live in Bristol and I couldn't use the LTE data connection on a tower in Bristol, TN even though my phone was reporting there was a signal, battery pulls, restarts, etc still couldn't get it too work.  Also eHRPD has vanished at home and on Bristol, VA side of town, now my phone is taking hard hand offs going from EVDO to LTE, also I couldn't make calls or send texts.  As of today looks like eHRPD is back.

Pretty much the same thing you reported, I was able to get data using 3G. When trying to make calls, I got "To make a collect call to a mobile phone or a land line phone, press 1, to use or purchase a prepaid pin with your credit card, dial 2 now, for free directory assistance dial 411". Everything seems to be fine today. 

Pretty much the same thing you reported, I was able to get data using 3G. When trying to make calls, I got "To make a collect call to a mobile phone or a land line phone, press 1, to use or purchase a prepaid pin with your credit card, dial 2 now, for free directory assistance dial 411". Everything seems to be fine today. 

Never got the "to make a collect call" notification when trying to make outbound calls, I would get a busy tone when using my landline phone to call my GS3 almost like the signal was non-existent. 

I know this is 10 days late, but I am seeing this now. I live in Knoxville and work at the Sprint Corp store there. We received an email saying there were issues from East TN to Middle TN. I forget the exact cause of the problems, as I am not at work to access the email. I believe it was a main switch.

I know this is 10 days late, but I am seeing this now. I live in Knoxville and work at the Sprint Corp store there. We received an email saying there were issues from East TN to Middle TN. I forget the exact cause of the problems, as I am not at work to access the email. I believe it was a main switch.

Thanks for the info

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk