EVO LTE Heat

Odell

• 2 months later...

To all who have posted on this topic. I have experienced 2 HTC Evo phones that have heating issues. I cannot say that is it only because of the radios. I can update, download, and play apps and will notice my phone heating up. If I spend too much time on the phone it will get hot, even if I have the Wifi on. The heating issues have caused the software to screw up. Deleting apps, changing settings, and not being able to pull down the notification bar (the Sprint tech said the top portion of the phone sensors did not work and showed me his test). I am not sure that Qualcomm tested the correct Snapdragons or possibly used the wrong program to show off the heat it can show. I am currently awaiting my third Evo to come in. My first exchange happened within 30 days of buying the phone. This time it lasted longer. Still heat is an issue for me. Have I received a phone from a bad batch? I am sure that my next phone will be used catiously. I had one Sprint rep tell me that the SG3 heats up too.

To all who have posted on this topic. I have experienced 2 HTC Evo phones that have heating issues. I cannot say that is it only because of the radios. I can update, download, and play apps and will notice my phone heating up. If I spend too much time on the phone it will get hot, even if I have the Wifi on. The heating issues have caused the software to screw up. Deleting apps, changing settings, and not being able to pull down the notification bar (the Sprint tech said the top portion of the phone sensors did not work and showed me his test). I am not sure that Qualcomm tested the correct Snapdragons or possibly used the wrong program to show off the heat it can show. I am currently awaiting my third Evo to come in. My first exchange happened within 30 days of buying the phone. This time it lasted longer. Still heat is an issue for me. Have I received a phone from a bad batch? I am sure that my next phone will be used catiously. I had one Sprint rep tell me that the SG3 heats up too.

It does! Very badly...especially when I'm charging and using at the same time

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

It does! Very badly...especially when I'm charging and using at the same time

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I really had no issues with my OG Evo and wish I still had it. I have gone through more issues with phones since I got a Photon (4 total) and now the Evo LTE (3 total - awaiting #3 to arrive at my Sprint store for pickup).

Just two examples from this weekend Sprint thought I was crazy till I showed them this..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

My Viper hit 130.2 on Friday afternoon. Something is definitely wrong with these first gen LTE devices. I think I read that Verizon's Thunderbolt had overheating issues too.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Wow this is really odd? I play Dead Trigger on my EVO for hours sometimes and it never heats up? I did have it heat up once when I first tried out my new MHL adapter. Perhaps using the phone and charging is what causes it? I never use my phone and charge it as I always get at least a full day before needing to charge. I usually get 2 or 3 days with my normal use but if its a heavy day I'll charge it at night anyway just to be sure I won't run out the next day. How are you guys using the battery so fast?

Edited by Fifth313ment
  • Like 1

Wow this is really odd? I play Dead Trigger on my EVO for hours sometimes and it never heats up? I did have it heat up once when I first tried out my new MHL adapter. Perhaps using the phone and charging is what causes it? I never use my phone and charge it as I always get at least a full day before needing to charge. I usually get 2 or 3 days with my normal use but if its a heavy day I'll charge it at night anyway just to be sure I won't run out the next day. How are you guys using the battery so fast?

Do you use navigation? My battery goes real fast and the phone heats up using the GPS, and that's not charging.

I play the hell out of dead trigger(using the tegra 3 graphics hack) on my evo as well and most of the time the phone is on the charger when I play and it doesn't get hot at all. Honestly as much as I used this phone for various things, I don't ever recall it getting to hot for comfort. Unfortunately I can't say the same for my gnex which seems to want to go nuclear every time I pick it up. That thing runs hot for just about any reason.

Do you use navigation? My battery goes real fast and the phone heats up using the GPS, and that's not charging.

Using navigation, my evo lte gets warm but never hot but I can't say the same for my gnex. Just today I was out with a few friends and I had the sensorly app running on both my gnex and evo and after about 30 minutes of use it seemed like I could fry an egg on my gnex but my evo was just slightly warm.

For those that don't know, sensorly is an app that collects location data from its users to create a relatively accurate coverage map based on whatever connection you are on which in my case was lte. I have used it a few times and it updates the map with in a few hours, I think its pretty cool.

I play the hell out of dead trigger(using the tegra 3 graphics hack) on my evo as well and most of the time the phone is on the charger when I play and it doesn't get hot at all. Honestly as much as I used this phone for various things, I don't ever recall it getting to hot for comfort. Unfortunately I can't say the same for my gnex which seems to want to go nuclear every time I pick it up. That thing runs hot for just about any reason.

Using navigation, my evo lte gets warm but never hot but I can't say the same for my gnex. Just today I was out with a few friends and I had the sensorly app running on both my gnex and evo and after about 30 minutes of use it seemed like I could fry an egg on my gnex but my evo was just slightly warm.

For those that don't know, sensorly is an app that collects location data from its users to create a relatively accurate coverage map based on whatever connection you are on which in my case was lte. I have used it a few times and it updates the map with in a few hours, I think its pretty cool.

Sensorly runs when my phone is plugged in and I won't let it use more than 10% of my battery when not, and both ways my phone runs at around 105°-115°. GPS when plugged in shoots my temp up to 120° when unplugged and up to 125° at the extreme when plugged in. Sensorly, GPS, and trying to maintain my battery while plugged in made my phone jump to 130.2° last Friday in Washington. Let the egg fry begin!

Sensorly runs when my phone is plugged in and I won't let it use more than 10% of my battery when not, and both ways my phone runs at around 105°-115°. GPS when plugged in shoots my temp up to 120° when unplugged and up to 125° at the extreme when plugged in. Sensorly, GPS, and trying to maintain my battery while plugged in made my phone jump to 130.2° last Friday in Washington. Let the egg fry begin!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I went to make a phone call on the gnex while running sensorly and when I put the phone to my face I was like "holy sh..!!!!!" I could not believe how hot the phone was, I ended up just pulling the battery and leaving it sit for a few.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I went to make a phone call on the gnex while running sensorly and when I put the phone to my face I was like "holy sh..!!!!!" I could not believe how hot the phone was, I ended up just pulling the battery and leaving it sit for a few.

One way to help cool the phone off that I use is when I am in the car I just stick the phone in front of the AC vent and turn the AC all the way cold and maximum fan until it cools off. Works within 5 minutes. I'm going to take my phone back to Sprint and have them check it out to make sure this one isn't fried too.

Mine only gets hot when I am charging and uploading pictures to drop box. I just let it eat and don't worry about it. It will quickly go back time over and time over again if it dies.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Mine only gets hot when I am charging and uploading pictures to drop box. I just let it eat and don't worry about it. It will quickly go back time over and time over again if it dies.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

This seems to be a common occurrence for those of us that have file synchs and/or cloud backup services (google+ included) going constantly. I suppose if we turned off instant upload from different services it may help a bit

• 2 weeks later...